Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Very Newbie Question

Apologies if this is really stupid:
I just received my new Jet mini lathe and Pinacle tools from Woodcraft.
I have turned only once, many years ago. I honed the tools with some
rouge and then used the lathe. My cuts are really really rough, and I
think I'm just ripping the wood. How clean should I expect my cuts to
be? Does the wood species matter in this? Is it that my tools are
dull, or is my cutting technique poor, or both?
Thanks,
Steve