Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim...[_2_] tim...[_2_] is offline

Default FreeSat.

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
tim... wrote:
Ideally, it would have given you the choice of doing both. Having
FreeSat and other as selectable 'EPGs' that you could swap between
easily. In the same way as you select FreeSat or FreeView.

my FS box was capable of being used in non-FS mode

At just the press of a button?

no, a trawl through through the menu until you find that option

but doing so completely crippled the recording facility

My old Mutant tuner could record. Although the GUI was near impenetrable.

The FreeSat software makes this easier.

and as the motivation for having the box was to enable time shifting of
programs on obscure channels, made that mode completely useless

I'm very unlikely to want to record anything that isn't on FreeView.

at the time Talking Pictures was only on satellite and not on the Freesat
EPG

I wanted to watch the "highly regarded but very controversial" (my quotes)
The Night Porter, which they were showing in the Midnight slot.

So I reconfigured my sat box so that I could watch it live. But I decided
not to sit up all night and take the chance of a later showing being at a
more reasonable time (I assumed that it was a safe bet that such a fringe
channel would be repeating everything multiple times, I was right about
that!)

AIH by the time it did next come around, they had moved to the Freesat EPG
and I could record it