blah

Default Joining the 21st century...

Dave Plowman wrote:
In article ,
Owain wrote:
I'd like to put the router in the cellar
where the line comes in,

Eminently sensible.

with just the one filter before it, then run Cat5 to both the
computers up the side of the house. Anything wrong with this plan?

You've got the filter in the wrong place :-) The filter blocks the
broadband signal.

Yup - although the ones supplied have telephone line in/out and
output to router. Of course I'd prefer a 'hard wired' one for this
purpose.

You need to replace the faceplate on your master socket with a faceplate
splitter filter...

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm has them for 11.99

Then you can plug an RJ 11 patch cable into the faceplate and also into
an RJ45 cat5 socket (RJ45 sockets also accept RJ11 cables).

Then at the other end, another RJ45 socket with an RJ11 patch cable to
plug in your router.

All your extensions are "downstream" of this filter so don't need
further filters.