Stephen M

"Earl" wrote in message
ps.com...
I can't comment on any of these lathes. When I decided to buy a better
one I went for the Powermatic. But I can say not to buy any lathe with
the Reeves drive. It may be fine for occasional use and many of us have
used it for a lot more than that (I had the Delta) but it is old
technology and will always result in more vibration and more upkeep.
Get an electronic variable speed. You will be far happier in the long
run.
Earl

Old = bad is a silly argument.

Is EVS better? I've never used it but I'll bet it is.

Entry level EVS is roughly twice the price. It's simply not a fair
comparison

I have a Jet 1442... it is so much better than my old craftsman monotube
unit. I looked at EVS lathes but decided that they were simply out of my
budget. I find the 1442 excellent in terms of beef, fit, finish and overall
quality. An excellent value for the money. The real limitation if the 1442
minimum speed (that is you will likely be limitted by that factor before any
other).

I am not a bowl turner, although I have dabbled. My turning is primarily to
support general woodworking (table legs, spindles, knobs). Bed length 24"
was a "must have". I can do bowls, this unit is simply not *optomized* for
that type of work.

1444 was the right choice for me.

It depends on you budget and your focus.