ron

Default Hot Air Central Heating

Hi I have Jemplair hot air central heating that is coming up for 15 years
old. I also have a maintenance contract with Scottish Gas. I have had a
letter from them saying that as the heating is reaching the end of it's life
I might consider replacing it. I quite like the hot air heating but my wife
would prefer radiators. Would replacing the hot air system with radaitors
lead to a significant reduction/increase in my gas/electric costs. At the
moment we leave the heating on all day and are paying £23 month direct debit
for gas and £25 month for electric, though I expect that to go up shortly.

What would be the savings in electricity using a pump instead of a fan and
heating water instead of air?
And should I just wait until Scottish Gas decide that it is no longer
economical to service my heating as I am in no hurry to change or replace
it?(no money)

All comments and advice welcome
Thanks Ron

Christian McArdle

And should I just wait until Scottish Gas decide that it is no longer
economical to service my heating as I am in no hurry to change or
replace it?(no money)

If it works, keep it. I suspect that no economic case can be made for
replacement whilst the system still functions, even if (especially if?) SG
decides not to maintain it.

Christian.

IMM

"ron" wrote in message
[...]

Keep it. You like it and no rads on walls to leak water. Johnson & Starley
make replacement units that are state of the art with electrostatic air
filters, variable speed fans, modulating gas burners, sophisticated
electronic controls, etc. The modern units are much quieter. You can
always add a heat recovery fresh air vent unit too. Fresh air all the time
in the house.

http://www.johnsonandstarley.co.uk/

Improved registers and grills are also available to totally revamp the whole
thing. It is usually cheaper to run than boilers systems. J&S have an add
on condensing unit that is inserted into a conventional flue in the loft to
improve efficiency. Some USA units by Lennox and Trane have built in
condensing in forced flues.

---

David Hearn

ron wrote:
Hi I have Jemplair hot air central heating that is coming up for 15
years old. I also have a maintenance contract with Scottish Gas. I
have had a letter from them saying that as the heating is reaching
the end of it's life I might consider replacing it.

snip

Remember Scottish Gas is the Scottish arm of British Gas.... If you did
replace it, don't get SG/BG to do it.

ron

"David Hearn" wrote in message
ron wrote:
Hi I have Jemplair hot air central heating that is coming up for 15
years old. I also have a maintenance contract with Scottish Gas. I
have had a letter from them saying that as the heating is reaching
the end of it's life I might consider replacing it.

snip

Remember Scottish Gas is the Scottish arm of British Gas.... If you did
replace it, don't get SG/BG to do it.

I don't normally write sarcastic comments but I take it you don't live in
Scotland or you would never have said that. Do you think I'm that stupid?

David Hearn

ron wrote:
Hi I have Jemplair hot air central heating that is coming up for 15
years old. I also have a maintenance contract with Scottish Gas. I
have had a letter from them saying that as the heating is reaching
the end of it's life I might consider replacing it.

snip

Remember Scottish Gas is the Scottish arm of British Gas.... If you
did replace it, don't get SG/BG to do it.

I don't normally write sarcastic comments but I take it you don't
live in Scotland or you would never have said that. Do you think I'm
that stupid?

Hmm, not quite sure which way to take that - either Scottish Gas is the only
Corgi up there (unlikely) or you don't part with money easily and therefore
wouldn't have chosen to use SG to replace it anyway.

The reason I thought you might consider using SG to replace it, is that you
already have a maintenance contract with SG, which AFAIK most people here
think is a rip-off and the money is better spent saving for a new system.
£150 pa for 10 years would pay for a new boiler.

Sorry if I offended you!

David

ron

ron wrote:
[...]

I don't even get my gas from them.

Hi I was on holiday in Newbury once and was in a pub. The barman said to me
is that a Scottish accent,you must come from Scotland. Do you know Tom
McDonald. No says I, but you must, he comes from Scotland. How many people
do you think live in Scotland say I. 2 or 3 thousand says he. No wonder I
get touchy sometimes.

In Scotland there is no "BRITISH GAS" it is SCOTTISH GAS. When I bought this
house new in Dec 1991 I had a 2 year free maintenance contract and when I
got a letter from Scottish Gas asking if I wanted to continue with the
contract I asked the site manager, as houses were still being built, if he
thought I should take it out. He said definitely yes. I also found out that
my house was one of the last to have this type of heating, the houses that
were being completed then now had radiators. So far I have needed a new fan
unit, 3 thermocouples and a timer. I calculated it out that it probably
would have cost me what I've already paid them to pay for that and have it
serviced every year. I know that it is a rip of but what else can someone
do, given that advice from the person in charge of building the house?

Ron