Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default Very Newbie Question

"Mark Fitzsimmons" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hmm- this pertains to non-hollow ground edges? A hollow ground edge
always
shows a shiny line at edge and heel. Of course even a non-hollow ground
edge can shine if you've changed the sharpness angle. They call it a
"microbevel."

No, hollow ground. I'm talking about looking at it from the angle that
bisects the angle of the cutting edge, not looking at the bevel
straight on. Any edge, if sharp, the shiny line should be nearly
invisible. You want to sharpen until the shiny line (radiused edge)
disappears. If light reflects off the "edge" back into your eye when
the edge is pointed at your eye, that means there is metal that is
parallel to your eye, in other words, not aligned with either the bevel
or the tool surface, in other words, not sharp.

OK, sounds like you've got something that works, though I still can't see
the logic nor do I recognize the effect. I sharpen based on tactile
feedback, rather than looking at gouges nose on.