Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default FreeSat.

On 12/06/2021 00:16, Steve Walker wrote:
On 11/06/2021 18:14, Richard wrote:
On 11/06/2021 12:40, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
On 09/06/2021 11:59, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
On 08/06/2021 07:43, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
Got a new TV which has a built in satellite tuner. Good news in
that it
will reduce STB clutter. Although I mainly used FreeView - FTA
satellite
just for playing with, as I have a 1 metre dish and rotator.

TV gives me the choice of FreeSat or 'other'. 'Other' allows as
many sats
as I want and controls the dish. But unlike the old STB, a very
limited
EPG.

So tried FreeSat. Which complains about postcode. Googling says
this comes
from Eutelsat 28E, but the progs from Astra 28E

The 'other' list on the new TV gives all the Astras, and
several Eutelsat,
but no Eutelsat 28. Set the dish motor to Astra 28, and that
shows 100/100%

About the one thing I did quite often use satellite for was to
watch
regional opt outs from BBC and ITV Scotland.

The Freesat app works well with my Humax.

with your Humax what?

I've no idea what this freesat app is, but (assuming that it
actually does something unique to freesat) it cannot possibly
work without a device capable of receiving a satellite stream

Humax Freesat HDR-1100S.

I've got one of those (currently unconnected as new house doesn't
have a sat feed)

I've never had (nor seen) an app for it

The app, either ios or android, lets you do a variety of things.
Mixed reviews.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_GB&gl=US

If your box is connected to the internet, the app can be useful if
you have a need for it.

"The Freesat App is a free app for all TV viewers which helps you
find whats (sic) on across 200 channels."

There's an EPG for that.Â* Personally, I don't find swiping through a
list on a phone/tablet screen any easier than using the EPG

I do find using a paper based list much easier, in fact I would go as
far as saying necessary.

If youre a Freesat customer, you can even use the app to set
recordings when youre out and about.

what does being "a Freesat customer" mean?

Hmmm... Not sure, maybe similar to being a customer of pretty much
anything else?
Sky customer, BT customer drug pusher on the corner customer?

Except that you pay directly for all of those, while you pay for Freesat
through advertising.

And...?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/2021 09:07, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
On 11/06/2021 12:40, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
On 09/06/2021 11:59, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
On 08/06/2021 07:43, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

the question with FS is:

do they mean a consumer of the FS product

or

the owner of a FS branded recording device

Is this app function specific to FS branded devices, or will it work
with any FS receiver?

I don't know. I am assuming that the OP is using a device which states
that it is Freesat. Which I would assume meant that it would be Freesat
branded compatible.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
On 12/06/2021 09:07, tim... wrote:

the question with FS is:

do they mean a consumer of the FS product

or

the owner of a FS branded recording device

Is this app function specific to FS branded devices, or will it work with
any FS receiver?

I don't know. I am assuming that the OP is using a device which states
that it is Freesat. Which I would assume meant that it would be Freesat
branded compatible.

I wasn't referring to the OP's post

But to the information in the apps marketing information (on the website)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
Except that you pay directly for all of those, while you pay for Freesat
through advertising.

I must have missed the adverts on the BBC progs on Freesat?

--
*Just give me chocolate and nobody gets hurt

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Presumably there's some sort of fee from the box manufacturer to
'freesat' for use of the name and access to technical standards for
the EPG?

I don't see why there should be.
Certainly when I stuck a PC card in my PC and hooked it up to a dish,
there was no charge for downloading the EPG.

Ah, but you've not got a nice flowery freesat logo, have you?

And the free software certainly understood its format.

The EPG (unlike the now/next) is encrypted, but that was cracked.

Why would they charge for it?

Because it does take /some/ effort to develop the freesat EPG, to
support STV manufacturers, or in the case of freeview, the spec for the
"play" rewind feature, etc.

I think that is the main practical difference. Apart from only tuning in
the progs in its guide. With non FreeSat software, you can just download
everything on that satellite group then delete what you don't want - or
make a favourites list.

I've not played with it enough to find out if you can go backwards in time
on the EPG and view say yesterdays progs on everything. If so it will be
better than FreeView which is selective with this feature.

--
*Reality is a crutch for people who can't handle drugs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
On 12/06/2021 09:07, tim... wrote:

the question with FS is:

do they mean a consumer of the FS product

or

the owner of a FS branded recording device

Is this app function specific to FS branded devices, or will it work with
any FS receiver?

I don't know. I am assuming that the OP is using a device which states
that it is Freesat. Which I would assume meant that it would be Freesat
branded compatible.

I wasn't referring to the OP's post

But to the information in the apps marketing information (on the website)

With this TV, you get the choice of FreeSat or normal (which they call
other)

The FreeSat setup is ideal for those who only want basically UK progs.
Assuming your dish is working, you just hit auto tune and it does
everything for you - similar to FreeView.

If you want other, it wipes the FreeSat settings, and starts again. And is
then just a conventional FTA receiver. Where you can select the satellites
you want, and whether to download everything (and sort it out later) or
ignore encrypted stuff etc.

Ideally, it would have given you the choice of doing both. Having FreeSat
and other as selectable 'EPGs' that you could swap between easily. In the
same way as you select FreeSat or FreeView.

--
*All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/2021 10:02, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
On 12/06/2021 09:07, tim... wrote:

the question with FS is:

do they mean a consumer of the FS product

or

the owner of a FS branded recording device

Is this app function specific to FS branded devices, or will it work
with any FS receiver?

I don't know. I am assuming that the OP is using a device which states
that it is Freesat. Which I would assume meant that it would be
Freesat branded compatible.

I wasn't referring to the OP's post

But to the information in the apps marketing information (on the website)

OK.
https://www.freesat.co.uk/help

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:

On 11/06/2021 12:40, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message

If you‘re a Freesat customer, you can even use the app to set
recordings when you‘re out and about.

what does being "a Freesat customer" mean?

Hmmm... Not sure, maybe similar to being a customer of pretty much
anything else?
Sky customer, BT customer drug pusher on the corner customer?

Except that you pay directly for all of those, while you pay for
Freesat through advertising.

Not only d'ye pay for Sky, but the swines *still* give you ads.

Hell will freeze over before I'll pay for Sky.

*Go the extra mile. It makes your boss look like an incompetent slacker *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
On 12/06/2021 09:07, tim... wrote:

[...]

my FS box was capable of being used in non-FS mode

but doing so completely crippled the recording facility

and as the motivation for having the box was to enable time shifting of
programs on obscure channels, made that mode completely useless

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
On 12/06/2021 10:02, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
On 12/06/2021 09:07, tim... wrote:

the question with FS is:

do they mean a consumer of the FS product

or

the owner of a FS branded recording device

Is this app function specific to FS branded devices, or will it work
with any FS receiver?

I don't know. I am assuming that the OP is using a device which states
that it is Freesat. Which I would assume meant that it would be Freesat
branded compatible.

I wasn't referring to the OP's post

But to the information in the apps marketing information (on the website)

OK.
https://www.freesat.co.uk/help

doesn't immediately seem to resolve the issue of which boxes interact with
the app

I'm also not entirely convinced by a website that answers the question "can
I upgrade my box" with the response

Yes! throw it away and buy a new (different) one

Surely that's a "No, you cannot upgrade *your* box"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/2021 12:28, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
On 12/06/2021 10:02, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
On 12/06/2021 09:07, tim... wrote:

[...]

Having done extensive searches for you, I reckon that you actually need
to have a "Freesat" device. *******s. They are almost as bad as Apple.

Is there anything else you'd like me to research for you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
Ideally, it would have given you the choice of doing both. Having
FreeSat and other as selectable 'EPGs' that you could swap between
easily. In the same way as you select FreeSat or FreeView.

my FS box was capable of being used in non-FS mode

At just the press of a button?

but doing so completely crippled the recording facility

My old Mutant tuner could record. Although the GUI was near impenetrable.

The FreeSat software makes this easier.

and as the motivation for having the box was to enable time shifting of
programs on obscure channels, made that mode completely useless

I'm very unlikely to want to record anything that isn't on FreeView.

--
*A journey of a thousand sites begins with a single click *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2021 12:40, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
On 09/06/2021 11:59, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
On 08/06/2021 07:43, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

Well, if you are not paying a monthly fee for their service, you are a
user of their service, but not a customer - there is no contract, no
fee, no guarantees, no tie-in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
Except that you pay directly for all of those, while you pay for Freesat
through advertising.

I must have missed the adverts on the BBC progs on Freesat?

So you never watch anything except the BBC?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
On 12/06/2021 09:07, tim... wrote:

[...]

Yes. My boxes do that, but they are Linux based boxes, running OpenVIX
and have a "bouquet" feature, allowing multiple EPGs to be used.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
Except that you pay directly for all of those, while you pay for Freesat
through advertising.

I must have missed the adverts on the BBC progs on Freesat?

So you never watch anything except the BBC?

FreeSat is payed for by those who broadcast on it. Same as terrestrial
transmitters. So it is not directly funded by advertising any more than a
terrestrial transmitter is.

--
*Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid altogether *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
In article ,
tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
On 12/06/2021 09:07, tim... wrote:

[...]

Pretty certain my Mutant box allows this. But the GUI so awful I can't be
sure. But I'm happy to get rid of it as this is the first TV I've had with
a built in satellite receiver - less clutter.

--
*A dog's not just for Christmas, it's alright on a Friday night too*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2021 12:40, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
On 09/06/2021 11:59, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
On 08/06/2021 07:43, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

Well, when you purchase a Freeview device, as I did, the cost is
included in the in the price. That makes me a customer. If I am paying a
monthly fee, that makes me a subscriber. If you don't know the
difference, please let me know and I'll try to help you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:
Ideally, it would have given you the choice of doing both. Having
FreeSat and other as selectable 'EPGs' that you could swap between
easily. In the same way as you select FreeSat or FreeView.

my FS box was capable of being used in non-FS mode

At just the press of a button?

no, a trawl through through the menu until you find that option

but doing so completely crippled the recording facility

My old Mutant tuner could record. Although the GUI was near impenetrable.

The FreeSat software makes this easier.

and as the motivation for having the box was to enable time shifting of
programs on obscure channels, made that mode completely useless

I'm very unlikely to want to record anything that isn't on FreeView.

at the time Talking Pictures was only on satellite and not on the Freesat
EPG

I wanted to watch the "highly regarded but very controversial" (my quotes)
The Night Porter, which they were showing in the Midnight slot.

So I reconfigured my sat box so that I could watch it live. But I decided
not to sit up all night and take the chance of a later showing being at a
more reasonable time (I assumed that it was a safe bet that such a fringe
channel would be repeating everything multiple times, I was right about
that!)

AIH by the time it did next come around, they had moved to the Freesat EPG
and I could record it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
On 12/06/2021 12:28, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
On 12/06/2021 10:02, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
On 12/06/2021 09:07, tim... wrote:

[...]

I didn't *need* you to research this, as, as I have already stated, my sat
box is currently incapable of receiving a signal so whether I can set
recordings using a app is moot.

I was just generally interested in understanding the marketing bumf, and if
you did put effort into finding out the answer I must assume that you did it
for you own education (and yes, I do do that myself sometimes, actually
quite frequently)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
I'm very unlikely to want to record anything that isn't on FreeView.

at the time Talking Pictures was only on satellite and not on the
Freesat EPG

I've discovered I can record anything I want to a USB stick. But since I'm
happy with by BT Humax for FreeView recordings, would only apply to
FreeSat stuff.

--
*If you lived in your car, you'd be home by now *

Chanels on freesat? MuddyMike UK diy 64 July 26th 11 06:30 PM
Self-Install FreeSat... ? Steve Walker UK diy 39 July 25th 11 08:14 PM
Freesat Box ? the_constructor[_2_] UK diy 21 December 24th 09 11:11 PM
Freesat and PVR installing? Janet Tweedy UK diy 30 March 5th 09 08:25 AM
Freesat dish - DIY possible ? Jethro UK diy 46 June 12th 08 08:28 PM