Dave Plowman

Default Joining the 21st century...

After a couple of vast phone bills I'm going broadband. I'm having
problems getting it set up due to my Acorn browser not talking properly to
the router, but that's not my question.
I've got phone sockets in every room - two in some - and I didn't take
particular care when installing the cable. And this computer is on the
very last socket on the chain. Rather than provide filters everywhere, I'd
like to put the router in the cellar where the line comes in, with just
the one filter before it, then run Cat5 to both the computers up the side
of the house. Anything wrong with this plan?

--
*If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Colin

the one filter before it, then run Cat5 to both the computers up the side
of the house. Anything wrong with this plan?

Similar to what I did, except I ran the cables down the house.

You may find that the CAT5 cable is not UV stable and will break down after
a few years...

I ran my cable down the back of the gutter downpipe (fastened with cable
ties) so that it wouldn't be visible. I also painted over the cable with the
same paint as the downpipe to help preserve it longer(?) So far so good...

Colin

Owain

"Dave Plowman" wrote
| I've got phone sockets in every room - two in some - and I didn't
| take particular care when installing the cable. And this
| computer is on the very last socket on the chain. Rather than
| provide filters everywhere, I'd like to put the router in the cellar
| where the line comes in,

Eminently sensible.

| with just the one filter before it, then run Cat5 to both the
| computers up the side of the house. Anything wrong with this plan?

You've got the filter in the wrong place :-) The filter blocks the broadband
signal.

The line needs to be split:

|------ ROUTER ------- PC
| / HUB ------- PC
LINE -----

|-------FILTER ------- PHONES

Owain

the q

"Dave Plowman" wrote in message
After a couple of vast phone bills I'm going broadband. I'm having
problems getting it set up due to my Acorn browser not talking properly to
the router, but that's not my question.
I've got phone sockets in every room - two in some -

-- I do hope you've not overloaded the REN rating of the phone line

(normally max 4 REN)

The Q

Rick Dipper

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 18:15:48 +0100, Dave Plowman
wrote:

After a couple of vast phone bills I'm going broadband. I'm having
problems getting it set up due to my Acorn browser not talking properly to
the router, but that's not my question.
I've got phone sockets in every room - two in some - and I didn't take
particular care when installing the cable. And this computer is on the
very last socket on the chain. Rather than provide filters everywhere, I'd
like to put the router in the cellar where the line comes in, with just
the one filter before it, then run Cat5 to both the computers up the side
of the house. Anything wrong with this plan?

Try a router with a wireless connection. no cat 5 to run, you can even
sit in the garden in the sun with a beer, and the PC on your knee ..

Chris

"Dave Plowman" wrote in message
After a couple of vast phone bills I'm going broadband. I'm having
problems getting it set up due to my Acorn browser not talking properly to
the router, but that's not my question.
I've got phone sockets in every room - two in some - and I didn't take
particular care when installing the cable. And this computer is on the
very last socket on the chain. Rather than provide filters everywhere, I'd
like to put the router in the cellar where the line comes in, with just
the one filter before it, then run Cat5 to both the computers up the side
of the house. Anything wrong with this plan?

Have a look at this replacement master socket, it might help.

http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate_mod.htm

It allows you to have just one filter in the circuit. Only draw back is you
need a spare pair in your cable run the extention sockets.

Chris

- remove nogo to reply -

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Rick Dipper wrote:
Try a router with a wireless connection. no cat 5 to run, you can even
sit in the garden in the sun with a beer, and the PC on your knee ..

I've absolutely no wish to have a PC on my knee.

--
*Many people quit looking for work when they find a job *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Hywel wrote:
What about buying a wireless access point (to plug in to the router in
the cellar) and using wireless network cards. More expensive that CAT5,
and potentially slower, but easier to install.

Don't want wireless.

Filters are only a couple of quid, though, so why not get a bunch of
those? In fact, http://www.ebuyer.com/ has them for £0.99 ex. VAT.

And have them hanging out the sockets? No thanks.

--
*It's not hard to meet expenses... they're everywhere.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Owain wrote:
I'd like to put the router in the cellar
| where the line comes in,

Eminently sensible.

| with just the one filter before it, then run Cat5 to both the
| computers up the side of the house. Anything wrong with this plan?

You've got the filter in the wrong place :-) The filter blocks the
broadband signal.

Yup - although the ones supplied have telephone line in/out and output to
router. Of course I'd prefer a 'hard wired' one for this purpose.

--
*Santa's helpers are subordinate clauses.*

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Dave Plowman

In article ,
the q wrote:
I've got phone sockets in every room - two in some -

I do hope you've not overloaded the REN rating of the phone line
(normally max 4 REN)

I've got 6 phones and two modems at the moment, and they all work just
fine. REN 1 is the lowest *quoted* number, but most modern phones are well
below this, and things like modems that don't ring should be near 0.
Besides, the REN 4 limit is a bit conservative if you're not far from the
exchange.

--
*Why is a boxing ring square?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Richard Savage

Owain wrote:

"Dave Plowman" wrote
| I've got phone sockets in every room - two in some - and I didn't
| take particular care when installing the cable. And this
| computer is on the very last socket on the chain. Rather than
| provide filters everywhere, I'd like to put the router in the cellar
| where the line comes in,

Eminently sensible.

| with just the one filter before it, then run Cat5 to both the
| computers up the side of the house. Anything wrong with this plan?

You've got the filter in the wrong place :-) The filter blocks the broadband
signal.

The line needs to be split:

|------ ROUTER ------- PC
| / HUB ------- PC
LINE -----

|-------FILTER ------- PHONES

Owain

The above is exactly what my combined filter and (BT) master box does.
It's a direct replacement for the BT master box, i.e. one with a
removable front that disconnects the BT line from the house. It has two
sockets - one for your ADSL modem and one for your phones. You can also
hardwire your phone wiring into the back of the cover. Bought it from
Solwise for a tenner.

Rgds Richard

Hywel

In article ,
says...
Hywel wrote:
In article ,
says...
After a couple of vast phone bills I'm going broadband. I'm having
problems getting it set up due to my Acorn browser not talking properly to
the router, but that's not my question.
I've got phone sockets in every room - two in some - and I didn't take
particular care when installing the cable. And this computer is on the
very last socket on the chain. Rather than provide filters everywhere, I'd
like to put the router in the cellar where the line comes in, with just
the one filter before it, then run Cat5 to both the computers up the side
of the house. Anything wrong with this plan?

What about buying a wireless access point (to plug in to the router in
the cellar) and using wireless network cards. More expensive that CAT5,
and potentially slower, but easier to install.

In some cases.
If you happen to be unlucky and your walls do not cooperate, then it
can simply be impossible.

Them uncooperative walls can certainly get in the way of technology.

For example, foil vapour barriers, chickenwire in the walls, thick stone
are all bad news.

I can lose signal 5m away from the router in my home.

That's bad.

Admittedly, 1m of that is a stone chimney breast.

That's why.

It can be almost impossible to tell if a wireless system you have
will work in more than one room, without knowledge of the building
construction.

Of course. I have CAT5 to rooms at the front of our house but use 54G
wireless at the back because the route is shorter. One of the joys of
living in a Victorian brick-built house. Still, at least I could put up
shelves on any downstairs wall if I wanted

I have considered peering the wireless by using intermediate relays, but
Swmbo wouldn't understand.

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://kibo.org.uk/
Ian Stirling

Dave Plowman wrote:
In article ,
Owain wrote:
I'd like to put the router in the cellar
| where the line comes in,

Eminently sensible.

| with just the one filter before it, then run Cat5 to both the
| computers up the side of the house. Anything wrong with this plan?

You've got the filter in the wrong place :-) The filter blocks the
broadband signal.

Yup - although the ones supplied have telephone line in/out and output to
router. Of course I'd prefer a 'hard wired' one for this purpose.

They are available.
Unfortunately, I've forgotten from where.
Ask on uk.telecom.broadband

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Richard Savage wrote:
The above is exactly what my combined filter and (BT) master box does.
It's a direct replacement for the BT master box, i.e. one with a
removable front that disconnects the BT line from the house. It has two
sockets - one for your ADSL modem and one for your phones. You can also
hardwire your phone wiring into the back of the cover. Bought it from
Solwise for a tenner.

This sounds promising. The line comes into the cellar where there is an
old type junction box. It then goes to the front room where the master
socket is - then on elsewhere.
Can I get a box which is line in, filter, RJ11 out for router and master
socket for the phone circuit? I can then feed the existing wiring,
replacing the master socket in the front room with a secondary one.

--
*Where do forest rangers go to "get away from it all?"

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Ian Stirling

Ian Stirling wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:
In article ,
Owain wrote:
I'd like to put the router in the cellar
| where the line comes in,

Eminently sensible.

| with just the one filter before it, then run Cat5 to both the
| computers up the side of the house. Anything wrong with this plan?

You've got the filter in the wrong place :-) The filter blocks the
broadband signal.

Yup - although the ones supplied have telephone line in/out and output to
router. Of course I'd prefer a 'hard wired' one for this purpose.

They are available.
Unfortunately, I've forgotten from where.
Ask on uk.telecom.broadband

http://www.clarity.it/
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Dave Plowman
wrote:
..
After a couple of vast phone bills I'm going broadband. I'm having
problems getting it set up due to my Acorn browser not talking properly to
the router,

I have had the same interesting situation, solved nicely with the help of
the Vispa support team and me finally seeing the wood rather than the trees!
Something that was a major pain was the router default address in the 10
range. My network is all in 192, so that was fun.

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Rick Dipper
wrote:

Try ........... the PC on your knee ..

What a strange fetish. :-)

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:
After a couple of vast phone bills I'm going broadband. I'm having
problems getting it set up due to my Acorn browser not talking
properly to the router,

I have had the same interesting situation, solved nicely with the help
of the Vispa support team and me finally seeing the wood rather than the
trees! Something that was a major pain was the router default address
in the 10 range. My network is all in 192, so that was fun.

Mine is in the 10 range too, but that's not the problem - a ping test
works fine. It's the Javascript implementation of the router that's
causing me grief - I can't reliably log in to it and set it up.
I have IE 5.5 on my PC card which would be alright, but my PC interface
software doesn't include networking - I've sent off for the upgrade. But
I'm off into 'work' in a few minutes to set up the router on a PC, so I'll
hopefully be in business as a test later today.

--
*Acupuncture is a jab well done.*

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

wrote:

Mine is in the 10 range too, but that's not the problem - a ping test
works fine. It's the Javascript implementation of the router that's
causing me grief - I can't reliably log in to it and set it up.

!Fresco should work and I believe that !Netsurf will also access it. I had
the same problem with !Oregano and !Oregano2, the latter seems to be the
least impressive of the lot!

Feel free to get in touch if I can be of help.

blah

Dave Plowman wrote:
In article ,
Owain wrote:
I'd like to put the router in the cellar
where the line comes in,

Eminently sensible.

with just the one filter before it, then run Cat5 to both the
computers up the side of the house. Anything wrong with this plan?

You've got the filter in the wrong place :-) The filter blocks the
broadband signal.

Yup - although the ones supplied have telephone line in/out and
output to router. Of course I'd prefer a 'hard wired' one for this
purpose.

You need to replace the faceplate on your master socket with a faceplate
splitter filter...

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm has them for 11.99

Then you can plug an RJ 11 patch cable into the faceplate and also into
an RJ45 cat5 socket (RJ45 sockets also accept RJ11 cables).

Then at the other end, another RJ45 socket with an RJ11 patch cable to
plug in your router.

All your extensions are "downstream" of this filter so don't need
further filters.

Biggles

Richard Savage wrote:
The above is exactly what my combined filter and (BT) master box does.
It's a direct replacement for the BT master box, i.e. one with a
removable front that disconnects the BT line from the house. It has two
sockets - one for your ADSL modem and one for your phones. You can also
hardwire your phone wiring into the back of the cover. Bought it from
Solwise for a tenner.

This sounds promising. The line comes into the cellar where there is an
old type junction box. It then goes to the front room where the master
socket is - then on elsewhere.
Can I get a box which is line in, filter, RJ11 out for router and master
socket for the phone circuit? I can then feed the existing wiring,
replacing the master socket in the front room with a secondary one.

Yup, that's exactly it (I've got the same Solwise face plate - it fits a std
BT master socket, or Solwise will sell you one). You can feed the main phone
circuit out of the back of the box, and have RJ11 for router (or ADSL modem)
out the front, together with a spare filtered phone socket.

Of course, you *should* get BT to fit the new master socket in your
cellar.........

--
Alan Shilling
Remove packaging from e-mail address before replying otherwise it will

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:
It's the Javascript implementation of the router that's
causing me grief - I can't reliably log in to it and set it up.

!Fresco should work and I believe that !Netsurf will also access it.

Fresco crashes big time when I attempt it. I've not got Netsurf yet
although it sounds promising.

I took the router to a PC and got it set up there, so I'm now connected.
News and e-mail work without altering anything - took me rather by
surprise. I've been to the Pipex site to try and set up other things, but
am having the same Javascript problems.

Thanks to everyone - now it's working well just plugged in to the same
socket as the old modem, I'm more inclined to engineer the whole lot
properly.

--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance. *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
the q

the q wrote:
I've got phone sockets in every room - two in some -

I do hope you've not overloaded the REN rating of the phone line
(normally max 4 REN)

I've got 6 phones and two modems at the moment, and they all work just
fine. REN 1 is the lowest *quoted* number, but most modern phones are well
below this, and things like modems that don't ring should be near 0.
Besides, the REN 4 limit is a bit conservative if you're not far from the
exchange.

--
*Why is a boxing ring square?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Ah exchange that's that building about five miles away.... says he highly
unlikely ever to get broadband...

The Q

Rick Dipper

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 21:38:19 +0100, Dave Plowman
wrote:

In article ,
Rick Dipper wrote:
Try a router with a wireless connection. no cat 5 to run, you can even
sit in the garden in the sun with a beer, and the PC on your knee ..

I've absolutely no wish to have a PC on my knee.

When you have to work with a PC at the weekend, you can sit in the
office, or in your garden with a beer .........

Don't tell the boss about the beer

Rick

Pete C

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 21:39:20 +0100, Dave Plowman
wrote:

Filters are only a couple of quid, though, so why not get a bunch of
those? In fact, http://www.ebuyer.com/ has them for £0.99 ex. VAT.

And have them hanging out the sockets? No thanks.

Hi,

It might all work without the filters, they're only there to stop the
phone loading the line at ADSL frequencies.

ADSL is pretty robust, it's not affected by line capacitance and often
still works if one wire of the pair is open circuit.

cheers,
Pete.
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Pete C wrote:
It might all work without the filters, they're only there to stop the
phone loading the line at ADSL frequencies.

They're also to stop nasty noises in your ear if you're using the phone
while the ASDL is in use.

--
*Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Martin Angove

In message ,
"the q" wrote:

Ah exchange that's that building about five miles away.... says he highly
unlikely ever to get broadband...

And it may be a lot more than that by cable... I say this because of an
experience in Cardiff where some of the "analogue lines" carrying
programme material from/to our studios went about 2 miles around the
block rather than 1/4 mile in a straightish line to the exchange.

For those of you who know Cardiff, we were based in West Canal Wharf
(doesn't really exist any more - near Jacob's Antiques by Central
station) and the BT exchange is bang next door to what was the National
Stadium, but is now the Millenium Stadium. A brisk 2 minute walk.

We had a fault on a line between studio and exchange once which was
traced to a duct near Cardiff Prison. Hmmm...

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... He's dead, Jim ... Kick him of you don't believe me
Martin Angove

In message ,
Dave Plowman wrote:

In article ,
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:
It's the Javascript implementation of the router that's
causing me grief - I can't reliably log in to it and set it up.

!Fresco should work and I believe that !Netsurf will also access it.

Fresco crashes big time when I attempt it. I've not got Netsurf yet
although it sounds promising.

I took the router to a PC and got it set up there, so I'm now connected.
News and e-mail work without altering anything - took me rather by
surprise. I've been to the Pipex site to try and set up other things, but
am having the same Javascript problems.

Thanks to everyone - now it's working well just plugged in to the same
socket as the old modem, I'm more inclined to engineer the whole lot
properly.

The other option for setting up may be to Telnet it. Most routers have
Telnet command-line access to quite a lot more than the web-based setup.
It just takes a bit of detailed study of the guidebook in order to
understand the commands! If you're physically nearby, some routers also
have a serial port so you can use a terminal emulator.

Having said that (and having lost the instructions for my router) I
chickened out of doing the Telnet thing and set it up in NS6 on a Mac.
I only have ArcWeb and WebsterXL on the Acorn and neither of those
wanted to do much :-)

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... Our necessities are few but our wants are endless...

Ian Stirling

wrote:

Filters are only a couple of quid, though, so why not get a bunch of
those? In fact, http://www.ebuyer.com/ has them for ?0.99 ex. VAT.

And have them hanging out the sockets? No thanks.

Hi,

It might all work without the filters, they're only there to stop the
phone loading the line at ADSL frequencies.

For short/quiet lines, it generally works fine, even with no filters.
Slightly longer, and the ADSL may cut out when a phone is picked up.
Longer than this, and it requires filters to work at all.

(some phones may not load the line in a way that they impair ADSL though)

Ian Stirling

"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" wrote:
In article , Rick Dipper
wrote:

Try ........... the PC on your knee ..

What a strange fetish. :-)

I'd prefer a WPC myself.
geoff

In message , Ian Stirling
writes
"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" wrote:
In article , Rick Dipper
wrote:

Try ........... the PC on your knee ..

What a strange fetish. :-)

I'd prefer a WPC myself.

What, WPC Sadie Stick ?

--
geoff
Pete C

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 21:44:32 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

For short/quiet lines, it generally works fine, even with no filters.
Slightly longer, and the ADSL may cut out when a phone is picked up.
Longer than this, and it requires filters to work at all.

Tried it on mine this afternoon, works OK until you pick the phone up
:^( I suppose the phone can also generate signals in the ADSL
frequencies which interfere with it.

cheers,
Pete.
G&M

wrote:

For short/quiet lines, it generally works fine, even with no filters.
Slightly longer, and the ADSL may cut out when a phone is picked up.
Longer than this, and it requires filters to work at all.

Tried it on mine this afternoon, works OK until you pick the phone up

I suppose the phone can also generate signals in the ADSL
frequencies which interfere with it.

No it can't. The filter is there to isolate the high frequency ADSL signal
from the rectifying effects of the non-linearities in the phone which would
give rise to all sorts of noise. Some phones have non-linearities in the
ringers when on-hook so these won't work at all, whereas others are fine
until you go off-hook. There was a concept in 1998 called ADSL-lite which
depended on this but it died the death that all crap ideas should.

Ian Stirling

geoff wrote:
In message , Ian Stirling
writes
"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" wrote:
In article , Rick Dipper
wrote:

Try ........... the PC on your knee ..

What a strange fetish. :-)

I'd prefer a WPC myself.

What, WPC Sadie Stick ?

Actually, I was more thinking of the redhead that apprehended
me while shopping for a mobile.

I'd earlier walked into a travel agent, turned down my MP3 player, went
up to the currency exchange counter, then left as there was noone there.

Apparently they called the police, as they assumed that the MP3 player in
my pocket was a gun, and I was there to perform an unauthorised withdrawal.

Problem soon resolved after she went through my pockets.
geoff

In message , Ian Stirling
writes
geoff wrote:
In message , Ian Stirling
writes
wrote:

Try ........... the PC on your knee ..

What a strange fetish. :-)

I'd prefer a WPC myself.

What, WPC Sadie Stick ?

Actually, I was more thinking of the redhead that apprehended
me while shopping for a mobile.

I'd earlier walked into a travel agent, turned down my MP3 player, went
up to the currency exchange counter, then left as there was noone there.

Apparently they called the police, as they assumed that the MP3 player in
my pocket was a gun, and I was there to perform an unauthorised withdrawal.

Problem soon resolved after she went through my pockets.

Mmm, nicedid you invite her to come home and rumage through your
drawers?

--
geoff
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Ian Stirling wrote:
Apparently they called the police, as they assumed that the MP3 player in
my pocket was a gun, and I was there to perform an unauthorised withdrawal.

Problem soon resolved after she went through my pockets.

"Is that an MP3 player in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me"
doesn't really scan so well.

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular? *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Ian Stirling

geoff wrote:
In message , Ian Stirling
writes
geoff wrote:
In message , Ian Stirling
writes
wrote:

Try ........... the PC on your knee ..

What a strange fetish. :-)

I'd prefer a WPC myself.

What, WPC Sadie Stick ?

Actually, I was more thinking of the redhead that apprehended
me while shopping for a mobile.

I'd earlier walked into a travel agent, turned down my MP3 player, went
up to the currency exchange counter, then left as there was noone there.

Apparently they called the police, as they assumed that the MP3 player in
my pocket was a gun, and I was there to perform an unauthorised withdrawal.

Problem soon resolved after she went through my pockets.

Mmm, nicedid you invite her to come home and rumage through your
drawers?

Nope.
There was also her larger male collegue present, otherwise I'm sure she'd
have jumped at the chance
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Ian Stirling
wrote:

Problem soon resolved after she went through my pockets.

And you forgot to put on your working jeans with the holes
in the pockets beforehand? :-)