Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default Very Newbie Question

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 08:58:28 -0400, "Russ Stanton"
wrote:

Would this approach of elevating the handle until the bevel touches work for
pen turning?

If so about how low relative to the pen mandrel should I set the tool rest?

Russ

It should work on any type of turning, assuming the tool rest is properly
positioned, as far as I can see..

It's important to note that different chisels are different thicknesses and
grind angles and can need different rest heights..

I might be doing something wrong, but I raise my rest from "spindle gouge"
height for skew and scraper work and lower it for bowl gouges..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis