Ian Stirling

Default Joining the 21st century...

Hywel wrote:
In article ,
says...
After a couple of vast phone bills I'm going broadband. I'm having
problems getting it set up due to my Acorn browser not talking properly to
the router, but that's not my question.
I've got phone sockets in every room - two in some - and I didn't take
particular care when installing the cable. And this computer is on the
very last socket on the chain. Rather than provide filters everywhere, I'd
like to put the router in the cellar where the line comes in, with just
the one filter before it, then run Cat5 to both the computers up the side
of the house. Anything wrong with this plan?

What about buying a wireless access point (to plug in to the router in
the cellar) and using wireless network cards. More expensive that CAT5,
and potentially slower, but easier to install.

In some cases.
If you happen to be unlucky and your walls do not cooperate, then it
can simply be impossible.

For example, foil vapour barriers, chickenwire in the walls, thick stone
are all bad news.

I can lose signal 5m away from the router in my home.
Admittedly, 1m of that is a stone chimney breast.

It can be almost impossible to tell if a wireless system you have
will work in more than one room, without knowledge of the building
construction.

I'm laying new cat5 (the fragments I have won't do 100baset, not
to mention 1G).