Jeff

"Earl" wrote in message
ps.com...
I can't comment on any of these lathes. When I decided to buy a better
one I went for the Powermatic. But I can say not to buy any lathe with
the Reeves drive. It may be fine for occasional use and many of us have
used it for a lot more than that (I had the Delta) but it is old
technology and will always result in more vibration and more upkeep.
Get an electronic variable speed. You will be far happier in the long
run.
Earl

Earl,

I would concur with your opinion on the Reeves drive. It is old technology,
and the maintenance will certainly be more intensive than with an electronic
VS drive.

However, where cost is an object, or for new turners who may be unsure if
turning will be a lifetime commitment, the Reeves drive is cost effective
and eminently usable. Modern Reeves drives tend to be smoother than some of
those on older model lathes. And unless someone is using their lathe on a
daily 8-hour+ duty cycle, such as a production turner, it will probably
suffice--at least until the turner is convinced that wood turning is for
him, or until that time when he becomes a "heavy user." Buying a less
expensive lathe--but a quality one--is probably not an entirely bad idea for
the newcomer. Such lathes tend to be quite marketable when the turner gains
some experience and wishes to move up, or when he decides that turning just
isn't his thing. When that time arrives, the loss from selling a
modestly-priced lathe vs. that from selling an expensive one is
substantially less.

I tend to believe that springing for a rather expensive lathe from the
get-go is probably not wise, at least until one knows for sure that turning
is in his blood and something worth continuing.

Jeff