Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default FreeSat.

In article ,
williamwright wrote:
On 07/06/2021 16:10, charles wrote:

It's the only way I can watch BBC Scotland, here in Surrey

Maybe you need a bigger aerial.

Bill

It would also need to be a lot higher. I suspect the CAA might object.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 12:20:32 +0100, williamwright
wrote:

snip

Having it at ground level made it much easier for playing with
different LNB's etc.

They were happy fun-filled days.

Well, I think anything new you explore can certainly be interesting
and then it's rewarding to know a bit about what it is or what you are
doing and then being able to do it for both yourself (because you want
the solution) or for others, be it simply to help friends and family
or as you did, for a living.

Most of the places I've worked have been pretty good with the training
so that's nice to get paid to learn how to do something but at the
same time they couldn't teach / show you every scenario so you had to
stay on your toes for much of the rest.

When working for Kodak for example (on Microfilm / fiche machines)
they cave you training on the basic machines and then you went out and
serviced / repaired those. However, a customer with a faulty machine
(near the one you were called out to) that you hadn't actually
trained on didn't know you weren't trained on it so we were allowed to
take a look at the machine but only after we had made the customer
aware of the situation. No customer ever then refused.

In most cases of course we would be able to fix it (most of the faults
were operator error) and so that was a bit more you learned about
another machine.

And that sort of thing / solution was fairly common amongst the tech's
(there was quite a team in London) because they were fairly strict re
the 'particular set of skills' g we had before taking us on.

You may have had to be on your toes more often, given the wide range
of gear you were expected to 'fix'?

For most of my career the gear I was looking at was (mostly [1]) gear
we had sold or even manufactured.

Cheers, T i m

[1] Datacomms gear, so whilst we were primarily working on 'our'
stuff, we also had to interface with other peoples gear, just as you
might if say installing a replacement video recorder and then having
to tune / configure their TV to watch it, or setting up a community
system and connecting / configuring all their kit to suit?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2021 13:34, charles wrote:
In article ,
williamwright wrote:
On 07/06/2021 16:10, charles wrote:

It's the only way I can watch BBC Scotland, here in Surrey

Maybe you need a bigger aerial.

Bill

It would also need to be a lot higher. I suspect the CAA might object.

Sometimes, just out of curiosity, when I've been extremely elevated
(make of that what you will) I've attempted to receive TV signals from a
long way away. The limiting factor is usually CCI.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 08/06/2021 07:40, tim... wrote:

The majority of fringe channels do not have a catch up service

a PVR is essential for time-shifting such channels

For those rare occasions when they they broadcast something of
interest. Apart from ITV4 during the summer, I cannot think of
much that isn't already a repeat of something previously shown
on BBC1/2/3/4, ITV,C4

You're right

the stuff that I watch on channels such as Talking Pictures (and Forces TV
[1]) are all programs that have been previously shown on the main (2)
channels

from 40 YEARS AGO!

silly me for not watching it then!

tim

[1] Forces TV has a catch up service if you are military personnel on a
base, not for public consumption

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â*Â*Â* williamwright wrote:
On 07/06/2021 16:10, charles wrote:

It's the only way I can watch BBC Scotland, here in Surrey

Maybe you need a bigger aerial.

Bill

It would also need to be a lot higher. I suspect the CAA might object.

Sometimes, just out of curiosity, when I've been extremely elevated
(make of that what you will) I've attempted to receive TV signals from a
long way away. The limiting factor is usually CCI.

Bill

and angular separation of teh two TX's the beamwidth of the antennas
used and whether a stacking harness is used?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Dave Plowman wrote:

Set gives you the choice of FreeSat or other. The FreeSat mode has no
choices or settings - just tune. Doesn't even show signal strength. And
finds nothing.

Sounds like in freesat mode it is filtering out channels that don't match
your postcode, you said it didn't have any postcode entered?

Nope

it's filtering them out because they aren't the channels in the FS Marketing
club

No idea why it's not finding the ones it wants though

Is the dish pointing in the right direction, I think Dave said it was
motorised, but presumably that still needs manually setting up first.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â*Â*Â* williamwright wrote:
On 07/06/2021 16:10, charles wrote:

It's the only way I can watch BBC Scotland, here in Surrey

Maybe you need a bigger aerial.

Bill

It would also need to be a lot higher. I suspect the CAA might object.

Sometimes, just out of curiosity, when I've been extremely elevated
(make of that what you will) I've attempted to receive TV signals from a
long way away. The limiting factor is usually CCI.

Bill

Did you ever attempt to use a Yagi to recieve UHF signals from a TV
satellite? :-)

https://uhf-satcom.com/satellite-reception/uhf
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2021 16:07, SH wrote:

Sometimes, just out of curiosity, when I've been extremely elevated
(make of that what you will) I've attempted to receive TV signals from
a long way away. The limiting factor is usually CCI.

Bill

and angular separation of teh two TX's the beamwidth of the antennas
used and whether a stacking harness is used?

Well, yes, but you can't work miracles.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2021 07:43, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
Got a new TV which has a built in satellite tuner. Good news in that it
will reduce STB clutter. Although I mainly used FreeView - FTA satellite
just for playing with, as I have a 1 metre dish and rotator.

TV gives me the choice of FreeSat or 'other'. 'Other' allows as many
sats
as I want and controls the dish. But unlike the old STB, a very limited
EPG.

So tried FreeSat. Which complains about postcode. Googling says this
comes
from Eutelsat 28E, but the progs from Astra 28E

The 'other' list on the new TV gives all the Astras, and several
Eutelsat,
but no Eutelsat 28. Set the dish motor to Astra 28, and that shows
100/100%

About the one thing I did quite often use satellite for was to watch
regional opt outs from BBC and ITV Scotland.

The Freesat app works well with my Humax.

with your Humax what?

I've no idea what this freesat app is, but (assuming that it actually
does something unique to freesat) it cannot possibly work without a
device capable of receiving a satellite stream

Humax Freesat HDR-1100S.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

Set gives you the choice of FreeSat or other. The FreeSat mode has no
choices or settings - just tune. Doesn't even show signal strength. And
finds nothing.

Sounds like in freesat mode it is filtering out channels that don't
match your postcode, you said it didn't have any postcode entered?
Did it ask for one when first out of box, or after a factory reset?

Yes it mentions postcode. It is correct in the TV menu - and even added my
street name and house number.

Could it get the postcode off the internet? I notice things like Google
think I'm in a nearby post code.

Takes about 1/2hr to tune too.

My linux box with DVB-S2 tuner takes about that long to scan all
transponders, given a "seed" transponder and learning the rest from the
SI tables it sees.

--
*Can fat people go skinny-dipping?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Dave Plowman wrote:

Set gives you the choice of FreeSat or other. The FreeSat mode has no
choices or settings - just tune. Doesn't even show signal strength.
And finds nothing.

Sounds like in freesat mode it is filtering out channels that don't
match your postcode, you said it didn't have any postcode entered?

Nope

it's filtering them out because they aren't the channels in the FS
Marketing club

No idea why it's not finding the ones it wants though

Is the dish pointing in the right direction, I think Dave said it was
motorised, but presumably that still needs manually setting up first.

Yes. With only one satellite showing in the menu (Astra 28) the setup menu
for 'other' shows 100%. And motor switched off. Think it would be odd if
selecting FreeSat made it move the dish off Astra 28.

--
*Save a tree, eat a beaver*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2021 13:32, Andy Burns wrote:
My linux box with DVB-S2 tuner takes about that long to scan all
transponders, given a "seed" transponder and learning the rest from the
SI tables it sees.

Never took that long for me when I had a 'dish'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Yes. With only one satellite showing in the menu (Astra 28) the setup menu
for 'other' shows 100%. And motor switched off. Think it would be odd if
selecting FreeSat made it move the dish off Astra 28.

Is there anything sinister about the fact that it is only showing one
satellite, Astra 28? Maybe that entry is shorthand for Astra 2E/2F/2G which
have different transponders and therefore channels. Are Astra 2E/2F/2G
actually the same physical satellite with transponders in the lower, middle
and upper parts of the frequency band respectively? Or are they three
different satellites that are located so they appear to be in the same part
of the sky? Are all three 2E/2F/2G the same power and the same beam pattern?
Are all the transponders the same power?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote:

Is there anything sinister about the fact that it is only showing one
satellite, Astra 28?

No.

Maybe that entry is shorthand for Astra 2E/2F/2G

As Bill said, the satellites are so close at the 28.2E orbital position,
that they look like one larger signal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
NY wrote:

Is there anything sinister about the fact that it is only showing one
satellite, Astra 28?

No.

Maybe that entry is shorthand for Astra 2E/2F/2G

As Bill said, the satellites are so close at the 28.2E orbital position,
that they look like one larger signal.

But is the beam pattern of each of the 2E/2F/2G satellites the same? Are
there some transponders, on one satellite, which are weaker than those from
another satellite, as you move further north or further south?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

My linux box with DVB-S2 tuner takes about that long to scan all
transponders, given a "seed" transponder and learning the rest from
the SI tables it sees.

Never took that long for me when I had a 'dish'

I don't remember DVBscan on linux taking so long, but TVheadend does.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

My linux box with DVB-S2 tuner takes about that long to scan all
transponders, given a "seed" transponder and learning the rest from the
SI tables it sees.

Never took that long for me when I had a 'dish'

I don't remember DVBscan on linux taking so long, but TVheadend does.

Yes it does. I'm not sure whether it's because there is a long just-in-case
timeout before the tuner is allowed to scan the next multiplex (ie probably
a lot of idle time) or whether the tuner is busy scanning right up to the
moment that it is released ready for the next mux.

When I first set up TVHeadend (and I've had to do it three times*) I resign
myself to a long wait, with occasional progress checking, when it is
scanning the satellite decoder. In contrast, scanning the six muxes that I
can receive by terrestrial takes a lot less time *even per multiplex*
(without factoring in that there are a hell of a lot more satellite muxes
than terrestrial ones.

Does the scanning process get the list of multiplexes/transponders by
reading the SI table from an initial "seed" mux? I thought (for both
terrestrial and satellite) it used a hard-coded list of transponders, maybe
with minor tweaks overnight once the initial file-based scan had completed.

Certainly the SI list is used, because even through I've removed a couple of
multiplexes (10758V and 11954H) that no longer exist, they reappear at the
next overnight scan - always with zero services. And I can see that the SI
table does still contain reference to them - by examining a mux with
TSReader, a brilliant tool for the inner-nerd within me ;-)

(*) Once when I set up my original Raspberry Pi, then again when I changed
to a different Pi, and a third time on the new Pi after a kernel upgrade
buggered-up the satellite tuner and I had to reinstall Linux from scratch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
NY wrote:

Is there anything sinister about the fact that it is only showing one
satellite, Astra 28?

No.

Maybe that entry is shorthand for Astra 2E/2F/2G

As Bill said, the satellites are so close at the 28.2E orbital position,
that they look like one larger signal.

If I had an elevation error on the dish, might it be possible to get some
but not all of them?

--
*I know a guy who's addicted to brake fluid. He says he can stop any time.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Jun 2021 22:12:24 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
NY wrote:

Is there anything sinister about the fact that it is only showing one
satellite, Astra 28?

No.

Maybe that entry is shorthand for Astra 2E/2F/2G

As Bill said, the satellites are so close at the 28.2E orbital position,
that they look like one larger signal.

If I had an elevation error on the dish, might it be possible to get some
but not all of them?

Yes. If you are getting any of them at any point on the movement of
the dish then the elevation is right for those ... but the elevation
(/declination) either side of that could be wrong if the polar mount
isn't set up correctly?

http://www.geosats.com/polarmount.html

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2021 20:32, NY wrote:
As Bill said, the satellites are so close at the 28.2E orbital
position, that they look like one larger signal.

But is the beam pattern of each of the 2E/2F/2G satellites the same? Are
there some transponders, on one satellite, which are weaker than those
from another satellite, as you move further north or further south?

No they're all different.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote:

NY wrote:

is the beam pattern of each of the 2E/2F/2G satellites the same?
Are there some transponders, on one satellite, which are weaker than
those from another satellite, as you move further north or further south?

No they're all different.

https://www.satbeams.com/search-50?ordering=newest&searchphrase=all&searchword=28e +ku
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
On 08/06/2021 07:43, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

I've got one of those (currently unconnected as new house doesn't have a sat
feed)

I've never had (nor seen) an app for it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
williamwright wrote:
If I had an elevation error on the dish, might it be possible to get some
but not all of them?

Yes.

Bill

Since it's very easy to get at from the roof terrace, I've dug out the
motor instructions and compass etc and am going to start from the
beginning.

I'm pretty certain the mounting is solid and plumb and hasn't moved.

--
*It was all so different before everything changed.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 09 Jun 2021 13:21:39 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

Since it's very easy to get at from the roof terrace, I've dug out the
motor instructions and compass etc and am going to start from the
beginning.

I'm pretty certain the mounting is solid and plumb and hasn't moved.

So are you saying it has previously worked ok with the same dish / LMB
/ mount (and you don't believe it's moved since)?

If so, whilst it might not hurt to check the settings (if it's easy to
get at as you say) then it might be worth / also considering other
aspects, like (guessing) the polarizer? Could it be possible the TV
uses it differently to the previous setup?

Is this all on a single coax (I've only really had hands on with
systems with separate polarizers (/ shotgun / FO8 cable etc) but the
principles should be the same)?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Wed, 09 Jun 2021 13:21:39 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

Since it's very easy to get at from the roof terrace, I've dug out the
motor instructions and compass etc and am going to start from the
beginning.

I'm pretty certain the mounting is solid and plumb and hasn't moved.

So are you saying it has previously worked ok with the same dish / LMB
/ mount (and you don't believe it's moved since)?

A guarded yes. But I've not really used it lately.

If so, whilst it might not hurt to check the settings (if it's easy to
get at as you say) then it might be worth / also considering other
aspects, like (guessing) the polarizer? Could it be possible the TV
uses it differently to the previous setup?

Is this all on a single coax (I've only really had hands on with
systems with separate polarizers (/ shotgun / FO8 cable etc) but the
principles should be the same)?

The first thing I noticed was the dish wasn't square to the drive in the 0
position. Used a large set square to get it a lot better. Then set the
whole lot pointing south using a compass. After wasting time on true south
over magnetic south. And finding the compass changed if I moved it along
the parapet wall a bit. So may not be ideal. Motor elevation angle was
correct on that scale, as was the dish angle bracket.

Found Astra 28 on the TV and stored it. Did a FreeSat tune which took only
a few seconds and everything appears to be there.

So Bill was 'wright' again. ;-) Perfectly possible to get some of the
Astra 28 group but not all, if the dish is off alignment.

--
*A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 09 Jun 2021 15:11:49 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

If so, whilst it might not hurt to check the settings (if it's easy to
get at as you say) then it might be worth / also considering other
aspects, like (guessing) the polarizer? Could it be possible the TV
uses it differently to the previous setup?

Is this all on a single coax (I've only really had hands on with
systems with separate polarizers (/ shotgun / FO8 cable etc) but the
principles should be the same)?

The first thing I noticed was the dish wasn't square to the drive in the 0
position. Used a large set square to get it a lot better. Then set the
whole lot pointing south using a compass. After wasting time on true south
over magnetic south. And finding the compass changed if I moved it along
the parapet wall a bit. So may not be ideal. Motor elevation angle was
correct on that scale, as was the dish angle bracket.

Gdgd.

Found Astra 28 on the TV and stored it. Did a FreeSat tune which took only
a few seconds and everything appears to be there.

Cool.

So Bill was 'wright' again. ;-) Perfectly possible to get some of the
Astra 28 group but not all, if the dish is off alignment.

I think *all* bets would be off if the dish was out of alignment. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2021 11:59, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
On 08/06/2021 07:43, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

The app, either ios or android, lets you do a variety of things.
Mixed reviews.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_GB&gl=US

If your box is connected to the internet, the app can be useful if you
have a need for it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
On 09/06/2021 11:59, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
On 08/06/2021 07:43, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

"The Freesat App is a free app for all TV viewers which helps you find whats
(sic) on across 200 channels."

There's an EPG for that. Personally, I don't find swiping through a list on
a phone/tablet screen any easier than using the EPG

I do find using a paper based list much easier, in fact I would go as far as
saying necessary.

If youre a Freesat customer, you can even use the app to set recordings
when youre out and about.

what does being "a Freesat customer" mean?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
The app, either ios or android, lets you do a variety of things. Mixed
reviews.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_GB&gl=US

If your box is connected to the internet, the app can be useful if you
have a need for it.

"The Freesat App is a free app for all TV viewers which helps you find
whats (sic) on across 200 channels."

There's an EPG for that. Personally, I don't find swiping through a
list on a phone/tablet screen any easier than using the EPG

Allows you to plan your evening viewing while at the office?

I do find using a paper based list much easier, in fact I would go as far as
saying necessary.

If you‘re a Freesat customer, you can even use the app to set recordings
when you‘re out and about.

what does being "a Freesat customer" mean?

--
*The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:
The app, either ios or android, lets you do a variety of things. Mixed
reviews.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_GB&gl=US

If your box is connected to the internet, the app can be useful if you
have a need for it.

"The Freesat App is a free app for all TV viewers which helps you find
whats (sic) on across 200 channels."

There's an EPG for that. Personally, I don't find swiping through a
list on a phone/tablet screen any easier than using the EPG

Allows you to plan your evening viewing while at the office?

I plan my weekly "viewing" a few days before the week starts when I buy the
listing mag and set up all my "records" for the week

My evening viewing is made up on the fly from whatever is sitting,
unwatched, on my PVR

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2021 12:40, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
On 09/06/2021 11:59, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
On 08/06/2021 07:43, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

There's an EPG for that.Â* Personally, I don't find swiping through a
list on a phone/tablet screen any easier than using the EPG

I do find using a paper based list much easier, in fact I would go as
far as saying necessary.

If youre a Freesat customer, you can even use the app to set
recordings when youre out and about.

what does being "a Freesat customer" mean?

Hmmm... Not sure, maybe similar to being a customer of pretty much
anything else?
Sky customer, BT customer drug pusher on the corner customer?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2021 18:14, Richard wrote:
On 11/06/2021 12:40, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
On 09/06/2021 11:59, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
On 08/06/2021 07:43, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

Except that you pay directly for all of those, while you pay for Freesat
through advertising.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

Richard wrote:

tim... wrote:

what does being "a Freesat customer" mean?

Hmmm... Not sure, maybe similar to being a customer of pretty much
anything else? Sky customer, BT customer drug pusher on the corner
customer?

Except that you pay directly for all of those, while you pay for
Freesat through advertising.

Presumably there's some sort of fee from the box manufacturer to
'freesat' for use of the name and access to technical standards for the EPG?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/2021 00:16, Steve Walker wrote:
Except that you pay directly for all of those, while you pay for Freesat
through advertising.

Well through increased product cost actually.

I always try to by the lesser known brand on the basis I get more
product and less 'celebrity love island special' for my money

--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
....than to have answers that cannot be questioned

Richard Feynman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
On 11/06/2021 12:40, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
On 09/06/2021 11:59, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
On 08/06/2021 07:43, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

the question with FS is:

do they mean a consumer of the FS product

or

the owner of a FS branded recording device

Is this app function specific to FS branded devices, or will it work with
any FS receiver?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/2021 06:52, Andy Burns wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:

Richard wrote:

tim... wrote:

what does being "a Freesat customer" mean?

Hmmm... Not sure, maybe similar to being a customer of pretty much
anything else? Sky customer, BT customer drug pusher on the corner
customer?

Except that you pay directly for all of those, while you pay for
Freesat through advertising.

Presumably there's some sort of fee from the box manufacturer to
'freesat' for use of the name and access to technical standards for the
EPG?

I don't see why there should be.

Certainly when I stuck a PC card in my PC and hooked it up to a dish,
there was no charge for downloading the EPG.

And the free software certainly understood its format.

There is a great deal of thought going into what is is useful to charge
for, what *can* be charged for as well as what *ought* to be charged for.

Take Linux as an example...its an open standard that many many salaried
people are paid to maintain, and yet it is essentially free.

What you pay for, is the router, the set top box, the
supercomputer...the web server - that use it. And for support, if you
need help using it.

Its in everybody's interest to make freesat as accessible as possible,
so that mugs buy the advertised products.

Why would they charge for it?

all women"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Presumably there's some sort of fee from the box manufacturer to
'freesat' for use of the name and access to technical standards for
the EPG?

I don't see why there should be.
Certainly when I stuck a PC card in my PC and hooked it up to a dish,
there was no charge for downloading the EPG.

Ah, but you've not got a nice flowery freesat logo, have you?

And the free software certainly understood its format.

The EPG (unlike the now/next) is encrypted, but that was cracked.

Why would they charge for it?

Because it does take /some/ effort to develop the freesat EPG, to
support STV manufacturers, or in the case of freeview, the spec for the
"play" rewind feature, etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Presumably there's some sort of fee from the box manufacturer to
'freesat' for use of the name and access to technical standards for
the EPG?

I don't see why there should be.
Certainly when I stuck a PC card in my PC and hooked it up to a dish,
there was no charge for downloading the EPG.

Ah, but you've not got a nice flowery freesat logo, have you?

i dont currently have a dish, either :=)

And the free software certainly understood its format.

The EPG (unlike the now/next) is encrypted, but that was cracked.

Oh well.

Why would they charge for it?

Because it does take /some/ effort to develop the freesat EPG, to
support STV manufacturers, or in the case of freeview, the spec for the
"play" rewind feature, etc.

You didn't read what I wrote. Why does that mean they would charge for it?

I am sure the current adverts for whatever it is cost a packet to make,
but they are free to air ..

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

Chanels on freesat? MuddyMike UK diy 64 July 26th 11 05:30 PM
Self-Install FreeSat... ? Steve Walker UK diy 39 July 25th 11 07:14 PM
Freesat Box ? the_constructor[_2_] UK diy 21 December 24th 09 10:11 PM
Freesat and PVR installing? Janet Tweedy UK diy 30 March 5th 09 07:25 AM
Freesat dish - DIY possible ? Jethro UK diy 46 June 12th 08 07:28 PM