Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default Very Newbie Question

On 23 Jun 2006 05:56:52 -0700, wrote:

Apologies if this is really stupid:
I just received my new Jet mini lathe and Pinacle tools from Woodcraft.
I have turned only once, many years ago. I honed the tools with some
rouge and then used the lathe. My cuts are really really rough, and I
think I'm just ripping the wood. How clean should I expect my cuts to
be? Does the wood species matter in this? Is it that my tools are
dull, or is my cutting technique poor, or both?
Thanks,
Steve

probably both tools and use of same... we all start like that... *g*

Honing is only effective if the tool is pretty sharp already.. otherwise, you're
not honing an edge, you're polishing it and it looks pretty, but is also pretty
dull...

Try browsing some of these sites for a jump start on your turning experience...
and welcome to the addiction!

http://www.enter.net/~ultradad/index.html

http://aroundthewoods.com/

http://personalpages.tds.net/~upgeorge/index.html