Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Freesat and PVR installing?

Not sure if this comes under DIY but hoping it does.

I have a Sky-plus satellite box and cable but recently stopped Sky.

If I have all the required cables for Sky-plus can I just get a Humax
Foxsat HD PVR recorder and plug it in or do I need to pay the extra to
get someone to 'install' it?

I tried looking it up on the tv/sat experts forums and got baffled by
the science and vast lists of special leads/cables/connections.

Maybe someone here can just let me know in easy DIY terms?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Not sure if this comes under DIY but hoping it does.

I have a Sky-plus satellite box and cable but recently stopped Sky.

If I have all the required cables for Sky-plus can I just get a Humax
Foxsat HD PVR recorder and plug it in or do I need to pay the extra to get
someone to 'install' it?

I tried looking it up on the tv/sat experts forums and got baffled by the
science and vast lists of special leads/cables/connections.

Maybe someone here can just let me know in easy DIY terms?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Yes, you just plug it in.

I would point out that installing a satellite dish can be done as a DIY
activity.
A cheap meter helps, but is not essentail. It is not like plastering which
requires skill, or mending your TV where you need both technical knowledge
and test equipment.

You can get many of your questions answered by reading the digittlspy
forums.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Not sure if this comes under DIY but hoping it does.

I have a Sky-plus satellite box and cable but recently stopped Sky.

If I have all the required cables for Sky-plus can I just get a Humax
Foxsat HD PVR recorder and plug it in or do I need to pay the extra to get
someone to 'install' it?

I tried looking it up on the tv/sat experts forums and got baffled by the
science and vast lists of special leads/cables/connections.

Maybe someone here can just let me know in easy DIY terms?

Yes, your Sky digital dish is exactly right for Freesat because it
uses exactly the same satellites and signals, only the Electronic
Programme Guide is different.
The official Freesat website should make this clear, but it doesn't
quite do that because of its reluctance to utter the "S" word

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 01:15:05 +0000, Janet Tweedy wrote:

If I have all the required cables for Sky-plus can I just get a Humax
Foxsat HD PVR recorder and plug it in or do I need to pay the extra to
get someone to 'install' it?

Only if you want to pay someone money to plug the cables from the dish
into the Humax box...

You do know that your Sky box will function as a "Freesat from Sky" box
and get you all the "Freesat" channels. You are switching to the Humax to
get free HD and PVR fuctionality I take it. Is Sky+ still £10/month extra?

Five and it's offerings are not on "Freesat" and are FTV on "Freesat from
Sky" and I don't think all of Channel 4's are FTA (yet).

FTV - Free To View, free for anyone with a Sky box and card but you don't
need a no subscription to Sky.

FTA - Free To Air, free for anyone to view. No card required.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Not sure if this comes under DIY but hoping it does.

I have a Sky-plus satellite box and cable but recently stopped Sky.

If I have all the required cables for Sky-plus can I just get a Humax
Foxsat HD PVR recorder and plug it in or do I need to pay the extra to get
someone to 'install' it?

I tried looking it up on the tv/sat experts forums and got baffled by the
science and vast lists of special leads/cables/connections.

Maybe someone here can just let me know in easy DIY terms?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

FYI The best deal yet on the FOXSAT HDR is at www.play.com. £249.99
delivered. Came on stream in the last few days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 07:57:53 +0000 (GMT) someone who may be "Dave
Liquorice" wrote this:-

Five and it's offerings are not on "Freesat"

Oh yes they a-) Well, Channel 5 is certainly on Freesat now and I
have a suspicion that the rest of its siblings are too (not bothered
to check, that would involve walking upstairs and looking in the
Radio Times).

I don't think all of Channel 4's are FTA (yet).

I think they are, but again confirming that would involve going
upstairs.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Michael Chare
writes

Yes, you just plug it in.

I would point out that installing a satellite dish can be done as a DIY
activity.
A cheap meter helps, but is not essentail. It is not like plastering
which requires skill, or mending your TV where you need both technical
knowledge and test equipment.

You can get many of your questions answered by reading the digittlspy
forums.

Got the satellite dish thanks and also a cable connection if i needed
it.
Digital spy forums brought up more questions than answers as the experts
bless them, quoted technical terms and reference numbers for weird and
wonderful leads and connections. I had absolutely no idea what they were
on about
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Graham.
writes

Yes, your Sky digital dish is exactly right for Freesat because it
uses exactly the same satellites and signals, only the Electronic
Programme Guide is different.
The official Freesat website should make this clear, but it doesn't
quite do that because of its reluctance to utter the "S" word

It was the insistence on other forums that you needed different leads
than normal or at least you appeared to require more than one lead which
didn't come with the actual machine did read the Freesat site and the
Digitalspy sites and even Moneysavingexpert. Although we had Sky plus I
don't appear to have two cables coming out of the wall and into the box.
I just miss the ability to record and see stuff when I want to and to
series link programs after having Sky plus for several years.
Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article et, Dave
Liquorice writes

You do know that your Sky box will function as a "Freesat from Sky" box
and get you all the "Freesat" channels. You are switching to the Humax to
get free HD and PVR fuctionality I take it. Is Sky+ still £10/month extra?

Not HD but the PVR certainly and Series link. The recording facility now
doesn't work on my Sky box though we do of course still get the free
channels and the Guide. We gave away our video recorder when we got Sky
plus.

Five and it's offerings are not on "Freesat" and are FTV on "Freesat from
Sky" and I don't think all of Channel 4's are FTA (yet).

Well presumably if I ever really wanted to see Five I can watch it
online or watch Channel four on the TV upstairs as we still have the old
ordinary sky box linked up there and still also get the main channels
via the satellite cable on it.

I'll certainly print out the list of FTV and FTA channels and also the
Freesat channels to compare now you've mentioned there might be a
significant difference Dave. Thank you.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , David Hansen
writes
Liquorice" wrote this:-

Five and it's offerings are not on "Freesat"

Oh yes they a-) Well, Channel 5 is certainly on Freesat now and I
have a suspicion that the rest of its siblings are too (not bothered
to check, that would involve walking upstairs and looking in the
Radio Times).

I don't think all of Channel 4's are FTA (yet).

I think they are, but again confirming that would involve going
upstairs.

Just checking on the Sky boxes and we seems to get both of those, plus
the ITV series etc. Mostly we don't get stuff like Alibi or film
channels which is fair enough. I do miss the Discovery and History
channels sometimes, or whatever they have now been rebranded/retitled.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Vortex2
writes

FYI The best deal yet on the FOXSAT HDR is at www.play.com. £249.99
delivered. Came on stream in the last few days.

Thanks that's a lot cheaper than John Lewis or some of the other
sites.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 10:27:34 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

Although we had Sky plus I
don't appear to have two cables coming out of the wall and into the box.

You've either lost a cable (into the wall?) or you didn't have Sky
Plus.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 01:15:05 +0000, Janet Tweedy wrote:

Not sure if this comes under DIY but hoping it does.

I have a Sky-plus satellite box and cable but recently stopped Sky.

If I have all the required cables for Sky-plus can I just get a Humax
Foxsat HD PVR recorder and plug it in or do I need to pay the extra to
get someone to 'install' it?

I tried looking it up on the tv/sat experts forums and got baffled by
the science and vast lists of special leads/cables/connections.

Maybe someone here can just let me know in easy DIY terms?

Janet

When I installed mine I decided that a meter was too expensive. When I got
some sort of signal I realised that there were Strength and Quality bars on
the screen, so I used a long mirror leaning against a chair and could see
that from outside so could adjust the set-up.

--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Vortex2
writes

FYI The best deal yet on the FOXSAT HDR is at www.play.com. £249.99
delivered. Came on stream in the last few days.

Thanks that's a lot cheaper than John Lewis or some of the other sites.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Worth checking to see if JL will do a "price match" and add their Warranty
as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Although we had Sky plus I
don't appear to have two cables coming out of the wall and into the box.

You've either lost a cable (into the wall?) or you didn't have Sky
Plus.

Or it was installed with the so called "shotgun" co-ax cable that is
actually two co-ax cables joined side by side in a figure of 8 style
pattern. Often used by sky installers.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mike
writes
wrote:

Although we had Sky plus I
don't appear to have two cables coming out of the wall and into the box.

You've either lost a cable (into the wall?) or you didn't have Sky
Plus.

Definitely had Sky plus but of the two cables coming through the wall
one seems to be a cable that they insisted we plug into the Telephone
socket. Have only two leads into television one thick one with aerial
type connection and one very thick blue one with scart lead connection.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John Rumm
writes

Or it was installed with the so called "shotgun" co-ax cable that is
actually two co-ax cables joined side by side in a figure of 8 style
pattern. Often used by sky installers.

Will that make a difference?
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Although we had Sky plus I
don't appear to have two cables coming out of the wall and into the box.

You've either lost a cable (into the wall?) or you didn't have Sky
Plus.

Definitely had Sky plus but of the two cables coming through the wall one
seems to be a cable that they insisted we plug into the Telephone socket.

Does the satellite cable have two plugs on the end of it? If not, I don't
see how you could have used the Sky+ box properly. If it does then you have
a double cored lead.

AIUI, unlike terrestial TV, you have to have a separate aerial lead for each
tuner. If you really only have the one single cored lead then you won't
have been able to watch one program whilst recording another. The Humax box
has two inputs for the two sattelite feeds and I dare say that the Sky+ box
is the same.

Have only two leads into television one thick one with aerial type
connection and one very thick blue one with scart lead connection.

It's not what's going into the TV that's important at this stage, it's
what's going into the back of your Sky+ box.

Have a look at the back of it. Does it have two satellite input
connections? Do they have plugs connected to both of them?

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Downie
writes

AIUI, unlike terrestial TV, you have to have a separate aerial lead for
each tuner. If you really only have the one single cored lead then you
won't have been able to watch one program whilst recording another.

We could definitely record two programmes at the same time . Necessary
of course due to the timetables set up by the TV companies!

Cough splutter, having delved under the assortment of cables, leads and
aerial connections i indeed have surfaced with TWO leads to the Sky box
from the wall, one lead from Sky to DVD recorder/player and one lead
from Sky to TV, one lead from roof aerial to TV (in case we lost the
satellite reception) and one lead with no end on it.
Oh, and 2 dog biscuits, three Christmas cards, a pound coin and two
wrappers from a box of quality street.

So I seem to have the requisite number of leads ...................

Have a look at the back of it. Does it have two satellite input
connections? Do they have plugs connected to both of them?

It's not what's going into the TV that's important at this stage, it's
what's going into the back of your Sky+ box.

Oh well that's okay then. Thanks a lot, I feel more confident that i
don't need to pay an engineer to bring out the special cables always
assuming that the ones that go into the Sky box will also fit the Humax?

Now all I have to do is to check whether Dave was correct in thinking
that Freesat will exclude some channels.
And I've got a lovely clean carpet under the TV now ............

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Janet Tweedy wrote:

Oh well that's okay then. Thanks a lot, I feel more confident that i
don't need to pay an engineer to bring out the special cables always
assuming that the ones that go into the Sky box will also fit the
Humax?

They're standard connections (well at least the Sky box ones and the Humax
are the same). A friend of mine did this swap (or rather, I did it for him)
just two weeks ago.

Now all I have to do is to check whether Dave was correct in thinking
that Freesat will exclude some channels.

I'm sure the full line-up is on the net somewhere. Compared to Terrestial
Freeview, you'll be missing UKHistory & Dave (the channel). You will though
get the free HD channels and probably a few others.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oh well that's okay then. Thanks a lot, I feel more confident that i don't
need to pay an engineer to bring out the special cables always assuming
that the ones that go into the Sky box will also fit the Humax?

Now all I have to do is to check whether Dave was correct in thinking that
Freesat will exclude some channels.
And I've got a lovely clean carpet under the TV now ............

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

The channels you can get are listed he

http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/index.php/freesat-channels

More will come in due course.

I was a sky digital (then HD) customer from the beginning and purchased a
Humax HDR in December. After 3 months I can now say that the Humax HDR has
some deficiencies but in many other ways is superior to the Sky offering. I
have no regrets about the purchase.....except that you can now get them for
50 quid less!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , John Rumm
writes

Or it was installed with the so called "shotgun" co-ax cable that is
actually two co-ax cables joined side by side in a figure of 8 style
pattern. Often used by sky installers.

Will that make a difference?

Only in the sense that it might look like you have one cable from the
dish, when in fact it is actually two...

Sky plus is a sky box with two tuners in it. That means you can record
one thing and watch another etc. However to work properly it means you
also need two connections from the dish, and hence two runs of coax from
the dish to the sky box.

In addition to those there would also be a power lead, a connection to
your phone, and a connection to the TV via a scart. You may also have a
conventional TV aerial "looped through" the sky box.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Janet Tweedy wrote:

Cough splutter, having delved under the assortment of cables, leads and
aerial connections i indeed have surfaced with TWO leads to the Sky box
from the wall, one lead from Sky to DVD recorder/player and one lead
from Sky to TV, one lead from roof aerial to TV (in case we lost the
satellite reception) and one lead with no end on it.
Oh, and 2 dog biscuits, three Christmas cards, a pound coin and two
wrappers from a box of quality street.

Oh well money *and* food, what more could you want as reward for your
efforts! ;-)

So I seem to have the requisite number of leads ...................

Jolly good.

It's not what's going into the TV that's important at this stage, it's
what's going into the back of your Sky+ box.

Oh well that's okay then. Thanks a lot, I feel more confident that i
don't need to pay an engineer to bring out the special cables always
assuming that the ones that go into the Sky box will also fit the Humax?

Almost certainly - the leads probably have "F connectors" on them. These
are small silver plugs - usually with a section at the end that screws
onto the socket. It normally has a hex nut profile on it to make getting
a grip on the rotating bit easier. Moving them to the new box is simply
a case of unscrewing from and inserting and tightening gently on the new
one. When removed from the socket you will see a short length of the
centre core of the cable poking out then end of the connector.

Now all I have to do is to check whether Dave was correct in thinking
that Freesat will exclude some channels.

Well here is the list of channels:

http://www.freesat.co.uk/index.php?page=whatson.Main

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
et...
Janet Tweedy wrote:

[...]

It says "ITV HD is not currently available to STV and UTV viewers"
Are the Scots and Irish so honest that they won't even tell lies to
their domestic appliances?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
et...
Janet Tweedy wrote:

[...]

Perhaps the HD content in on a transponder that does not illuminate the
outer edges of the country?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009, Vortex2 wrote:

Humax HDR in December. After 3 months I can now say that the Humax HDR has
some deficiencies but in many other ways is superior to the Sky offering. I
have no regrets about the purchase.....except that you can now get them for
50 quid less!

Wow, 50 quid! Is that more than 7 minutes worth of Sky+ HD?

;-)

Kostas
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 10:48:15 +0000, Janet Tweedy wrote:

Oh yes they a-) Well, Channel 5 is certainly on Freesat now and I
have a suspicion that the rest of its siblings are too

Looking at the channel listing Five does appear to be there now but I
didn't spot fiveUS fiver etc (unless they have renamed em and I'm looking
for something that doesn't exist any more...)

I don't think all of Channel 4's are FTA (yet).

I think they are,

They appear in the Freesat list so they must have changed in the last few
months as well. B-)

Just checking on the Sky boxes and we seems to get both of those,

With the card pulled out? With the card in you will still get the FTV
channels (Sky 3?) on a Sky box but you won't get FTV channels ona Freesat
box only the FTA ones.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 20:09:37 +0000 someone who may be John Rumm
wrote this:-

It says "ITV HD is not currently available to STV and UTV viewers"
Are the Scots and Irish so honest that they won't even tell lies to
their domestic appliances?

Perhaps the HD content in on a transponder that does not illuminate the
outer edges of the country?

It comes through to this part of this country.

As I understand it a Freesat box does not display the red button
thingy to change to ITV HD if it is told that it is in those areas.
As well as telling a Freesat box that it is in England or Wales ITV
HD can be viewed with a box that does not have the Freesat logo,
provided it is suitable and set up properly. A number of the latter
are available.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 22:36:58 +0000 (GMT) someone who may be "Dave
Liquorice" wrote this:-

Oh yes they a-) Well, Channel 5 is certainly on Freesat now and I
have a suspicion that the rest of its siblings are too

Looking at the channel listing Five does appear to be there now but I
didn't spot fiveUS fiver etc (unless they have renamed em and I'm looking
for something that doesn't exist any more...)

While I was looking through the Radio Times last night I checked and
my suspicion was wrong. The siblings are not on Freesat at the
moment, though I assume they will be when the $ky handcuffs are
released.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vortex2" wrote in message

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Not sure if this comes under DIY but hoping it does.

I have a Sky-plus satellite box and cable but recently stopped Sky.

If I have all the required cables for Sky-plus can I just get a Humax
Foxsat HD PVR recorder and plug it in or do I need to pay the extra to
get someone to 'install' it?

I tried looking it up on the tv/sat experts forums and got baffled by the
science and vast lists of special leads/cables/connections.

Maybe someone here can just let me know in easy DIY terms?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

FYI The best deal yet on the FOXSAT HDR is at www.play.com. £249.99
delivered. Came on stream in the last few days.

£289.99 now. Someone in Play must have realised that was too cheap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember David Hansen
saying something like:

As well as telling a Freesat box that it is in England or Wales ITV
HD can be viewed with a box that does not have the Freesat logo,
provided it is suitable and set up properly. A number of the latter
are available.

Freesat HD is also available to anyone with a suitable sat card in their
PC, regardless of region.

Freesat dish - DIY possible ? Jethro UK diy 46 June 12th 08 08:28 PM
Installing a GFI Mitch@_._ Home Repair 11 February 12th 08 04:34 PM
Installing a hob Bob Martin UK diy 9 August 10th 06 07:41 PM
Installing bar sink in basement, need advice/help on installing drain in concrete Randall2n Home Repair 8 December 29th 03 04:20 PM
Installing Tub Rich Anderson Home Repair 1 July 6th 03 01:07 AM