Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default FreeSat.

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 12:20:32 +0100, williamwright
wrote:

snip

Having it at ground level made it much easier for playing with
different LNB's etc.

They were happy fun-filled days.

Well, I think anything new you explore can certainly be interesting
and then it's rewarding to know a bit about what it is or what you are
doing and then being able to do it for both yourself (because you want
the solution) or for others, be it simply to help friends and family
or as you did, for a living.

Most of the places I've worked have been pretty good with the training
so that's nice to get paid to learn how to do something but at the
same time they couldn't teach / show you every scenario so you had to
stay on your toes for much of the rest.

When working for Kodak for example (on Microfilm / fiche machines)
they cave you training on the basic machines and then you went out and
serviced / repaired those. However, a customer with a faulty machine
(near the one you were called out to) that you hadn't actually
trained on didn't know you weren't trained on it so we were allowed to
take a look at the machine but only after we had made the customer
aware of the situation. No customer ever then refused.

In most cases of course we would be able to fix it (most of the faults
were operator error) and so that was a bit more you learned about
another machine.

And that sort of thing / solution was fairly common amongst the tech's
(there was quite a team in London) because they were fairly strict re
the 'particular set of skills' g we had before taking us on.

You may have had to be on your toes more often, given the wide range
of gear you were expected to 'fix'?

For most of my career the gear I was looking at was (mostly [1]) gear
we had sold or even manufactured.

Cheers, T i m

[1] Datacomms gear, so whilst we were primarily working on 'our'
stuff, we also had to interface with other peoples gear, just as you
might if say installing a replacement video recorder and then having
to tune / configure their TV to watch it, or setting up a community
system and connecting / configuring all their kit to suit?