Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default FreeSat.

Got a new TV which has a built in satellite tuner. Good news in that it
will reduce STB clutter. Although I mainly used FreeView - FTA satellite
just for playing with, as I have a 1 metre dish and rotator.

TV gives me the choice of FreeSat or 'other'. 'Other' allows as many sats
as I want and controls the dish. But unlike the old STB, a very limited
EPG.

So tried FreeSat. Which complains about postcode. Googling says this comes
from Eutelsat 28E, but the progs from Astra 28E

The 'other' list on the new TV gives all the Astras, and several Eutelsat,
but no Eutelsat 28. Set the dish motor to Astra 28, and that shows 100/100%

About the one thing I did quite often use satellite for was to watch
regional opt outs from BBC and ITV Scotland.

--
*Most people have more than the average number of legs*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 15:06:20 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Got a new TV which has a built in satellite tuner. Good news in that it
will reduce STB clutter. Although I mainly used FreeView - FTA satellite
just for playing with, as I have a 1 metre dish and rotator.

snip

Ah, like a RADAR antenna, or did you mean 'positioner'? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Got a new TV which has a built in satellite tuner. Good news in that it
will reduce STB clutter. Although I mainly used FreeView - FTA satellite
just for playing with, as I have a 1 metre dish and rotator.

TV gives me the choice of FreeSat or 'other'. 'Other' allows as many sats
as I want and controls the dish. But unlike the old STB, a very limited
EPG.

So tried FreeSat. Which complains about postcode. Googling says this comes
from Eutelsat 28E, but the progs from Astra 28E

The 'other' list on the new TV gives all the Astras, and several Eutelsat,
but no Eutelsat 28. Set the dish motor to Astra 28, and that shows 100/100%

About the one thing I did quite often use satellite for was to watch
regional opt outs from BBC and ITV Scotland.

Then you need that TV to be working on the 18th of June 8pm :-)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2021 03:06 pm, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Got a new TV which has a built in satellite tuner. Good news in that it
will reduce STB clutter. Although I mainly used FreeView - FTA satellite
just for playing with, as I have a 1 metre dish and rotator.

TV gives me the choice of FreeSat or 'other'. 'Other' allows as many sats
as I want and controls the dish. But unlike the old STB, a very limited
EPG.

So tried FreeSat. Which complains about postcode. Googling says this comes
from Eutelsat 28E, but the progs from Astra 28E

The 'other' list on the new TV gives all the Astras, and several Eutelsat,
but no Eutelsat 28. Set the dish motor to Astra 28, and that shows 100/100%

About the one thing I did quite often use satellite for was to watch
regional opt outs from BBC and ITV Scotland.

Does the satellite tuner in the TV enable recording off-air (maybe onto
a tethered hard drive or data stick)?

I ask because it's hard to envisage TV watching these days without some
facility for time-shifting (if not archiving).

I admit that I don't know much about Freesat, but I assume - perhaps
wrongly - that boxes with hard drives (analogous to Sky+) are available.

Without that, one would be reliant on some sort of internet-based
catch-up service for the channels not available via the terrestrial
catch-up services.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2021 18:02, JNugent wrote:
[...]

you can stuff a DVB-S tuner car in a PC and record off that

--
Of what good are dead warriors? €¦ Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Got a new TV which has a built in satellite tuner. Good news in that it
will reduce STB clutter. Although I mainly used FreeView - FTA satellite
just for playing with, as I have a 1 metre dish and rotator.

TV gives me the choice of FreeSat or 'other'. 'Other' allows as many sats
as I want and controls the dish. But unlike the old STB, a very limited
EPG.

So tried FreeSat. Which complains about postcode. Googling says this comes
from Eutelsat 28E, but the progs from Astra 28E

The 'other' list on the new TV gives all the Astras, and several Eutelsat,
but no Eutelsat 28. Set the dish motor to Astra 28, and that shows 100/100%

About the one thing I did quite often use satellite for was to watch
regional opt outs from BBC and ITV Scotland.

The Freesat app works well with my Humax.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Got a new TV which has a built in satellite tuner. Good news in that it
will reduce STB clutter. Although I mainly used FreeView - FTA satellite
just for playing with, as I have a 1 metre dish and rotator.

TV gives me the choice of FreeSat or 'other'. 'Other' allows as many sats
as I want and controls the dish. But unlike the old STB, a very limited
EPG.

So tried FreeSat. Which complains about postcode. Googling says this comes
from Eutelsat 28E, but the progs from Astra 28E

The 'other' list on the new TV gives all the Astras, and several Eutelsat,
but no Eutelsat 28. Set the dish motor to Astra 28, and that shows 100/100%

The satellites are all clustered together so you can think of them as one.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2021 06:08 pm, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
[...]

I dare say that's true and that it has some uses.

But I remember that there was a time when one could only get the iPlayer
(and similar services) on a computer of whatever sort and an industry
bigwig was reported as saying that it needed to be "on the TV" (ie,
provide an experience more like a video recorder). That's certainly in
line with my own view of recording TV. It needs to be part of the TV set-up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
williamwright wrote:
Got a new TV which has a built in satellite tuner. Good news in that
it will reduce STB clutter. Although I mainly used FreeView - FTA
satellite just for playing with, as I have a 1 metre dish and rotator.

TV gives me the choice of FreeSat or 'other'. 'Other' allows as many
sats as I want and controls the dish. But unlike the old STB, a very
limited EPG.

So tried FreeSat. Which complains about postcode. Googling says this
comes from Eutelsat 28E, but the progs from Astra 28E

The 'other' list on the new TV gives all the Astras, and several
Eutelsat, but no Eutelsat 28. Set the dish motor to Astra 28, and that
shows 100/100%

The satellites are all clustered together so you can think of them as
one.

I'd expect that of the dish. Not sure the tuner does, though.

I looked up the frequencies etc of some UK progs, and did a manual tune
using that data. Said it was adding progs, but still couldn't find them
afterwards.

--
*War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JNugent wrote:
[...]

Dunno. I'm unlikely to want to record from it.

I ask because it's hard to envisage TV watching these days without some
facility for time-shifting (if not archiving).

I already have a couple of Freeview boxes for recording.

I admit that I don't know much about Freesat, but I assume - perhaps
wrongly - that boxes with hard drives (analogous to Sky+) are available.

My old satellite box - a Mutant - had an HD. Never used it though. The GUI
on it horrendous.

Without that, one would be reliant on some sort of internet-based
catch-up service for the channels not available via the terrestrial
catch-up services.

--
*I wished the buck stopped here, as I could use a few*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, Its a bit like a telescope mount but only able to look at the plane of
the ecliptic at the correct elevation. I often wondered if some kind of omni
directional pirate could be set up on a tall building so pointing the dish
at it would pick it up? Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote:

Got a new TV which has a built in satellite tuner. Good news in that it
will reduce STB clutter. Although I mainly used FreeView - FTA satellite
just for playing with, as I have a 1 metre dish and rotator.

snip

Ah, like a RADAR antenna, or did you mean 'positioner'? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 08:29:58 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
wrote:

Well, Its a bit like a telescope mount but only able to look at the plane of
the ecliptic at the correct elevation.

Yeah, I think they are also called polar mounts, slightly different to
an astronomical equatorial mount.

I often wondered if some kind of omni
directional pirate could be set up on a tall building so pointing the dish
at it would pick it up?

If the transmitter was powerful enough I guess but the dishes normally
work on a fairly narrow beam and I'm not sure there would be many
instances where a building would be tall enough and have dishes
already pointing at it. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,

I'd expect that of the dish. Not sure the tuner does, though.

I looked up the frequencies etc of some UK progs, and did a manual tune
using that data. Said it was adding progs, but still couldn't find them
afterwards.

Freesat is the same cluster of satellites as used by sky and with a
fixed dish tuners all Freesat/Sky/Enigma2/A.N.Other boxes have no
problems getting all available Freesat or Sky or Free to Air Sky
channels from that cluster without having to move a dish. Freesat is
group of TV channels with an over the air 7 day EPG much like the Free
to Air channels from Sky where the 7 day EPG can be obtained by tuning
in to their IEPG channel (comaptable software assumed). Other free to
air channels may only have a broadcast now and next EPP but maybe a
longer period EPG can be obtained from the Internet.

It will be the software behind the tuner that determines how good the
experience with a GUI and associated features.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2021 09:35, alan_m wrote:
In article ,

[...]

yeah. anything that will pick up sky will pick up freesat
and there are a lot of 'free' sky channels

From memory just point it at Astra 28.2E...more than one sattelite sits
there. Astra 2E and 2G...

--
€œThere are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isnt true; the
other is to refuse to believe what is true.€

€”Soren Kierkegaard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
In article ,

I'd expect that of the dish. Not sure the tuner does, though.

I looked up the frequencies etc of some UK progs, and did a manual tune
using that data. Said it was adding progs, but still couldn't find them
afterwards.

Freesat is the same cluster of satellites as used by sky and with a
fixed dish tuners all Freesat/Sky/Enigma2/A.N.Other boxes have no
problems getting all available Freesat or Sky or Free to Air Sky
channels from that cluster without having to move a dish. Freesat is
group of TV channels with an over the air 7 day EPG much like the Free
to Air channels from Sky where the 7 day EPG can be obtained by tuning
in to their IEPG channel (comaptable software assumed). Other free to
air channels may only have a broadcast now and next EPP but maybe a
longer period EPG can be obtained from the Internet.

I was able to get everything using the original STB. The dish remains the
same. And of course is much bigger than a Sky dish. I motored it, using
the TV software, to give 100% from Astra 28 in the sets drop down menu.

I also entered my post code in the general setup instructions for the TV,
and that found my actual address.

If I do a FreeSat tune, it complains about not knowing my postcode.

It will be the software behind the tuner that determines how good the
experience with a GUI and associated features.

--
*Virtual reality is its own reward *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
In article ,

[...]

Have you tried a postcode very near you? The even numbered houses on my
road have a different postcode to the odd numbered.

It will be the software behind the tuner that determines how good the
experience with a GUI and associated features.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Got a new TV which has a built in satellite tuner. Good news in that it
will reduce STB clutter. Although I mainly used FreeView - FTA satellite
just for playing with, as I have a 1 metre dish and rotator.

TV gives me the choice of FreeSat or 'other'. 'Other' allows as many sats
as I want and controls the dish. But unlike the old STB, a very limited
EPG.

So tried FreeSat. Which complains about postcode. Googling says this comes
from Eutelsat 28E, but the progs from Astra 28E

The 'other' list on the new TV gives all the Astras, and several Eutelsat,
but no Eutelsat 28. Set the dish motor to Astra 28, and that shows 100/100%

About the one thing I did quite often use satellite for was to watch
regional opt outs from BBC and ITV Scotland.

In which case I suspect you get on better with the 'Other' option.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2021 09:11, T i m wrote:
Yeah, I think they are also called polar mounts, slightly different to
an astronomical equatorial mount.

The geometry is a bit weird. Really big dishes take quite a bit of
setting up.The thing sweeps across the arc by virtue of a fairly simple
pivoting arrangement, but then there has to be 'declination offset' to
compensate for the fact that the dish is not at the centre of the earth.
It's done by setting the tracking arc a bit high then adjusting a offset
to drop the dish down a fixed amount on the swivelling mount. Then you
start to think about polarisation offset!

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Michael Chare wrote:
Got a new TV which has a built in satellite tuner. Good news in that it
will reduce STB clutter. Although I mainly used FreeView - FTA satellite
just for playing with, as I have a 1 metre dish and rotator.

TV gives me the choice of FreeSat or 'other'. 'Other' allows as many sats
as I want and controls the dish. But unlike the old STB, a very limited
EPG.

So tried FreeSat. Which complains about postcode. Googling says this comes
from Eutelsat 28E, but the progs from Astra 28E

The 'other' list on the new TV gives all the Astras, and several Eutelsat,
but no Eutelsat 28. Set the dish motor to Astra 28, and that shows 100/100%

About the one thing I did quite often use satellite for was to watch
regional opt outs from BBC and ITV Scotland.

In which case I suspect you get on better with the 'Other' option.

Yup - there doesn't seem to be much on FreeSat I can't get from FreeView
anyway.

But at the moment can't see any UK progs at all from satellite.

--
*When the going gets tough, use duct tape

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 12:50:38 +0100, williamwright
wrote:

On 07/06/2021 09:11, T i m wrote:
Yeah, I think they are also called polar mounts, slightly different to
an astronomical equatorial mount.

The geometry is a bit weird. Really big dishes take quite a bit of
setting up.The thing sweeps across the arc by virtue of a fairly simple
pivoting arrangement, but then there has to be 'declination offset' to
compensate for the fact that the dish is not at the centre of the earth.
It's done by setting the tracking arc a bit high then adjusting a offset
to drop the dish down a fixed amount on the swivelling mount. Then you
start to think about polarisation offset!

Back in the day I installed about 10 'Maspro' systems for friends and
family and a couple were 'motorised' so I had to deal with all that as
well. I found it all very interesting and it was all quite new at the
time (in domestic circles).

I obtained them 'trade' though the Co I worked for at the time and
installed them for nowt for the fun / experience of it.

My dish was just on an old tripod stand at the bottom of the garden
and it was only an issue if I walked in front of it ... but if / when
that happened, *I* wasn't watching satellite TV. ;-)

(From memory) The dishes were solid steel (not mesh), 90cm, offset LNB
jobbies, with a separate polariser and with an elevation of around 27
Degrees around here meant that the front edges of the dish were nearly
vertical (or close enough to get *some* signal) and the Astras could
be seen between the chimneys. ;-)

Having it at ground level made it much easier for playing with
different LNB's etc.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , Michael Chare
[...]

It's the only way I can watch BBC Scotland, here in Surrey

But at the moment can't see any UK progs at all from satellite.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2021 16:10, charles wrote:
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , Michael Chare
[...]

Haven't you 'integrated' yet then ? :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2021 16:10, charles wrote:
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , Michael Chare
[...]

God why would you want to?

But at the moment can't see any UK progs at all from satellite.

--
Climate Change: Socialism wearing a lab coat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2021 16:10, charles wrote:
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , Michael Chare
Â*Â*Â* wrote:
[...]

Why shouldn't he?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew
wrote:
On 07/06/2021 16:10, charles wrote:
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , Michael Chare
[...]

Intergrated what?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 07/06/2021 16:10, charles wrote:
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , Michael Chare
[...]

because there arecsome programmes which I want to watch.

But at the moment can't see any UK progs at all from satellite.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2075868

Without that, one would be reliant on some sort of internet-based catch-up
service for the channels not available via the terrestrial catch-up
services.

The majority of fringe channels do not have a catch up service

a PVR is essential for time-shifting such channels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

with your Humax what?

I've no idea what this freesat app is, but (assuming that it actually does
something unique to freesat) it cannot possibly work without a device
capable of receiving a satellite stream

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2021 07:40, tim... wrote:

"JNugent" wrote in message
[...]

I see that Freesat box is 4k capable.... which obviously needs a HDMI
connectino to a 4K capabale TV set....

But...... are there any 4K freesat TV channels yet? I know there are
some on Sky but that is on a subscription?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"SH" wrote in message

But...... are there any 4K freesat TV channels yet? I know there are some
on Sky but that is on a subscription?

There are a few demo channels on 12441 MHz V: "Astra UHD Demo" SID 7401 and
"SES UHD Demo" SID 7402. Those are free-to-air and unencrypted. The picture
quality is impressive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2021 07:40, tim... wrote:

The majority of fringe channels do not have a catch up service

a PVR is essential for time-shifting such channels

For those rare occasions when they they broadcast something of
interest. Apart from ITV4 during the summer, I cannot think of
much that isn't already a repeat of something previously shown
on BBC1/2/3/4, ITV,C4
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2021 18:17, Richard wrote:
On 07/06/2021 16:10, charles wrote:
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , Michael Chare
Â*Â*Â* wrote:
[...]

he can watch the BBC Scotland gardening program on BBC1,2 at about
9AM on Sunday, after another BBC Scotland program which seems to be
their version of Countryfile
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2021 10:27, NY wrote:
"SH" wrote in message

But...... are there any 4K freesat TV channels yet? I know there are
some on Sky but that is on a subscription?

There are a few demo channels on 12441 MHz V: "Astra UHD Demo" SID 7401
and "SES UHD Demo" SID 7402. Those are free-to-air and unencrypted. The
picture quality is impressive.

but they are not viewable via the Freesat EPG though?

Obviously accessible if you put the box into non-freesat mode?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2021 07:40 am, tim... wrote:

"JNugent" wrote in message
[...]

That is certainly my impression.

It's hard to see how any time-shifting would be possible on a TV with a
satellite tuner (unless it will record onto a USB-linked drive, as some
TVs now do).

BUT... perhaps it's a bit like the situation when the VCR first came
along. You could watch live TV on the TV set, or through the VCR's
tuner. And you could watch recordings played back on the VCR.

I suppose a satellite tuner on the TV, coupled with a hard-drive
equipped satellite box (of the Sky+ or analogous Freesat type) brongs us
back to a modern version of the TV+VCR.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2021 11:14 am, Andrew wrote:
On 08/06/2021 07:40, tim... wrote:

The majority of fringe channels do not have a catch up service

a PVR is essential for time-shifting such channels

For those rare occasions when they they broadcast something of
interest. Apart from ITV4 during the summer, I cannot think of
much that isn't already a repeat of something previously shown
on BBC1/2/3/4, ITV,C4

Correct.

But that doesn't mean you wouldn't want to record from the channel. We
had Forces TV set to record recent repeats of "Goodnight Sweetheart" and
"Home To Roost".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 07/06/2021 09:11, T i m wrote:
[...]

They were happy fun-filled days.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2021 16:10, charles wrote:

It's the only way I can watch BBC Scotland, here in Surrey

Maybe you need a bigger aerial.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2021 16:34, Andrew wrote:

It's the only way I can watch BBC Scotland, here in Surrey

Haven't you 'integrated' yet then ? :-)

That's the trouble with these bloody immigrants. They cling to their old
ways.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm well out of my depth here.

Set gives you the choice of FreeSat or other. The FreeSat mode has no
choices or settings - just tune. Doesn't even show signal strength. And
finds nothing. Takes about 1/2hr to tune too.

The 'other' is much like the menu on my satellite STB. Allows you to
select the satellites you want, etc.

With only Astra 28 selected, it shows 100% both signal and quality. You
can select the test frequency so I selected 10773H which includes BBC1
London, and that shows 100/100. I can step the dish 5 steps either side
before losing the signal.

Do an autotune, and I get about 1000 channels. All German or French.

I've tried manually adding the transponders given in the FreeSat list, but
it says already present.

DisEQ is off.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Set gives you the choice of FreeSat or other. The FreeSat mode has no
choices or settings - just tune. Doesn't even show signal strength. And
finds nothing.

Sounds like in freesat mode it is filtering out channels that don't
match your postcode, you said it didn't have any postcode entered?
Did it ask for one when first out of box, or after a factory reset?

Takes about 1/2hr to tune too.

My linux box with DVB-S2 tuner takes about that long to scan all
transponders, given a "seed" transponder and learning the rest from the
SI tables it sees.

Chanels on freesat? MuddyMike UK diy 64 July 26th 11 06:30 PM
Self-Install FreeSat... ? Steve Walker UK diy 39 July 25th 11 08:14 PM
Freesat Box ? the_constructor[_2_] UK diy 21 December 24th 09 11:11 PM
Freesat and PVR installing? Janet Tweedy UK diy 30 March 5th 09 08:25 AM
Freesat dish - DIY possible ? Jethro UK diy 46 June 12th 08 08:28 PM