The Question Asker

Default Central Heating costs + other questions

Hi,
Am looking at a house that needs renovation, my main worry is central
heating, having not needed to install central heating from scratch I am
unaware of the cost, The property has 3 bedrooms, 2 reception rooms kitchen
and bathroom, what would be a very rough estimate for the cost of installing
CH?, Ok now for the other questions

1) To install the central heating and new ring/radial main, I presume it
will be necessary to take up the old floor, how easy is this to take up and
replace once fitted,

2) The building has old sash windows that I want to renovate, can u get
draught excluders for between the sashes (if that's the correct term),

3) What steps would need to be taken to produce a "wet room" shower/bathroom
up stairs the flooring is wooden floorboards, is this feasible?.

Thanks for any help, this will just give me an idea if its worth getting a
builder in to quote me
Cheers
Oli

Christian McArdle

what would be a very rough estimate for the cost of installing CH?,
Ok now for the other questions

4000 quid. (NOT from BG)

1) To install the central heating and new ring/radial main, I presume it
will be necessary to take up the old floor, how easy is this to take up

and
replace once fitted,

Only some boards will need removal. The vast majority may be left down. Some
will need cutting and they will never be quite as good as they were.

2) The building has old sash windows that I want to renovate, can u get
draught excluders for between the sashes (if that's the correct term),

Yes.

3) What steps would need to be taken to produce a "wet room"

shower/bathroom
up stairs the flooring is wooden floorboards, is this feasible?.

Don't bother. "Wet rooms" in the UK turn out be like fungal growth
laboratories. The floor is always stinking wet and cold. You can't go to the
toilet with shoes on because it gets mud everywhere. You can't go without
shoes, because someone else has gone with shoes on, or you don't like
squelching through an inch of stagnant water in your socks. You can just get
away with wet rooms in sub-tropical areas, such as Greece etc, although even
there you get issues.

Christian.

Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 10:13:56 -0000, Christian McArdle wrote:

Don't bother. "Wet rooms" in the UK turn out be like fungal growth
laboratories. The floor is always stinking wet and cold.

That's what under floor heating is for...

You can't go to the toilet with shoes on because it gets mud
everywhere. You can't go without shoes, because someone else has
gone with shoes on, or you don't like squelching through an inch of
stagnant water in your socks.

Because someone else hasn't properly squeejied(sp?) the floor after
use.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

The Natural Philosopher

Christian McArdle wrote:

[...]

As usual opininionated ********.

I have tow wet rooms running currently, one with underfloor heating, and
one simply with a radiator in it.

The real key is to both insulate the floor (and room) adequately and
have enough heating, and to arrange the slope so that there are no
puddles. We also keep a squeegee mop in one for splashes.

The best wet rooms are in scandinavia, which is colder and damper by
far. They have adequate insulation and heating tho. AND ventilation.

After that its a simple matter of building an indoor basin thqt is
watertight from teh floor up the walls. Again a lot of tosh is talked
about this, and it IS tosh, because teh walls only hget water running
down them, not standing omn them, and actually tiles and grout over
plasterboard are working fine for me.

Floors are a tad more problematic. I'd be very linclined to rip as much
of teh foloor out as possible, if concrete and screed, get the drainage
righ, put in insulation and re-screed over a DPM to get a truly
waterproof basin. If you do this ypou can get some flexible U/F heating
pipe - or even copper pipe, and lay it in the floor as well to heat it.
Nice for toes. You should not run full heat metal pipe in concrete tho -
eother wrapi in small anmount of insulation first, or use plastc. Its
also a tad naughty to run full heat water underfloor, so you should make
sure the waterflow is fairly restricted and be careful if bouil;er
outflow is much more than 50C. Try and get this bit on the CH return -
i.e. on the way *out* of towel rail for example.

Doing a wet room upstairs on wood is in some ways eaier, and in other
ways harder. Its easier e.g. top run a few lengths of copper ppe under
it all to keep the floor warm and help dry it out, but waterproofing is
a lot harder. Walls are not so much a problem, but the floor is. If I
were to do this I would be seriously tepted to

(i) lay CH pipeds underneath over a bed of white polystryene
(ii) constract false floor of marine ply on battens, with proper slopes
towards drains etc.
(iii) get s load of polyester resin and glass cloth from boat builder or
other suplliers, and lay up the floor as you would a boat hull. The
resultant waterbroof layer shold be taken a bit up teh walls. There are
other methods, but this makes a stable surface on which to do the tiling.
(iv) Tile to hearst content. If you are concerned with water based
adhesives, then use car body filler! 5 dobs of that and a tile pressed
in witll be utterly waterproof and immovable. I think there are epoxy
two pack adhesives available as well that are cheaper :-(

Be sure to get a decent grout as well.

Biggest problem is sourcing devcent drains and making watertight
connections to them. Get these befor final design as floor gheights and
access may need to be adjusted.

Christian.

The Natural Philosopher

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 10:13:56 -0000, Christian McArdle wrote:

Don't bother. "Wet rooms" in the UK turn out be like fungal growth
laboratories. The floor is always stinking wet and cold.

That's what under floor heating is for...

You can't go to the toilet with shoes on because it gets mud
everywhere. You can't go without shoes, because someone else has
gone with shoes on, or you don't like squelching through an inch of
stagnant water in your socks.

Because someone else hasn't properly squeejied(sp?) the floor after
use.

Or designed the correct slope into the floor.

Ed Sirett

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 09:06:57 +0000, The Question Asker wrote:

Hi,
Am looking at a house that needs renovation, my main worry is central
heating, having not needed to install central heating from scratch I am
unaware of the cost, The property has 3 bedrooms, 2 reception rooms kitchen
and bathroom, what would be a very rough estimate for the cost of installing
CH?, Ok now for the other questions

There are a lot of factors: boiler quality, condensing or not, combi or
stored HW, vented cylinder or unvented etc.

I would say from 3000 quid upwards. The most expensive conceivable would
be with a qulaity condensing boiler and a mains unvented cylinder which
would be around 5000 + cost of water main upgraded if needed.

But for a conventional vented HW cylinder, reasonable non condensing
boiler, about 4000 or 3500 for combi. Perhaps 500 more for bigger firms
to allow for VAT and margins.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk