Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Very Newbie Question

Apologies if this is really stupid:
I just received my new Jet mini lathe and Pinacle tools from Woodcraft.
I have turned only once, many years ago. I honed the tools with some
rouge and then used the lathe. My cuts are really really rough, and I
think I'm just ripping the wood. How clean should I expect my cuts to
be? Does the wood species matter in this? Is it that my tools are
dull, or is my cutting technique poor, or both?
Thanks,
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
william kossack

depends on many things.

It takes practice lots of practice to get a finish surface. Even then
some woods will always produce a rough surface especially on end grain.

Another thing to do is go buy an inexpensive grinder (assuming your
chisels are inexpensive also) and put a proper edge on your tools.
Research sharpening on the net a bit and then try it again.

wrote:
Apologies if this is really stupid:
I just received my new Jet mini lathe and Pinacle tools from Woodcraft.
I have turned only once, many years ago. I honed the tools with some
rouge and then used the lathe. My cuts are really really rough, and I
think I'm just ripping the wood. How clean should I expect my cuts to
be? Does the wood species matter in this? Is it that my tools are
dull, or is my cutting technique poor, or both?
Thanks,
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dan Bollinger

Apologies if this is really stupid:
I just received my new Jet mini lathe and Pinacle tools from Woodcraft.
I have turned only once, many years ago. I honed the tools with some
rouge and then used the lathe. My cuts are really really rough, and I
think I'm just ripping the wood. How clean should I expect my cuts to
be? Does the wood species matter in this? Is it that my tools are
dull, or is my cutting technique poor, or both?
Thanks,

I'm going to guess that you are using your chisels and gouges as if they were
scrapers. That will produce a rough finish and is the most common mistake
beginners make. It is true that Scrapers are used with the tool held
horizontally, so the cutting edge scrapes along the spinning wood. But, Chisels
and Gouges are held with their handles dropped, pointing downwards. This causes
the cutting bevel (the underside portion you honed) to rub on the wood,
presenting the cutting edge to the wood.

Try this. Get a 2x4 and put it in a vise or clamp it to a table. Now, pick up
your sharpened gouge and make a cut in the wood. Notice how you instinctively
move the handle from vertical to an angle matching the cutting angle? That's
the trick! It's just a little trickier with spinning, round wood, but the idea
is the same.

I suggest finding a local turner to show you the basics, or get one of the
turning videos. Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Dan,
OK, that's helpful. I had set my toolrest at about the centerline of
the wood piece. Maybe if I set it a fraction higher that would allow
me a bit more of a downward angle. Or maybe move the toolrest a bit
further away (I was within 1/4" last time) to again allow for a more
downward angle. Does this sound about right? Also, yes, I know I need
to get some videos and books; I think I made a poor choice in my first
book entitled something like (sic) "Mini lathe: big projects from a
small lathe". I think I need a real basic book or video that's not
really project oriented, but technique oriented. Any suggestions on
that?
Thanks again,
Steve

Dan Bollinger wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dan Bollinger

Dan,
OK, that's helpful. I had set my toolrest at about the centerline of
the wood piece. Maybe if I set it a fraction higher that would allow
me a bit more of a downward angle. Or maybe move the toolrest a bit
further away (I was within 1/4" last time) to again allow for a more
downward angle. Does this sound about right? Also, yes, I know I need
to get some videos and books; I think I made a poor choice in my first
book entitled something like (sic) "Mini lathe: big projects from a
small lathe". I think I need a real basic book or video that's not
really project oriented, but technique oriented. Any suggestions on
that?
Thanks again,
Steve

Steve, Not quite! For gouge work, keep the tool rest close and a little below
the centerline. That will support the tool well and put the cutting edge on the
centerline. But don't just shove the gouge into the wood! Try this. Hold the
gouge with handle pointing toward the floor and cutting edge toward the ceiling,
and touching the tool rest. Slowly raise the handle. As you do the bottom of
the gouge will rub on the wood. Keep raising the handle, and the place were the
wood rubs will move toward the cutting edge. When you begin to get shavings,
freeze! That's the proper angle. What you want is the wood rubbing lightly on
the bevel.

Dan

Dan Bollinger wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Derek Hartzell

Get a good video. Some may learn the physical techniques from a book, but
most beginners will follow much better with a video.

For certain things, such as segmented work, a book might be better than a
video due to all the details that need to be conveyed.

Derek

wrote in message
oups.com...
Apologies if this is really stupid:
I just received my new Jet mini lathe and Pinacle tools from Woodcraft.
I have turned only once, many years ago. I honed the tools with some
rouge and then used the lathe. My cuts are really really rough, and I
think I'm just ripping the wood. How clean should I expect my cuts to
be? Does the wood species matter in this? Is it that my tools are
dull, or is my cutting technique poor, or both?
Thanks,
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Derek Hartzell" wrote in message
Get a good video. Some may learn the physical techniques from a book, but
most beginners will follow much better with a video.

For certain things, such as segmented work, a book might be better than a
video due to all the details that need to be conveyed.

Derek

wrote in message
oups.com...
Apologies if this is really stupid:
I just received my new Jet mini lathe and Pinacle tools from Woodcraft.
I have turned only once, many years ago. I honed the tools with some
rouge and then used the lathe. My cuts are really really rough, and I
think I'm just ripping the wood. How clean should I expect my cuts to
be? Does the wood species matter in this? Is it that my tools are
dull, or is my cutting technique poor, or both?
Thanks,
Steve

All of them matter, and if you read, reading will help. I'd look for
something besides a "How to turn X" book to get started. You're interested
in the basics that will allow you to turn X,Y and Z. Frank Pain _The
Practical Woodturner_, though out of print, has to be one of the best on how
tools cut and how wood "prefers to be cut. "

Cut , then peel is the technique. Anchor the tool _firmly_ on the toolrest
, match or even seat the Bevel to the contour of the wood, then pivot around
your fulcrum to make the Cut that starts the peel. I like to lock up the
small muscles, using a shift in weight to make the entry. Saves a lot of
bounce and rip.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Russ Stanton

Would this approach of elevating the handle until the bevel touches work for
pen turning?

If so about how low relative to the pen mandrel should I set the tool rest?

Russ
news

Dan Bollinger wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On 23 Jun 2006 07:50:32 -0700, wrote:

Not a problem, Steve... usually called Mark or Mike... I answer to most
anything.. *g*

Dan Bollinger wrote:
[...]

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 08:58:28 -0400, "Russ Stanton"
wrote:

Would this approach of elevating the handle until the bevel touches work for
pen turning?

If so about how low relative to the pen mandrel should I set the tool rest?

Russ

It should work on any type of turning, assuming the tool rest is properly
positioned, as far as I can see..

It's important to note that different chisels are different thicknesses and
grind angles and can need different rest heights..

I might be doing something wrong, but I raise my rest from "spindle gouge"
height for skew and scraper work and lower it for bowl gouges..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks again for all the advice. I spent some time this weekend
practicing and trying out some of the recommendations posted here. I
found that rubbing the bevel is very important...that's the tip I found
the most helpful. This allowed me to really peel the wood off. I was
getting a really nice edge on some maple. I've read up on sharpening
and ordered a 60 grit Norton white wheel for a 1750 RPM electric motor
I have. My tools were fairly sharp on Friday evening and now they need
sharpening...hope that wheel gets here soon. So here is another
question: If I were to buy one introductory video (perferably on DVD)
what should it be? I'd like something that is packed with information
on turning techniques and sharpening.
Thanks again,
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mark Fitzsimmons

mac davis wrote:
Honing is only effective if the tool is pretty sharp already.. otherwise, you're
not honing an edge, you're polishing it and it looks pretty, but is also pretty
dull...

Yeah, what he said. When you look at the edge in with light shining
from behind your head, and you can see a shiny metal line where the
edge is, that means it's dull, because the light is reflecting off a
radius. When it's really sharp, the edge is so fine you should be hard
pressed to see any line of reflected light on the edge.

I use 60 grit wheels only to really change the shape of a tool or grind
back a long way from a bad chip on the tool. Grinding with 60 grit can
require a lot of honing with finer stones to smooth out the ridges and
valleys of the edge left by the wheel. That said, a light touch and
smoothing the wheel with a dresser can still produce great edges for
lots of roughing work, especially for scrapers, where many people love
to keep the burr on the edge. Once you've mastered the 60 grit wheel
and wish it were sharper, you might try 100 or 120.

I do it both ways (burr/ no burr) depending on the wood. For really
punky wood that's spalted, you almost have to scrape to get the best
finish before you sand. Trying to cut punky wood gives more tear outs
than a razor sharp scraper, no burr, just honed to the point you can
shave hairs off your arm.

In fact, until you can master cutting methods, you'll probably get your
cleanest surface (by which I mean not just smooth, but a fair line on
the profile that doesn't have bumps and valleys) with a razor sharp
scraper. Often this need -- to have a fair line on profile -- trumps
smooth surface and minimal sanding.

It's hard to cut a fair curve with a gouge, even when it's sharp, and
takes a lot of practice. I've been turning 24 years and still have to
clean up some gouge work with a good scraper now and then. It gets
harder as the diameter of the wood gets larger, since it takes longer
for the wood to come around, and you have to remain stationary longer.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Mark Fitzsimmons" wrote in message
ups.com...

mac davis wrote:
Honing is only effective if the tool is pretty sharp already.. otherwise,
you're
not honing an edge, you're polishing it and it looks pretty, but is also
pretty
dull...

Yeah, what he said. When you look at the edge in with light shining
from behind your head, and you can see a shiny metal line where the
edge is, that means it's dull, because the light is reflecting off a
radius. When it's really sharp, the edge is so fine you should be hard
pressed to see any line of reflected light on the edge.

Hmm- this pertains to non-hollow ground edges? A hollow ground edge always
shows a shiny line at edge and heel. Of course even a non-hollow ground
edge can shine if you've changed the sharpness angle. They call it a
"microbevel."

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mark Fitzsimmons

mac davis wrote:
Honing is only effective if the tool is pretty sharp already.. otherwise,
you're
not honing an edge, you're polishing it and it looks pretty, but is also
pretty
dull...

Yeah, what he said. When you look at the edge in with light shining
from behind your head, and you can see a shiny metal line where the
edge is, that means it's dull, because the light is reflecting off a
radius. When it's really sharp, the edge is so fine you should be hard
pressed to see any line of reflected light on the edge.

Hmm- this pertains to non-hollow ground edges? A hollow ground edge always
shows a shiny line at edge and heel. Of course even a non-hollow ground
edge can shine if you've changed the sharpness angle. They call it a
"microbevel."

No, hollow ground. I'm talking about looking at it from the angle that
bisects the angle of the cutting edge, not looking at the bevel
straight on. Any edge, if sharp, the shiny line should be nearly
invisible. You want to sharpen until the shiny line (radiused edge)
disappears. If light reflects off the "edge" back into your eye when
the edge is pointed at your eye, that means there is metal that is
parallel to your eye, in other words, not aligned with either the bevel
or the tool surface, in other words, not sharp.

I mean point the tool at your eye periodically while you're turning:
eye ball ) edge points at the eye
and a shiny line will indicate the tool is getting dull. the line will
get smaller and disappear as you hone, If the radius is really bad,
like from super hard wood, you might grind until the shiny line
disappears then hone, but sometimes just a few strokes with the stone
is enough without the grinder. Or if the grind is coarse, you'll see a
crooked line that gets straighter as you hone.

George is talking about this viewing angle:
eye ball ) /\ bevel
and then you'll see much wider shiny lines at the edge and heel of the
hollow ground, which get wider as you hone.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[...]

OK, sounds like you've got something that works, though I still can't see
the logic nor do I recognize the effect. I sharpen based on tactile
feedback, rather than looking at gouges nose on.