Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default How do you interest your wife in woodturning?

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 12:50:17 GMT, "T. Dougall"
wrote:

I have been trying to get my wife interested in woodturning to no avail. I
tried to interest her by asking her things like, do you think the grain on
this leg would be a good match for this one? Or which bowl shape do you
think would be nice for this blank? All I get for an answer is your the
turner you decide. So my question is how do you guys get your better
halves interested in what you are doing on the lathe?

Tom

My guess is that spouses are either interested or not.. and it can't be
forced... Maybe the best you're going to get is that she likes some of your
stuff enough to display it in the house..

I guess I'm pretty lucky because my wife not only is very involved in my
turning, but likes to spend time in the shop..
We both love wood and when I tried turning a chunk of firewood into a bowl after
reading Derrel's page, she loved it.. (she had no idea that I'd been turning for
years)

Things progressed pretty fast after that... a jet mini for Christmas, help 6
months later shopping for the jet 1442, encouraging me to spend money for more
and better tools, etc...

She does the wood burning on all the stuff, from my name and the year to designs
and highlights... and also has a really good eye for little shape details and is
willing to come out in the shop when I need advise...
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis