Steve Graham

Default Can I have the heating on with radiator removed

I have had to remove a radiator from my central heating system while I
have my kitchen rebuilt. I will not be in a position to reconnect the
radiator for several weeks.

I need to know if I can safely run the heating with the radiator
removed?

I guess it will all depend on the type of system I have and the main
question will be whether I have to connect the two radiator pipes
together to allow the water to flow, or if I can just run the system
safely with the gap in it.

I have a Combination Boiler (a Vaillant TurboMax) and it has
(alongside pipes for gas, mains water in, hot water out) two pipes
labelled:

CHF - I assume this means Central Heating Flow
CHR - Issume this means Central Heating Return

Can anyone give me any advice on what I need to do to run the system?

Thanks

Steve
IMM

"Steve Graham" wrote in message
om...
I have had to remove a radiator from my central heating system while I
have my kitchen rebuilt. I will not be in a position to reconnect the
radiator for several weeks.

I need to know if I can safely run the heating with the radiator
removed?

Yes, as long as the isolation valves are firmly off. Count the turns of the
lockshield valve when you turn it off, and then open it the same number when
you replace the rad. Then go to the boiler and make sure the water pressure
is 1 bar. If not, top it up via the filling loop at the boiler. Do this
when cold and do not go over 1 bar, well not by too much.

I guess it will all depend on the type of system I have and the main
question will be whether I have to connect the two radiator pipes
together to allow the water to flow, or if I can just run the system
safely with the gap in it.

No need to link.

Gordon

I need to know if I can safely run the heating with the radiator
removed?

Yes Steve, it shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure that the valves are
tight. You don't need to connect any pipes for flow.
You dont say if you have a TRV on this rad, but if you do, I would advise
capping it, as they nearly allways leak.
HTH
Gordon..

Christian McArdle

I guess it will all depend on the type of system I have and the main
question will be whether I have to connect the two radiator pipes
together to allow the water to flow, or if I can just run the system
safely with the gap in it.

Should be fine. Almost all UK systems are twin pipe and don't require the
ends to be linked. Ancient systems (unlikely as you are combi) or US systems
may require linking.

It is important that you don't rely on a TRV as an isolation valve, as they
don't normally turn off fully, but go to frost protection mode, where they
can open if it gets cold overnight, emptying your system over the carpet. To
turn them off completely, you normally need a decorator's cap which holds
them fully off. (My TRVs actually have a genuine off setting half a turn
beyond the normal frost setting).

Christian.

Steve Graham

Thanks for the replies! Jeez you guys are quick.

You couldn't tell me why I don't need to link them together could you?
Surely there will be no water flow back to the boiler if there is a gap in
the system? I'm sure there is something I don't understand.

Thanks again

[...]

Jonathan Pearson

Steve Graham wrote:
Thanks for the replies! Jeez you guys are quick.

You couldn't tell me why I don't need to link them together could you?
Surely there will be no water flow back to the boiler if there is a
gap in the system? I'm sure there is something I don't understand.

Thanks again

Because radiators are run in parallel, not series, but you still need one
radiator open at both ends, hence if you have TRV's on the radiators, you
will find that one of them (normally bathroom) won't have one as the flow
needs to circulate back to the boiler, thus although I doubt it will apply
in your case make sure that the radiator your removing isn't the one which
recirculates the flow (if its got a TRV then your fine)

Jon

Dave Plowman

In article ,
IMM wrote:
I need to know if I can safely run the heating with the radiator
removed?

Yes, as long as the isolation valves are firmly off.

The 'professional' doesn't need to check whether it's single or twin
pipe...

--
*Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid altogether *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Nick Brooks

Steve Graham wrote:
Thanks for the replies! Jeez you guys are quick.

You couldn't tell me why I don't need to link them together could you?
Surely there will be no water flow back to the boiler if there is a gap in
the system? I'm sure there is something I don't understand.

Thanks again

snip

It's a flow and return system and looks a bit like this (ascii art(!)
follows)

____________
| |
| |
| |
| |
| Boiler |
| |
| |
| |
|____________| _________ _________
| | | | | |
| | | RAD 1 | | Rad 2 |
| | |_________| |_________|
| | | | | |
| |____Flow_______|______ | _________|______ | _______
| | |
|____________________________|__________________|_ ________
Return

So you can see removing one rad doesn't stop the others from working

Nick Brooks
IMM

I have had to remove a radiator from my central heating system while I
have my kitchen rebuilt. I will not be in a position to reconnect the
radiator for several weeks.

I need to know if I can safely run the heating with the radiator
removed?

Of course you can. All you do is drill a pair of holes in the wall and
feed a pair of extension pipes through to the outside. Simply mount the
radiator on the outside wall to maintain the balance of the system. If
it's not an outside wall, but a party wall, your neighbours will thank
you by putting gifts through your letterbox.

--
IMM (the real one)
IMM

"IMM" wrote in message

I have had to remove a radiator from my central heating system while I
have my kitchen rebuilt. I will not be in a position to reconnect the
radiator for several weeks.

I need to know if I can safely run the heating with the radiator
removed?

Of course you can. All you do is drill a pair of holes in the wall and
feed a pair of extension pipes through to the outside. Simply mount the
radiator on the outside wall to maintain the balance of the system. If
it's not an outside wall, but a party wall, your neighbours will thank
you by putting gifts through your letterbox.

--
IMM (the real one)

Dickhead, you are traceable. Imitate me again and you WILL be traced and
your ISP will act.

Lurch

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 20:19:21 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

"IMM" wrote in message
.. .

I have had to remove a radiator from my central heating system while I
have my kitchen rebuilt. I will not be in a position to reconnect the
radiator for several weeks.

I need to know if I can safely run the heating with the radiator
removed?

Of course you can. All you do is drill a pair of holes in the wall and
feed a pair of extension pipes through to the outside. Simply mount the
radiator on the outside wall to maintain the balance of the system. If
it's not an outside wall, but a party wall, your neighbours will thank
you by putting gifts through your letterbox.

--
IMM (the real one)

Dickhead, you are traceable. Imitate me again and you WILL be traced and
your ISP will act.

I'm not sure which post was the funniest, IMM (the real one) or IMM.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

In message , IMM
writes

"IMM" wrote in message
.. .

I have had to remove a radiator from my central heating system while I
have my kitchen rebuilt. I will not be in a position to reconnect the
radiator for several weeks.

I need to know if I can safely run the heating with the radiator
removed?

Of course you can. All you do is drill a pair of holes in the wall and
feed a pair of extension pipes through to the outside. Simply mount the
radiator on the outside wall to maintain the balance of the system. If
it's not an outside wall, but a party wall, your neighbours will thank
you by putting gifts through your letterbox.

--
IMM (the real one)

Dickhead, you are traceable. Imitate me again and you WILL be traced and
your ISP will act.

Ooh, Handbags at dawn ...

--
IMM
IMM

wrote in message ...
In message , IMM
writes

"IMM" wrote in message
.. .

I have had to remove a radiator from my central heating system while I
have my kitchen rebuilt. I will not be in a position to reconnect the
radiator for several weeks.

I need to know if I can safely run the heating with the radiator
removed?

Of course you can. All you do is drill a pair of holes in the wall and
feed a pair of extension pipes through to the outside. Simply mount the
radiator on the outside wall to maintain the balance of the system. If
it's not an outside wall, but a party wall, your neighbours will thank
you by putting gifts through your letterbox.

--
IMM (the real one)

Dickhead, you are traceable. Imitate me again and you WILL be traced and
your ISP will act.

Ooh, Handbags at dawn ...

They ARE being informed.

geoff

In message , IMM
writes

I need to know if I can safely run the heating with the radiator
removed?

Of course you can. All you do is drill a pair of holes in the wall and
feed a pair of extension pipes through to the outside. Simply mount the
radiator on the outside wall to maintain the balance of the system. If
it's not an outside wall, but a party wall, your neighbours will thank
you by putting gifts through your letterbox.

--
IMM (the real one)

Dickhead, you are traceable. Imitate me again and you WILL be traced and
your ISP will act.

Ooh, Handbags at dawn ...

They ARE being informed.

Oh yes? And what do you think they are going to do ?

There's another person who posts here as geoff, should I report him for
stealing my name?

I think not you sad little Essex boi

--
geoff

Rod Hewitt

geoff wrote in :

Do you know what's up with ntl mail?

I have 300 + emails not downloading (although I could read them online
I suppose)

The main site's not there either

No - but have you tried changing cache?

See http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html
http://tinyurl.com/7kk7

if you don't know what I mean.

And try uk.net.providers.ntl - potentially very useful when NTL's news
servers are stuffed, but a bit quiet still.

All seems to be working fine for us at the moment.

--
Rod

www.annalaurie.co.uk
Andy Hall

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:27:59 +0100, geoff wrote:

I think not you sad little Essex boi

Do you think he really is? Complete with shell suit?

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Rod Hewitt

Andy Hall wrote in
:

I think not you sad little Essex boi

Do you think he really is? Complete with shell suit?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I actually wondered if he is Italian?

http://web.tiscali.it/jeko76/Capodanno/Imm%20Giulio132.JPG
http://tinyurl.com/2ex4l

'Spose that doesn't stop his heart being in Essex.

--
Rod

www.annalaurie.co.uk
geoff

In message , IMM
writes
report.

And what exactly are you going to be reporting me for ?

Maxie, its says "abuse".

And what abuse is that ?

As someone else explained to you, you have no copyright on the initials
IMM, in fact you nicked it in the first place didn't you

I did not try and pretend to be you as I spoofed from another (hard as
opposed to easy .com) , so I'm not copying your disguised email address

retard
--
geoff
geoff

In message , Rod Hewitt
writes
Andy Hall wrote in
:

I think not you sad little Essex boi

Do you think he really is? Complete with shell suit?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I actually wondered if he is Italian?

http://web.tiscali.it/jeko76/Capodanno/Imm%20Giulio132.JPG
http://tinyurl.com/2ex4l

'Spose that doesn't stop his heart being in Essex.

Can't be ... no handbag
--
geoff
IMM

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , IMM
writes
report.

And what exactly are you going to be reporting me for ?

Maxie, its says "abuse".

And what abuse is that ?

Clear abuse Maxie. Clear.

As someone else explained to you, you
have no copyright on the initials
IMM, in fact you nicked it in the first place didn't you

IMM is totally original, and on this ng is definitely me.

I did not try and pretend to be you

Maxie, you have always wanted to be me. That is clear.

as I spoofed from another (hard as
opposed to easy .com) , so I'm not
copying your disguised email address

retard

And that you are Maxie.

IMM

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Rod Hewitt
writes
Andy Hall wrote in
:

I think not you sad little Essex boi

Do you think he really is? Complete with shell suit?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I actually wondered if he is Italian?

http://web.tiscali.it/jeko76/Capodanno/Imm%20Giulio132.JPG
http://tinyurl.com/2ex4l

'Spose that doesn't stop his heart being in Essex.

Can't be ... no handbag

And those ugly looks Maxie! Can't be me. Can you see that goon tango
dancing?

IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:27:59 +0100, geoff wrote:

I think not you sad little Essex boi

Do you think he really is? Complete with shell suit?

Someone as sophisto as me does not wear a shell suit. Little Middle
Englanders wore them for a while. Have you ever seen a tango dancer in a
shell suit? How absurd!

Andy Hall

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 09:16:49 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:27:59 +0100, geoff wrote:

I think not you sad little Essex boi

Do you think he really is? Complete with shell suit?

Someone as sophisto as me does not wear a shell suit. Little Middle
Englanders wore them for a while. Have you ever seen a tango dancer in a
shell suit? How absurd!

Come to think of it, I suppose it would be difficult to get one on
over your tutu......

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 09:16:49 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:27:59 +0100, geoff wrote:

I think not you sad little Essex boi

Do you think he really is? Complete with shell suit?

Someone as sophisto as me does not wear a shell suit. Little Middle
Englanders wore them for a while. Have you ever seen a tango dancer in a
shell suit? How absurd!

Come to think of it, I suppose it would be difficult to get one on
over your tutu......

Fabulous! Saturday morning humour.

In message , IMM
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , IMM
writes
report.

And what exactly are you going to be reporting me for ?

Maxie, its says "abuse".

And what abuse is that ?

Clear abuse Maxie. Clear.

Sorry to pop your bubble, it's not

As someone else explained to you, you
have no copyright on the initials
IMM, in fact you nicked it in the first place didn't you

IMM is totally original, and on this ng is definitely me.

It's not and, so what ?

I did not try and pretend to be you

Maxie, you have always wanted to be me. That is clear.

You really are delusional aren't you

as I spoofed from another (hard as
opposed to easy .com) , so I'm not
copying your disguised email address

retard

And that you are Maxie.

I'm waiting to see if they pull my account with baited breath
--
IMM

In message , IMM
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Rod Hewitt
writes
Andy Hall wrote in
:

I think not you sad little Essex boi

Do you think he really is? Complete with shell suit?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I actually wondered if he is Italian?

http://web.tiscali.it/jeko76/Capodanno/Imm%20Giulio132.JPG
http://tinyurl.com/2ex4l

'Spose that doesn't stop his heart being in Essex.

Can't be ... no handbag

And those ugly looks Maxie! Can't be me. Can you see that goon tango
dancing?

So you admit it's you then ...
---

IMM

In message , IMM
writes
writes:
In message , IMM
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , IMM
writes

[29 lines snipped]

as I spoofed from another (hard as
opposed to easy .com) , so I'm not
copying your disguised email address

retard

And that you are Maxie.

I'm waiting to see if they pull my account with baited breath

Beside's, you're not IMM. I am.

No you're not, I shall report you to the east essex morris dancing
society
--
IMM
IMM

wrote in message ...
In message , IMM
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
[...]

Maxie, I might let you off, if you behave yourself. I know Mary Beehives
herself.

IMM

wrote in message ...
In message , IMM
writes
writes:
In message , IMM
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , IMM

writes

[29 lines snipped]

as I spoofed from another (hard as
opposed to easy .com) , so I'm not
copying your disguised email address

retard

And that you are Maxie.

I'm waiting to see if they pull my account with baited breath

Beside's, you're not IMM. I am.

No you're not, I shall report you to the east essex morris dancing
society

Morris dancing! Maxie, no wonder you are envious of my tango dancing. I
believe you are into tap dancing, but fell off the sink.

IMM

wrote in message ...
In message , IMM
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Rod Hewitt
writes
Andy Hall wrote in
:

I think not you sad little Essex boi

Do you think he really is? Complete with shell suit?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I actually wondered if he is Italian?

http://web.tiscali.it/jeko76/Capodanno/Imm%20Giulio132.JPG
http://tinyurl.com/2ex4l

'Spose that doesn't stop his heart being in Essex.

Can't be ... no handbag

And those ugly looks Maxie! Can't be me. Can you see that goon tango
dancing?

So you admit it's you then ...

Maxie, you will have to read properly.

In message , IMM
writes

retard

And that you are Maxie.

I'm waiting to see if they pull my account with baited breath

Beside's, you're not IMM. I am.

No you're not, I shall report you to the east essex morris dancing
society

Morris dancing! Maxie, no wonder you are envious of my tango dancing. I
believe you are into tap dancing, but fell off the sink.

Tango is a soft drink derived from orange flavour substitutes

Taps are what you get on beer barrels

Look I'm still here

--
IMM

In message , IMM
writes

as I spoofed from another (hard as
opposed to easy .com) , so I'm not
copying your disguised email address

retard

And that you are Maxie.

I'm waiting to see if they pull my account with baited breath

Maxie, I might let you off, if you behave yourself. I know Mary Beehives
herself.

Go for it, I'd much rather watch you make a fool of yourself again

Have the courage of your convictions

--
IMM
IMM

wrote in message ...
In message , IMM
writes

retard

And that you are Maxie.

I'm waiting to see if they pull my account with baited breath

Beside's, you're not IMM. I am.

No you're not, I shall report you to the east essex morris dancing
society

Morris dancing! Maxie, no wonder you are envious of my tango dancing. I
believe you are into tap dancing, but fell off the sink.

Tango is a soft drink derived from orange flavour substitutes

Taps are what you get on beer barrels

Look I'm still here

But Naxie, you still can't do the tango.

In message , IMM
writes

Beside's, you're not IMM. I am.

No you're not, I shall report you to the east essex morris dancing
society

Morris dancing! Maxie, no wonder you are envious of my tango dancing. I
believe you are into tap dancing, but fell off the sink.

Tango is a soft drink derived from orange flavour substitutes

Taps are what you get on beer barrels

Look I'm still here

But Naxie, you still can't do the tango.

And why should I want to ?

I have a life

--
IMM

Combi Boiler woes - first heating & no DHW, now DHW and no heating.... RichardS UK diy 8 April 8th 04 09:52 PM
Hot Air Central Heating ron UK diy 6 January 17th 04 02:43 PM
No central heating - HW only threewayvalve and tank therm John UK diy 7 September 29th 03 09:18 AM
Pool water in central heating system Andy Hall UK diy 1 September 2nd 03 05:01 PM
Further to my last post entitled 'Flushing and treating central heating question' David W.E. Roberts UK diy 0 July 29th 03 07:15 PM