Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
bf bf is offline

Default How do you interest your wife in woodturning?

T. Dougall wrote:
I have been trying to get my wife interested in woodturning to no avail. I
tried to interest her by asking her things like, do you think the grain on
this leg would be a good match for this one? Or which bowl shape do you
think would be nice for this blank? All I get for an answer is your the
turner you decide. So my question is how do you guys get your better
halves interested in what you are doing on the lathe?

You have to accept that she's simply not interested. If she's not
interested, you can't force her. It's hard to realize that when you are
passionate about a hobby.

Look at it from her point of view. If she started collecting bottle
caps, you'd probably feign interest when she talks about her collection
and support her hobby, but I doubt you'd want to start your own
colllection (one that is genuinely yours.. ie pick up the hobby). You'd
probably keep an eye out for pieces for her collection and get pleasure
from that (since it makes her happy), but you wouldn't be as excited
about it as she is.