Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
LRod LRod is offline

Default How do you interest your wife in woodturning?

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 12:50:17 GMT, "T. Dougall"
wrote:

So my question is how do you guys get your better halves interested
in what you are doing on the lathe?

Two things: one, which has already been said, you probably can't
interest someone in something they aren't interested in. More
importantly, YOU probably can't interest your spouse in something
YOU'RE interested in. Like teaching a wife to drive. uh, uh.

Secondly, I'm aware of at least a couple of spouses who accompanied
their partner to woodworking get-togethers where lathe demoing was
done, and the spouse was put in the hands of an experienced turner
while the partner walked away and let the other turner work his/her
magic. I'm not sure which is more expensive: a divorce, or a second
turner in the household.

WoodCentral, my alternate home (as well as a few other wreckers), has
several folks who host such gatherings. There's one coming up in Indy
in a couple of weeks, and turning will be a large part of it. I went
to the Indy one about 3½ years ago, and there were at least a half
dozen lathes in use (including a Stubby, but don't expect that this
year).

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.