Tom Nie

Default Opinions on DVR3000, Jet 1642, Oneway 1224, JWL-1442

Would really appreciate hearing your feelings on these lathes.
TomNie

Harry Pye

Tom,

Would really appreciate hearing your feelings on these lathes.

I just went through the same evaluation and ordered a Nova 3000 DVR. I
didn't consider the Jet 1442 because I wanted electronic speed control
and it has a Reeves drive.

The Oneway is probably one of the best lathes around but it's swing of
twelve inches was not that much more than my Delta Midi. But I think the
1224 was my second choice. One plus, it comes with a stand.

The Jet 1642 is a nice lathe and has all of the features that I wanted.
I can or could be had on Amazon for under $1800 with free shipping. But,
it is just to darn big. I don't turn large things between centers. I
turn pens and start bowls between centers but don't make any spindles.
It comes with legs and should be a serious contender.

I settled on the DVR because it had everything I wanted and was at a
price I could afford. On the downside, the stand is not included. I
haven't heard one bad thing about it and Brad at Packard Woodworks said
they have had no problems with the ones they have sold. No belts, good
speed range, fair distance between centers, 16" swing. Mine is sitting
in a trucking terminal not to far from here where I will pick it up
tomorrow. Meanwhile I'm building a stand.

Hope this helps.
George

"Harry Pye" wrote in message
groups.com...
I settled on the DVR because it had everything I wanted and was at a price
I could afford. On the downside, the stand is not included. I haven't
heard one bad thing about it and Brad at Packard Woodworks said they have
had no problems with the ones they have sold. No belts, good speed range,
fair distance between centers, 16" swing. Mine is sitting in a trucking
terminal not to far from here where I will pick it up tomorrow. Meanwhile
I'm building a stand.

Got a good workable stand for the plain old 3000 that you can see here.
http://georgephoto.photosite.com/~ph...7072183620.jpg
Two big pluses are the footprint is wider than the swing for stability, and
the lathe is elevated for cleanup.

Oh yes, the 400mm swing figure is correct, at least for the 3000. Don't cut
at 16".

RonB

I have owned a Jet 1442 for about two years and I am very satisfied. I am
not a "dedicated" woodturner but use the machine to fabricate parts for my
woodworking projects. I have, however, made a few of simple vases, etc.
The only complaint I had was a sticking speed control and periodic cleaning
of the belt mechanism fixes that (I think time has loosened it up too). The
machine has plenty of power to do any project I need to do in my shop.

I would buy it again.

RonB

Earl

I can't comment on any of these lathes. When I decided to buy a better
one I went for the Powermatic. But I can say not to buy any lathe with
the Reeves drive. It may be fine for occasional use and many of us have
used it for a lot more than that (I had the Delta) but it is old
technology and will always result in more vibration and more upkeep.
Get an electronic variable speed. You will be far happier in the long
run.
Earl

mac davis

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 15:23:05 -0400, "Tom Nie" wrote:

Would really appreciate hearing your feelings on these lathes.
TomNie

If money is no object, (you ARE considering a Oneway), go for the biggest Oneway
that you can afford.. *g*

I have the Jet 1442 with the reeves drive and love it... (but having owned
shopsmiths for over 30 years, I'm used to them)

It's the best buy for the money that I could find.. 1/2 the price of a 16" lathe
and only about $200 more than the 14" Delta... (my research showed that it was
MUCH more than a 200 difference in quality)

I looked at the 16" lathes, but they were too expensive, took up too much space
and were way too big for our upcoming move to Mexico...
I went to 14" because the next step up from my Jet mini was a 12" and I always
try to skip a step..

Look up turning clubs in your area, Tom.. and see what they demo on and what
some of the members are using.. they might even let you make shavings on a few
different lathes so you can get the feel for them.. YMM (and probably will)V

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Bill Grumbine

Arrrgghhh! This is one of those where I would like to respond, but for some
reason, my news server does not always get everything in the thread, so I am
tagging on to Mac's response here.

I recently put another lathe into my shop to give students who want to spend
time with me some more opportunities. Besides, there is no such thing as
too many lathes! Because of cost and space considerations, I narrowed my
choices down to the Nova DVR and the Jet 1642. I was asking around about
these two lathes when a friend of mine suggested that I look at the Vega
bowl lathe. To make a long story a little shorter, I did, and there is now
one sitting in my shop. It will spin a 26" bowl, but takes up less floor
space than my Vicmarc mini (with the tailstock removed). If you are
interested in this machine as a possibility, I would be glad to provide
some details.
--
Bill

Bill Grumbine
www.wonderfulwood.com
www.enter.net/~ultradad
"mac davis" wrote in message
[...]

Fred Holder

Hello Tom,

I'm sure I'm a bit biased, but I had a Nova 3000 for three years and now have a
Nova DVR 3000 for the last three years. I believe the Nova DVR 3000 is the best
lathe on the market for under $2,000. Simply getting rid of the drive belt
significantly reduced the vibration of the machine. This machine has new motor
technology that really makes the lathe perform well. I highly recommend the
Teknatool lathe over the Jet. The 16" over the bed and 30" with the headstock
swivelled 90 degrees is hard to beat.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com/

In article , Tom Nie says...

Would really appreciate hearing your feelings on these lathes.
TomNie

Jeff

"Earl" wrote in message
ps.com...
I can't comment on any of these lathes. When I decided to buy a better
one I went for the Powermatic. But I can say not to buy any lathe with
the Reeves drive. It may be fine for occasional use and many of us have
used it for a lot more than that (I had the Delta) but it is old
technology and will always result in more vibration and more upkeep.
Get an electronic variable speed. You will be far happier in the long
run.
Earl

Earl,

I would concur with your opinion on the Reeves drive. It is old technology,
and the maintenance will certainly be more intensive than with an electronic
VS drive.

However, where cost is an object, or for new turners who may be unsure if
turning will be a lifetime commitment, the Reeves drive is cost effective
and eminently usable. Modern Reeves drives tend to be smoother than some of
those on older model lathes. And unless someone is using their lathe on a
daily 8-hour+ duty cycle, such as a production turner, it will probably
suffice--at least until the turner is convinced that wood turning is for
him, or until that time when he becomes a "heavy user." Buying a less
expensive lathe--but a quality one--is probably not an entirely bad idea for
the newcomer. Such lathes tend to be quite marketable when the turner gains
some experience and wishes to move up, or when he decides that turning just
isn't his thing. When that time arrives, the loss from selling a
modestly-priced lathe vs. that from selling an expensive one is
substantially less.

I tend to believe that springing for a rather expensive lathe from the
get-go is probably not wise, at least until one knows for sure that turning
is in his blood and something worth continuing.

Jeff

JRJohnson

"Earl" wrote in message
ps.com...
I can't comment on any of these lathes. When I decided to buy a better
one I went for the Powermatic. But I can say not to buy any lathe with
the Reeves drive. It may be fine for occasional use and many of us have
used it for a lot more than that (I had the Delta) but it is old
technology and will always result in more vibration and more upkeep.
Get an electronic variable speed. You will be far happier in the long
run.
Earl

Hmmm, no Reeves drive, huh? Well, for the lathe I built back in 1987-88 I
built a compound Reeves drive (7-1 speed ratio). In the thousands of hours
that I have run it since, I have replaced the belts once, and a couple of
bearings. If anything goes wrong, I can fix it. Admittedly, the electronic
variable speed drives are quieter and smoother, but if they go bad, you are
out of business for a while. Just my 2 cents worth.

Regards,
James R. Johnson
Hill Country Texas Turner (for many more than 20 years)

Stephen M

"Earl" wrote in message
ps.com...
I can't comment on any of these lathes. When I decided to buy a better
one I went for the Powermatic. But I can say not to buy any lathe with
the Reeves drive. It may be fine for occasional use and many of us have
used it for a lot more than that (I had the Delta) but it is old
technology and will always result in more vibration and more upkeep.
Get an electronic variable speed. You will be far happier in the long
run.
Earl

Old = bad is a silly argument.

Is EVS better? I've never used it but I'll bet it is.

Entry level EVS is roughly twice the price. It's simply not a fair
comparison

I have a Jet 1442... it is so much better than my old craftsman monotube
unit. I looked at EVS lathes but decided that they were simply out of my
budget. I find the 1442 excellent in terms of beef, fit, finish and overall
quality. An excellent value for the money. The real limitation if the 1442
minimum speed (that is you will likely be limitted by that factor before any
other).

I am not a bowl turner, although I have dabbled. My turning is primarily to
support general woodworking (table legs, spindles, knobs). Bed length 24"
was a "must have". I can do bowls, this unit is simply not *optomized* for
that type of work.

1444 was the right choice for me.

It depends on you budget and your focus.

RonB

Admittedly, the electronic
variable speed drives are quieter and smoother, but if they go bad, you
are
out of business for a while. Just my 2 cents worth.

And I suspect the belts are cheaper that repair of the electronic speed
control. Just and opinion.

RonB

Q47M

Buy the Jet 1442 !

You will spend a lot less money and have a much heavier lathe...and it
comes with a stand.

LB
mac davis

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 08:45:19 -0500, "RonB" wrote:

Admittedly, the electronic
variable speed drives are quieter and smoother, but if they go bad, you
are
out of business for a while. Just my 2 cents worth.

And I suspect the belts are cheaper that repair of the electronic speed
control. Just and opinion.

RonB

I think that the more we turn, the less we change speed... at least while
working on a bowl or such..
I find that I change the speed before I turn, mostly depending on the diameter
of the turning, and don't change speeds much once the piece is trued, etc...
Anyway, for me, the reeves on the 1442 is great, once you get the feel of it..
it's just a step up from stopping the lathe and moving a belt, but that step
gets old after a while...

A drawback of the reeves, IMO, is that you can't change pulley sizes...
I'd love to cut all my speeds by 1/2....YMMV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
George

"mac davis" wrote in message
I think that the more we turn, the less we change speed... at least while

working on a bowl or such..

I tend to agree. Two speeds roughing, 350 slow until it's round, then 700
inside are about all I use. Still changing belt positions though. For dry
stuff, 700 is the start and end.

mac davis

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:25:50 -0400, "George" George@least wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
I think that the more we turn, the less we change speed... at least while

working on a bowl or such..

I tend to agree. Two speeds roughing, 350 slow until it's round, then 700
inside are about all I use. Still changing belt positions though. For dry
stuff, 700 is the start and end.

I would love to turn at 350!!

For an average bowl (8" - 10") I pretty much rough at 450, turn at 600 and sand
at 450...
I'd love to cut my speeds in half, starting at 225 and going to 1,500... I can't
imagine turning anything at 1,500 or especially at 3,000!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Derek Hartzell

I don't disagree with you that Reeves drive cannot work. In my Delta 14" x
40" there were a number of shortcomings compared to commercial lathes with
EVS drives.

1. The Reeves drive is overhung beyond the inner bearing resulting in 4"
c-c bearing locations.
2. The die cast motor pulley slides back and forth on a steel shaft. The
keyway developed slop resulting in poor shifting.
3. Since Reeves drives are normally provided instead of electronic for cost
considerations, there is generally no jackshaft between motor pulley and
shaft pulley to reduce speeds to nice low speeds for large bowls.
4. The spring tension that opens and closes the motor pulley is not
consistent with the shaft pulley movement, resulting in low belt tension at
high speeds.

"JRJohnson" wrote in message Hmmm, no Reeves drive, huh? Well, for the
lathe I built back in 1987-88 I
built a compound Reeves drive (7-1 speed ratio). In the thousands of

hours
that I have run it since, I have replaced the belts once, and a couple of
bearings. If anything goes wrong, I can fix it. Admittedly, the

electronic
variable speed drives are quieter and smoother, but if they go bad, you

are
out of business for a while. Just my 2 cents worth.

Derek Hartzell

I don't disagree with you that a Reeves drive can work.

william kossack

With my DVR when I put on a new chunk I start out at 100 rpm (unless I'm
sure of the ballance). Then I slowly crank up the rpm. If I reach a
point where I'm seeing too much vibration I crank it back and start
rounding.

PS very interesting news about the new DVR XP. Headstock with windings
to give more power and new electronics that give more power at low rpm.
There are or will be kits available to upgrade an existing DVR to the
new electronics.

mac davis wrote:
On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:25:50 -0400, "George" George@least wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
. ..

I think that the more we turn, the less we change speed... at least while

working on a bowl or such..

I tend to agree. Two speeds roughing, 350 slow until it's round, then 700
inside are about all I use. Still changing belt positions though. For dry
stuff, 700 is the start and end.

I would love to turn at 350!!

For an average bowl (8" - 10") I pretty much rough at 450, turn at 600 and sand
at 450...
I'd love to cut my speeds in half, starting at 225 and going to 1,500... I can't
imagine turning anything at 1,500 or especially at 3,000!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Owen Lowe

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

I can't
imagine turning anything at 1,500 or especially at 3,000!

Durnin's jusd fine ad doe-s speeds; I don'd hab any prodlems. Ebryding I
durn is ad 1800 doo 2500 rpms. Pardon my drooling - hab had prodlems
since lasd week 'cause I gawd no frawn teed lefd!

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Pour your end-grain sealer into a clean, wide-mouth
clothes detergent bottle. The lid makes a handy dipping container for
your brush and the leftovers will drain back into the bottle when you
recap the jug.

OneWay 1224 Larry Day Woodturning 4 March 5th 05 10:04 AM
Bowl coring system? Andrew Barss Woodturning 21 February 14th 05 05:46 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM