Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default Very Newbie Question

On 23 Jun 2006 07:50:32 -0700, wrote:

Not a problem, Steve... usually called Mark or Mike... I answer to most
anything.. *g*

Mac: I called you 'Mike'. Sorry and thanks again.
Steve

wrote:
Dan: Thanks for the clarification; I'll try that. Mike: thanks for the
links; I'm checking them out now.
Steve

Dan Bollinger wrote:
Dan,
OK, that's helpful. I had set my toolrest at about the centerline of
the wood piece. Maybe if I set it a fraction higher that would allow
me a bit more of a downward angle. Or maybe move the toolrest a bit
further away (I was within 1/4" last time) to again allow for a more
downward angle. Does this sound about right? Also, yes, I know I need
to get some videos and books; I think I made a poor choice in my first
book entitled something like (sic) "Mini lathe: big projects from a
small lathe". I think I need a real basic book or video that's not
really project oriented, but technique oriented. Any suggestions on
that?
Thanks again,
Steve

Steve, Not quite! For gouge work, keep the tool rest close and a little below
the centerline. That will support the tool well and put the cutting edge on the
centerline. But don't just shove the gouge into the wood! Try this. Hold the
gouge with handle pointing toward the floor and cutting edge toward the ceiling,
and touching the tool rest. Slowly raise the handle. As you do the bottom of
the gouge will rub on the wood. Keep raising the handle, and the place were the
wood rubs will move toward the cutting edge. When you begin to get shavings,
freeze! That's the proper angle. What you want is the wood rubbing lightly on
the bevel.

Dan

Dan Bollinger wrote:
Apologies if this is really stupid:
I just received my new Jet mini lathe and Pinacle tools from Woodcraft.
I have turned only once, many years ago. I honed the tools with some
rouge and then used the lathe. My cuts are really really rough, and I
think I'm just ripping the wood. How clean should I expect my cuts to
be? Does the wood species matter in this? Is it that my tools are
dull, or is my cutting technique poor, or both?
Thanks,

I'm going to guess that you are using your chisels and gouges as if they were
scrapers. That will produce a rough finish and is the most common mistake
beginners make. It is true that Scrapers are used with the tool held
horizontally, so the cutting edge scrapes along the spinning wood. But,
Chisels
and Gouges are held with their handles dropped, pointing downwards. This
causes
the cutting bevel (the underside portion you honed) to rub on the wood,
presenting the cutting edge to the wood.

Try this. Get a 2x4 and put it in a vise or clamp it to a table. Now, pick
up
your sharpened gouge and make a cut in the wood. Notice how you
instinctively
move the handle from vertical to an angle matching the cutting angle? That's
the trick! It's just a little trickier with spinning, round wood, but the
idea
is the same.

I suggest finding a local turner to show you the basics, or get one of the
turning videos. Dan

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis