mac davis

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 08:45:19 -0500, "RonB" wrote:

Admittedly, the electronic
variable speed drives are quieter and smoother, but if they go bad, you
are
out of business for a while. Just my 2 cents worth.

And I suspect the belts are cheaper that repair of the electronic speed
control. Just and opinion.

RonB

I think that the more we turn, the less we change speed... at least while
working on a bowl or such..
I find that I change the speed before I turn, mostly depending on the diameter
of the turning, and don't change speeds much once the piece is trued, etc...
Anyway, for me, the reeves on the 1442 is great, once you get the feel of it..
it's just a step up from stopping the lathe and moving a belt, but that step
gets old after a while...

A drawback of the reeves, IMO, is that you can't change pulley sizes...
I'd love to cut all my speeds by 1/2....YMMV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing