Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Self-Install FreeSat... ?

Hi -

We have one of them big plasma tellies now - 10 years behind the curve, but
still exciting.... )

So next thought is an HD signal feed, preferably without putting a farthing
in Murdoch's pocket. I've been advised that Freesat HD is better than
Freeview HD, and I see that there are plenty of receivers and dishes on the
market.

I need an idiot's introduction or a UK enthusiast forum, if anyone can help
with that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

I need an idiot's introduction or a UK enthusiast forum, if anyone can
help with that?

Steve, take a look at the AV Forums site: http://www.avforums.com/forums/ .
A superb and very friendly resource for all things audio-visual. It's a bit
like here in that there are regulars who are happy to talk beginners through
pretty much anything.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 23, 5:22*pm, "Steve Walker" wrote:
Hi -

We have one of them big plasma tellies now - 10 years behind the curve, but
still exciting.... *)

So next thought is an HD signal feed, preferably without putting a farthing
in Murdoch's pocket. * I've been advised that Freesat HD is better than
Freeview HD, and I see that there are plenty of receivers and dishes on the
market.

I need an idiot's introduction or a UK enthusiast forum, if anyone can help
with that?

You will need a meter to get the dish pointed right. About a tenner in
"Screwfix"
Impossible to set up without. Easy when you have one. .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
So next thought is an HD signal feed, preferably without putting a
farthing in Murdoch's pocket. I've been advised that Freesat HD is
better than Freeview HD, and I see that there are plenty of receivers
and dishes on the market.

I need an idiot's introduction or a UK enthusiast forum, if anyone can
help with that?

You don't actually need Freesat - just a FTA HD satellite receiver. I have
one and get BBC HD, BBC1 HD, ITV HD, CH4 HD and that Japanese English
language channel I can't remember. ;-)

--
*(on a baby-size shirt) "Party -- my crib -- two a.m

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
We have one of them big plasma tellies now - 10 years behind the curve,
but still exciting.... )

Don't worry about it, I'm still watching TV on my old Toshiba CRT and until
such time as it blows up or dies of death, will NOT be buying one of these
new-fangled hi-def flat screen contraptions!

--
Best Wishes
Simon (Dark Angel)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
You don't actually need Freesat - just a FTA HD satellite receiver.

What's the difference?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

.
A superb and very friendly resource for all things audio-visual. It's a
bit
like here in that there are regulars who are happy to talk beginners
through
pretty much anything.

Perfect! Thanks Bert.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2011 17:22, Steve Walker wrote:
Hi -

We have one of them big plasma tellies now - 10 years behind the curve, but
still exciting.... )

So next thought is an HD signal feed, preferably without putting a farthing
in Murdoch's pocket. I've been advised that Freesat HD is better than
Freeview HD, and I see that there are plenty of receivers and dishes on the
market.

I need an idiot's introduction or a UK enthusiast forum, if anyone can help
with that?

Its actually pretty straightforward. Firstly have a look at Charles
Macfarlane's rather snazzy dish point page he

http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/Audi...Calculator.php

That will give you a nice google aerial map at the end of it, with the
exact line to point along drawn on it - you can even choose where to pop
the dish on your building.

Method of alignment he

http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/Audi...liteFixed.html

A cheap signal meter will probably also help with alignment, although
some receivers have an audible alignment tone that you can turn on and
hear through a window etc.

Any free to air HD box will do what you want, although the freesat
branded receivers will make use of the bespoke Freesat EPG which makes
for a better user interface.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2011 18:41, GB wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
You don't actually need Freesat - just a FTA HD satellite receiver.

What's the difference?

Freesat will give you the freesat EPG.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 19:15:16 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

You don't actually need Freesat - just a FTA HD satellite

receiver.

What's the difference?

Freesat will give you the freesat EPG.

Which is probably worth while. Without the Freesat EPG I'm pretty
sure all you have is "Now & Next" for the channel you are watching
and possibly a bit of info about the current programme. You can't
browse what is on over the next seven days over all the channels in
the EPG.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 19:15:16 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Freesat will give you the freesat EPG.

Which is probably worth while. Without the Freesat EPG I'm pretty
sure all you have is "Now & Next" for the channel you are watching

MythTV can "see" the full 7 day EPG, I'm not suggesting everyone rush
out and install it unless they're a Linux aficionado, but it makes me
wonder if any FTA receivers that are not officially blessed as Freesat
are capable of receiving the full EPG too?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , GB
wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
You don't actually need Freesat - just a FTA HD satellite receiver.

What's the difference?

Having an 7 day Electronic Program Guide. Freesat branded boxes will get
it from the broadcast. With other free to air boxes you may only get
now/next or have few hoops to jump through (assuming it possible to load
a 7 day EPG on to you chosen non-freesat box)

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Its actually pretty straightforward. Firstly have a look at Charles
Macfarlane's rather snazzy dish point page he

http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/Audi...Calculator.php

That will give you a nice google aerial map at the end of it, with the
exact line to point along drawn on it - you can even choose where to pop
the dish on your building.

Thanks - I had already found two other utilities
http://www.uksatellitehelp.co.uk/200...calculator-v2/ and
www.dishpointer.com which appear to do the same thing - very helpful, thanks
to everyone concerned in their making!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
So next thought is an HD signal feed, preferably without putting a
farthing in Murdoch's pocket. I've been advised that Freesat HD is
better than Freeview HD, and I see that there are plenty of receivers
and dishes on the market.

I need an idiot's introduction or a UK enthusiast forum, if anyone can
help with that?

You don't actually need Freesat - just a FTA HD satellite receiver. I have
one and get BBC HD, BBC1 HD, ITV HD, CH4 HD and that Japanese English
language channel I can't remember. ;-)

Freesat receivers are much more-plentiful than Free-to-Air. You can get
a cheap, basic one for less than £20. PVR versions cost quite a bit
more.

However, with Freesat, you can only get one regional BBC 1 channel and
one regional ITV 1 channel, plus the London versions. With FTA
Satellite, you get the lot*, plus a load of channels you never get on
Freesat (although you'll probably never watch most of them). That said,
Freesat is probably more than enough for anyone!
*You have to enter a valid postcode. Normally, this will be your own (in
which case you will/should get the correct local channels). If you want
to watch a different region, enter an appropriate postcode (if
necessary, guess at one).
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message ...
On Jul 23, 5:22 pm, "Steve Walker" wrote:
Hi -

We have one of them big plasma tellies now - 10 years behind the curve, but
still exciting.... )

So next thought is an HD signal feed, preferably without putting a farthing
in Murdoch's pocket. I've been advised that Freesat HD is better than
Freeview HD, and I see that there are plenty of receivers and dishes on the
market.

I need an idiot's introduction or a UK enthusiast forum, if anyone can help
with that?

You will need a meter to get the dish pointed right. About a tenner in
"Screwfix"
Impossible to set up without. Easy when you have one. .

Impossible? I set up my dishes with only the aid of the signal meter in the box.
I eat thee Shredded Wheats for breakfast too ;-)

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 19:15:16 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

You don't actually need Freesat - just a FTA HD satellite receiver.

What's the difference?

Freesat will give you the freesat EPG.

Which is probably worth while. Without the Freesat EPG I'm pretty
sure all you have is "Now & Next" for the channel you are watching
and possibly a bit of info about the current programme. You can't
browse what is on over the next seven days over all the channels in
the EPG.

Yebbut look at the prices -

Good old screwfix have a complete package for £70 delivered (item 98603) -
basic and cheap, with a Labgear HDSR300 receiver, but reportedly works fine
www.radioandtelly.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1271458427

To purchase a branded Freesat HD, dish and fittings will be near to £200.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 21:30:13 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

However, with Freesat, you can only get one regional BBC 1 channel and
one regional ITV 1 channel, plus the London versions. With FTA
Satellite, you get the lot*,

All the BBC variations (regional, national, BBC1 and BBC2) are in the
freesat EPG (900 something). 101 gets allocated to the one for your
location as per the post code you feed it.

Or should that para have started "However, with Freeview, ..."?

ITV variations are not in the Freesat EPG but can be found via "other
channels" but to be honest how often do most people you want to watch
a different region?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 20:04:56 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Freesat will give you the freesat EPG.

Which is probably worth while. Without the Freesat EPG I'm pretty
sure all you have is "Now & Next" for the channel you are watching

MythTV can "see" the full 7 day EPG,

Interesting, presumably that is the Freesat EPG or can it see the Sky
EPG as well?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
All the BBC variations (regional, national, BBC1 and BBC2) are in the
freesat EPG (900 something). 101 gets allocated to the one for your
location as per the post code you feed it.

Or should that para have started "However, with Freeview, ..."?

ITV variations are not in the Freesat EPG but can be found via "other
channels" but to be honest how often do most people you want to watch
a different region?

I wanted to fairly recently. There was a play on BBC 1 Scotland (only) I
wanted to see. Not a problem with my FTA setup - they are all listed.

--
*I pretend to work. - they pretend to pay me.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham." wrote in message

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

Absolutely. I accept that it's a fairly narrow angle [1] but a few minutes
does the job.

[1] With a cheap'n'nasty dish, pressure on the mesh will miss the beam.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 19:15:16 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

You don't actually need Freesat - just a FTA HD satellite receiver.

What's the difference?

Freesat will give you the freesat EPG.

Which is probably worth while. Without the Freesat EPG I'm pretty
sure all you have is "Now & Next" for the channel you are watching
and possibly a bit of info about the current programme. You can't
browse what is on over the next seven days over all the channels in
the EPG.

Yebbut look at the prices -

Good old screwfix have a complete package for £70 delivered (item 98603) -
basic and cheap, with a Labgear HDSR300 receiver, but reportedly works
fine www.radioandtelly.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1271458427

To purchase a branded Freesat HD, dish and fittings will be near to £200.

Humax Freesat HDR are quite good, also, a bit of homebrew gives you ftp
access for copying files.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ian Jackson
wrote
However, with Freesat, you can only get one regional BBC 1 channel and
one regional ITV 1 channel, plus the London versions.

But w3ho wants more that one regional variation of the crap they
transmit?

With FTA Satellite, you get the lot*, plus a load of channels you never
get on Freesat (although you'll probably never watch most of them).

Most (all) Freesat boxes will receive another 400+ channels not in the
Freesat line-up.

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 23:53:57 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

ITV variations are not in the Freesat EPG but can be found via

"other
channels" but to be honest how often do most people you want to

watch
a different region?

I wanted to fairly recently. There was a play on BBC 1 Scotland (only) I
wanted to see. Not a problem with my FTA setup - they are all listed.

*All* BBC variations, regional, sub-regional and national across BBC1
and BBC2 are in the Freesat EPG. No messing about at all or
requirement to use an "other channels" feature of a Freesat box.

I have the various BBC/ITV streams and multi screens in "other
chanels" along with Sky News just in case I wanted to watch it. The
streams can be quite useful, I've watched a couple of F1 highlights
via them.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 00:07:45 +0100, brass monkey wrote:

[1] With a cheap'n'nasty dish, pressure on the mesh will miss the beam.

It will affect the signal but not "miss the beam". Zone 1 mini dishes
have quite a large acceptance angle.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 00:07:45 +0100, brass monkey wrote:

[1] With a cheap'n'nasty dish, pressure on the mesh will miss the beam.

It will affect the signal but not "miss the beam". Zone 1 mini dishes
have quite a large acceptance angle.

I can only speak from experience, unless of course, the clamps moved
Quite likely.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

MythTV can "see" the full 7 day EPG,

Interesting, presumably that is the Freesat EPG or can it see the Sky
EPG as well?

I assume it's just the Freesat one (will check later, first I need to
replace the picoATX PSU to watch F1 in HD).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan wrote:

Ian Jackson wrote:

regional ITV 1 channel

But who wants more that one regional variation of the crap they transmit?

Actually, the STV HD region is worth having, as they often show a
totally different film to the English regions, no doubt handy for ex-pat
jocks when they have different footie on too. Shame about their chunky
DOG though

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message m, brass
monkey wrote

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ill.co.uk...
On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 00:07:45 +0100, brass monkey wrote:

[1] With a cheap'n'nasty dish, pressure on the mesh will miss the beam.

It will affect the signal but not "miss the beam". Zone 1 mini dishes
have quite a large acceptance angle.

I can only speak from experience, unless of course, the clamps moved
Quite likely.

Cheap'n'nasty mini dishes for £20 to £30 on Ebay, including quad LNBs,
work well for millions of Sky and Freesat viewers.

99.9% of these dishes are installed by monkeys

With tiny bit of background reading, sites such as Dishpointer, and a
cheap satellite signal strength meter (£6 from Ebay) DIY dish fitting
is not that difficult.

One other thing the OP should be made aware of is cable quality
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/articles/coax-cable-quality.shtml
Example (but not possibly the best of prices)
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CAPF100W.html
And some idea about fitting a F connector
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/fconn.htm

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
Hi -

We have one of them big plasma tellies now - 10 years behind the curve,
but still exciting.... )

So next thought is an HD signal feed, preferably without putting a
farthing in Murdoch's pocket. I've been advised that Freesat HD is
better than Freeview HD, and I see that there are plenty of receivers and
dishes on the market.

I need an idiot's introduction or a UK enthusiast forum, if anyone can
help with that?

uk.tech.digital-tv
alt.satellite.tv.europe

Surprised that your new big plasma TV doesn't have a built in Freesat
decoder.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:

Surprised that your new big plasma TV doesn't have a built in Freesat
decoder.

Only Panasonic AFAIAA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 01:18:31 +0100, brass monkey wrote:

[1] With a cheap'n'nasty dish, pressure on the mesh will miss the

beam.

It will affect the signal but not "miss the beam". Zone 1 mini

dishes
have quite a large acceptance angle.

I can only speak from experience,

So do I. B-) I remember playing "clangers" with the tone from the
satfinder by pressing the edges of the dish to make sure the rest
position was as good as it gets.

... unless of course, the clamps moved
Quite likely.

I think so, I got the correct bird from the initial point it in that
azimuth/elevation from the compass and eye. I get 9 or 10/10 strength
from a Zone 1 minidish 20 odd miles south of Hadrians Wall,
supposedly borderline in requiring a Zone 2 dish.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
I think so, I got the correct bird from the initial point it in that
azimuth/elevation from the compass and eye. I get 9 or 10/10 strength
from a Zone 1 minidish 20 odd miles south of Hadrians Wall,
supposedly borderline in requiring a Zone 2 dish.

I know you're in an isolated position, but many can get a start position
by just looking at neighbourhood dishes. Then fine set with a sat finder.
Mine came in a kit from Lidl. ;-) Although I've subsequently fitted a
bigger dish and rotator, and an HD receiver.

--
*Whatever kind of look you were going for, you missed.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2011 18:36, Simon Taylor wrote:
"Steve Walker" wrote in message
We have one of them big plasma tellies now - 10 years behind the
curve, but still exciting.... )

Don't worry about it, I'm still watching TV on my old Toshiba CRT and
until such time as it blows up or dies of death, will NOT be buying one
of these new-fangled hi-def flat screen contraptions!

We're still on CRT too, for a variety of reasons - one being that the
majority of newer tvs have "soft" screens, easily damaged by kids,
unless you want to pay a lot more.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2011 22:28, Graham. wrote:
Impossible? I set up my dishes with only the aid of the signal meter in the box.
I eat thee Shredded Wheats for breakfast too ;-)

I set one up with just the aid of a "sat beeper" which emitted a tone
with higher frequency meaning stronger signal.

--
Clive Page
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan wrote:

One other thing the OP should be made aware of is cable quality
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/articles/coax-cable-quality.shtml
Example (but not possibly the best of prices)
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CAPF100W.html
And some idea about fitting a F connector
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/fconn.htm

Thanks, that's helpful

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:

Surprised that your new big plasma TV doesn't have a built in Freesat
decoder.

Sadly not -
http://www.richersounds.com/product/...350/lg-42pj350

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Walker
wrote
Alan wrote:

One other thing the OP should be made aware of is cable quality
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/articles/coax-cable-quality.shtml
Example (but not possibly the best of prices)
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CAPF100W.html
And some idea about fitting a F connector
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/fconn.htm

Thanks, that's helpful

See also the video on using a cheap sat signal meter
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/satmeter.htm

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2011 17:22, Steve Walker wrote:
Hi -

We have one of them big plasma tellies now - 10 years behind the curve, but
still exciting.... )

So next thought is an HD signal feed, preferably without putting a farthing
in Murdoch's pocket. I've been advised that Freesat HD is better than
Freeview HD, and I see that there are plenty of receivers and dishes on the
market.

I need an idiot's introduction or a UK enthusiast forum, if anyone can help
with that?

This is the Freesat+ forum: There is also a Freesat forum.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=199

I am just about able to receive Freeview HD from Crystal Palace (with my
new TV), but I do get the occasional loss of signal. The situation will
improve next year when they increase the power of the digital
transmissions.

If you have line of sight to the satellites at 28.2 and you live in the
UK then reception should be possible. DIY dish installation is a
practical proposition.

--
Michael Chare

Chanels on freesat? MuddyMike UK diy 64 July 26th 11 06:30 PM
Freesat Box ? the_constructor[_2_] UK diy 21 December 24th 09 11:11 PM
Freesat and PVR installing? Janet Tweedy UK diy 30 March 5th 09 08:25 AM
Freesat dish - DIY possible ? Jethro UK diy 46 June 12th 08 08:28 PM