Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default FreeSat.

On 12/06/2021 09:16, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Presumably there's some sort of fee from the box manufacturer to
'freesat' for use of the name and access to technical standards for
the EPG?

I don't see why there should be.
Certainly when I stuck a PC card in my PC and hooked it up to a dish,
there was no charge for downloading the EPG.

Ah, but you've not got a nice flowery freesat logo, have you?

i dont currently have a dish, either :=)

And the free software certainly understood its format.

The EPG (unlike the now/next) is encrypted, but that was cracked.

Oh well.

Why would they charge for it?

Because it does take /some/ effort to develop the freesat EPG, to
support STV manufacturers, or in the case of freeview, the spec for the
"play" rewind feature, etc.

You didn't read what I wrote. Why does that mean they would charge for it?

I am sure the current adverts for whatever it is cost a packet to make,
but they are free to air ..

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!