Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default How do you interest your wife in woodturning?

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 03:08:48 -0500, Prometheus wrote:

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 12:50:17 GMT, "T. Dougall"
wrote:

I have been trying to get my wife interested in woodturning to no avail. I
tried to interest her by asking her things like, do you think the grain on
this leg would be a good match for this one? Or which bowl shape do you
think would be nice for this blank? All I get for an answer is your the
turner you decide. So my question is how do you guys get your better
halves interested in what you are doing on the lathe?

Maybe she's just not into it- no big deal. My wife wasn't interested
in anything woodworking related until after we got married, but she
ended up developing an interest in scrollsawing and pyrography, as
well as making small jewelry-type boxes- the first two being things I
really just don't do. She tried out the lathe once and declared that
it was fun, but hasn't given it a second look since.

No great loss- I like having my turnery to myself, and her lack of
interest in my lathes doesn't bother me a bit.

Interesting point that dragged something from the memory banks.....
My wife kept telling me that pen turning looked like fun and that I should try
it... I didn't really consider it until she mentioned that maybe SHE'D try it if
I wasn't interested.. *g*

I really enjoy and appreciate my wife's company in the shop... she also does
pyrography (wood burning with higher price tag) and some carving, so we get to
spend time together without having to share our tools.. *g*
The crossover is fun, too.. she puts my name and info on bowls and I run her
stuff through the band saw when they need trimming or help her frame them...
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis