Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wiki offline

Just a heads up to say its down and the mo, and may be for few days...

Normal service will be resumed shortly!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 20:53:40 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Just a heads up to say its down and the mo, and may be for few days...

Normal service will be resumed shortly!

What's "Wiki"? Wikepdia is OK. "its down and" should be "it's down
at".
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just a heads up to say its down and the mo, and may be for few days...

Normal service will be resumed shortly!

What's "Wiki"? Wikepdia is OK. "its down and" should be "it's down at".

He means the uk.d-i-y wiki. Normally (but not right now) at:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just a heads up to say its down and the mo, and may be for few days...

Normal service will be resumed shortly!

What's "Wiki"?

Its Hawaiian, it means "quick"

Wikepdia is OK.

and?

"its down and" should be "it's down
at".

Could you do the little squiggly red underlines next time please...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just a heads up to say its down and the mo, and may be for few days...

Normal service will be resumed shortly!

What's "Wiki"? Wikepdia is OK. "its down and" should be "it's down at".

He means the uk.d-i-y wiki. Normally (but not right now) at:

How do you arrive at that from what I see of Dave W's post?:

T24gV2VkLCAxMCBGZWIgMjAyMSAyMDo1Mzo0MCArMDAwMCwgSm 9obiBSdW1tDQo8c2VlLm15LnNp
Z25hdHVyZUBub3doZXJlLm51bGw+IHdyb3RlOg0KDQo+SnVzdC BhIGhlYWRzIHVwIHRvIHNheSBp
dHMgZG93biBhbmQgdGhlIG1vLCBhbmQgbWF5IGJlIGZvciBmZX cgZGF5cy4uLg0KPg0KPk5vcm1h
bCBzZXJ2aWNlIHdpbGwgYmUgcmVzdW1lZCBzaG9ydGx5IQ0KDQ pXaGF0J3MgIldpa2kiPyBXaWtl
cGRpYSBpcyBPSy4gIml0cyBkb3duIGFuZCIgc2hvdWxkIGJlIC JpdCdzIGRvd24NCmF0Ii4NCi0t
IA0KRGF2ZSBXDQo=

Even ROT13 gives me gibberish.

Note I'm using a traditional Newsreader.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2021 12:45, AnthonyL wrote:

How do you arrive at that from what I see of Dave W's post?:

T24gV2VkLCAxMCBGZWIgMjAyMSAyMDo1Mzo0MCArMDAwMCwgSm 9obiBSdW1tDQo8c2VlLm15LnNp

Even ROT13 gives me gibberish.

Note I'm using a traditional Newsreader.

Dave W's posts are MIME encoded.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:

How do you arrive at that from what I see of Dave W's post?:

from his headers ...

T24gV2VkLCAxMCBGZWIgMjAyMSAyMDo1Mzo0MCArMDAwMCwgSm 9obiBSdW1tDQo8c2VlLm15LnNp
Z25hdHVyZUBub3doZXJlLm51bGw+IHdyb3RlOg0KDQo+SnVzdC BhIGhlYWRzIHVwIHRvIHNheSBp
dHMgZG93biBhbmQgdGhlIG1vLCBhbmQgbWF5IGJlIGZvciBmZX cgZGF5cy4uLg0KPg0KPk5vcm1h
bCBzZXJ2aWNlIHdpbGwgYmUgcmVzdW1lZCBzaG9ydGx5IQ0KDQ pXaGF0J3MgIldpa2kiPyBXaWtl
cGRpYSBpcyBPSy4gIml0cyBkb3duIGFuZCIgc2hvdWxkIGJlIC JpdCdzIGRvd24NCmF0Ii4NCi0t
IA0KRGF2ZSBXDQo=

paste it into a base64 decoder, e.g.

https://www.base64decode.org
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:

Note I'm using a traditional Newsreader.

I'm surprised freeagent can't cope with encoded body text ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2021 13:15, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 11/02/2021 12:45, AnthonyL wrote:

How do you arrive at that from what I see of Dave W's post?:

T24gV2VkLCAxMCBGZWIgMjAyMSAyMDo1Mzo0MCArMDAwMCwgSm 9obiBSdW1tDQo8c2VlLm15LnNp

Even ROT13 gives me gibberish.

Note I'm using a traditional Newsreader.

Dave W's posts are MIME encoded.

which is completely non standard for Usenet and should be rejected

--
Of what good are dead warriors? Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 15:30:22 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 11/02/2021 13:15, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

On 11/02/2021 12:45, AnthonyL wrote:

How do you arrive at that from what I see of Dave W's post?:

T24gV2VkLCAxMCBGZWIgMjAyMSAyMDo1Mzo0MCArMDAwMCwgSm 9obiBSdW1tDQo8c2VlLm15LnNp

Even ROT13 gives me gibberish.

Note I'm using a traditional Newsreader.

Dave W's posts are MIME encoded.

which is completely non standard for Usenet and should be rejected

I'm ever so sorry. I am using Forte Agent newsreader. What coding
should I be using to avoid your rejection?
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just a heads up to say its down and the mo, and may be for few days...

Normal service will be resumed shortly!

What's "Wiki"?

Its Hawaiian, it means "quick"

Wikepdia is OK.

and?

"its down and" should be "it's down

at".

Could you do the little squiggly red underlines next time please...

By all means, but I thought Usenet was meant to be plain text only.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 20:08:16 +0000, Dave W
wrote:

T24gVGh1LCAxMSBGZWIgMjAyMSAxNTozMDoyMiArMDAwMCwgV GhlIE5hdHVyYWwgUGhpbG9zb3Bo
ZXINCjx0bnBAaW52YWxpZC5pbnZhbGlkPiB3cm90ZToNCg0KP k9uIDExLzAyLzIwMjEgMTM6MTUs
IEFkcmlhbiBDYXNwZXJzeiB3cm90ZToNCj4+IE9uIDExLzAyL zIwMjEgMTI6NDUsIEFudGhvbnlM
IHdyb3RlOg0KPj4gDQo+Pj4gSG93IGRvIHlvdSBhcnJpdmUgY XQgdGhhdCBmcm9tIHdoYXQgSSBz
ZWUgb2YgRGF2ZSBXJ3MgcG9zdD86DQo+Pj4NCj4+PiBUMjRnV jJWa0xDQXhNQ0JHWldJZ01qQXlN
U0F5TURvMU16bzBNQ0FyTURBd01Dd2dTbTlvYmlCU2RXMXREU W84YzJWbExtMTVMbk5wIA0KPj4+
DQo+PiANCj4+PiBFdmVuIFJPVDEzIGdpdmVzIG1lIGdpYmJlc mlzaC4NCj4+Pg0KPj4+IE5vdGUg
SSdtIHVzaW5nIGEgdHJhZGl0aW9uYWwgTmV3c3JlYWRlci4NC j4+Pg0KPj4gDQo+PiBEYXZlIFcn
cyBwb3N0cyBhcmUgTUlNRSBlbmNvZGVkLg0KPj4gDQo+d2hpY 2ggaXMgY29tcGxldGVseSBub24g
c3RhbmRhcmQgZm9yIFVzZW5ldCBhbmQgc2hvdWxkIGJlIHJla mVjdGVkDQoNCkknbSBldmVyIHNv
IHNvcnJ5LiBJIGFtIHVzaW5nIEZvcnRlIEFnZW50IG5ld3NyZ WFkZXIuIFdoYXQgY29kaW5nDQpz
aG91bGQgSSBiZSB1c2luZyB0byBhdm9pZCB5b3VyIHJlamVjd Glvbj8NCi0tIA0KRGF2ZSBXDQo=

OK, so you are posting in MIME64 which as far as I know was intended
for binary attachments.

I can read what you've written if I paste it into Notepad++ and do a
Base64 decode, which of course I don't intend to do as a matter of
course.

I think at least in this group that you are the only person posting in
such a way. Usenet fundamentally was/is a text based system.

I use a really old Forte Agent 1.21/32 1995-1999. Folk with later
newsreaders will have the capacity to interpret and post more complex
stuff, which in my view has not done any favours to Usenet. So I have
problems when html is posted though obviously I can read the text.

To go with the spirit of Usenet you should change your Options, sorry
can't tell you which one, to post as Text when posting to Newsgroups.

Hope that helps.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 11/02/2021 13:15, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 11/02/2021 12:45, AnthonyL wrote:

How do you arrive at that from what I see of Dave W's post?:

T24gV2VkLCAxMCBGZWIgMjAyMSAyMDo1Mzo0MCArMDAwMCwgSm 9obiBSdW1tDQo8c2VlLm15LnNp

Even ROT13 gives me gibberish.

Note I'm using a traditional Newsreader.

Dave W's posts are MIME encoded.

which is completely non standard for Usenet and should be rejected

I'm ever so sorry. I am using Forte Agent newsreader. What coding
should I be using to avoid your rejection?

TBH that statement I made ceased to be true some while ago. MIME is
acceptable on Usenet these days. But most people do not code it.

Thunderbird wont let me do any text decoration so I guess its also not
using MIME encoded stuff.

Look thru the choices under ToolsOptionsURL and Mime Settings.

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people by telling poor people that "other" rich people are the reason

Peter Thompson
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just a heads up to say its down and the mo, and may be for few days...

Normal service will be resumed shortly!

What's "Wiki"?

Its Hawaiian, it means "quick"

Wikepdia is OK.

and?

"its down and" should be "it's down
at".

Could you do the little squiggly red underlines next time please...

By all means, but I thought Usenet was meant to be plain text only.

This is actually what your post looks like inside

T24gVGh1LCAxMSBGZWIgMjAyMSAwMTowOTozNiArMDAwMCwgSm 9obiBSdW1tDQo8c2VlLm15LnNp
Z25hdHVyZUBub3doZXJlLm51bGw+IHdyb3RlOg0KDQo+T24gMT EvMDIvMjAyMSAwMDowMCwgRGF2
ZSBXIHdyb3RlOg0KPj4gT24gV2VkLCAxMCBGZWIgMjAyMSAyMD o1Mzo0MCArMDAwMCwgSm9obiBS
dW1tDQo+PiA8c2VlLm15LnNpZ25hdHVyZUBub3doZXJlLm51bG w+IHdyb3RlOg0KPj4gDQo+Pj4g
SnVzdCBhIGhlYWRzIHVwIHRvIHNheSBpdHMgZG93biBhbmQgdG hlIG1vLCBhbmQgbWF5IGJlIGZv
ciBmZXcgZGF5cy4uLg0KPj4+DQo+Pj4gTm9ybWFsIHNlcnZpY2 Ugd2lsbCBiZSByZXN1bWVkIHNo
b3J0bHkhDQo+PiANCj4+IFdoYXQncyAiV2lraSI/DQo+DQo+SXRzIEhhd2FpaWFuLCBpdCBtZWFu
cyAicXVpY2siDQo+DQo+ICBXaWtlcGRpYSBpcyBPSy4NCj4NCj 5hbmQ/DQo+DQo+Iml0cyBkb3du
IGFuZCIgc2hvdWxkIGJlICJpdCdzIGRvd24NCj4+IGF0Ii4NCj 4NCj5Db3VsZCB5b3UgZG8gdGhl
IGxpdHRsZSBzcXVpZ2dseSByZWQgdW5kZXJsaW5lcyBuZXh0IH RpbWUgcGxlYXNlLi4uDQoNCkJ5
IGFsbCBtZWFucywgYnV0IEkgdGhvdWdodCBVc2VuZXQgd2FzIG 1lYW50IHRvIGJlIHBsYWluIHRl
eHQgb25seS4NCi0tIA0KRGF2ZSBXDQo=

So you are properly restricting yourself to text/plain but for some
reason content-transfer-encoding is base 64, and I have no idea why

this is a more sane encoding

utf-8 is good news for stränge characters and 7 bit is vanilla as it gets

all women"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 11/02/2021 13:15, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 11/02/2021 12:45, AnthonyL wrote:

How do you arrive at that from what I see of Dave W's post?:

T24gV2VkLCAxMCBGZWIgMjAyMSAyMDo1Mzo0MCArMDAwMCwgSm 9obiBSdW1tDQo8c2VlLm15LnNp

Even ROT13 gives me gibberish.

Note I'm using a traditional Newsreader.

Dave W's posts are MIME encoded.

which is completely non standard for Usenet and should be rejected

I'm ever so sorry. I am using Forte Agent newsreader. What coding
should I be using to avoid your rejection?

TBH that statement I made ceased to be true some while ago. MIME is
acceptable on Usenet these days. But most people do not code it.

Thunderbird wont let me do any text decoration so I guess its also not
using MIME encoded stuff.

Look thru the choices under ToolsOptionsURL and Mime Settings.

I've just had a look at

https://www.forteinc.com/agent/tutorial.php

Not much mention of text there

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

so have I and its crap documentation and they expect you to pay for it
and 1.7 is so old the programmer has probably died and gone to hell

--
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.

Dennis Miller

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I found an old v 1.5 user guide in australia

try OptionsGeneral PreferencesLanguages tab.

and set usenet text to 7bit not mime and unset usenet mime headers

--
"If you dont read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I'm using Thuderbird and Dave's post seem to be coming through
perfectly. I wonder how many newsreaders don't cope with them?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 22:46:17 +0000, Steve Walker wrote:

I'm using Thuderbird and Dave's post seem to be coming through
perfectly.
I wonder how many newsreaders don't cope with them?

They don't have to. The ones that do are obeying the age-old maxim which
says something like be strict in what you generate, and forgiving in what
you accept.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

My text/terminal mode tin seems to cope with them with no issues.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

Steve Walker wrote:

I wonder how many newsreaders don't cope with them?

They don't have to. The ones that do are obeying the age-old maxim which
says something like be strict in what you generate, and forgiving in what
you accept.

RFC 5536

"The MIME header fields MIME-Version, Content-Type, Content-Transfer-
Encoding, Content-Disposition, and Content-Language are used in
Netnews articles in the same circumstances and with the same meanings
as those specified in [RFC2045], [RFC2183], and [RFC3282]"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just a heads up to say its down and the mo, and may be for few days...

Normal service will be resumed shortly!

What's "Wiki"?

Its Hawaiian, it means "quick"

Wikepdia is OK.

and?

"its down and" should be "it's down
at".

Could you do the little squiggly red underlines next time please...

By all means, but I thought Usenet was meant to be plain text only.

I think you may have your irony/sarcasm filter set at the wrong level :-)

For the avoidance of doubt, by wiki I did indeed mean the diy wiki and
not wikipedia. (as I am sure you are aware there a multitude of wiki
sites out there of which wikipedia is just one)

I also concede that there were typos in my original post, which was
typed in haste, and I did not proof it with care.

However, I would suggest absorbing the (imperfect) message and not
shooting the messenger!

(However in the scale of usenet sins, I would argue that dodgy
spelling/typing rates lower than posting binary encoded responses on
text only news groups! :-))

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

On the whole I've not seen reason to move beyond my v1.2 despite its
age. I like off-line readers. I like the way I can click a thread to
"Watch" and the next time it downloads the bodies.

I've tried Thunderbird and it is not as smooth If push came to shove
though that is what I'd use which would give me the
benefit/disadvantage of being able to click on links instead of having
to copy/past

I struggle with the on-line ones that require scoring. I'used to have
one that acted as a server on one of my machines (Hamster?) and then
pointed my Newsreader to that.

Is there a good free off-line newsreader? I suppose I could work
through
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ource_software

Claws is another piece of software I've failed to get on with.

Apologies to John for going off-topic.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:
[...]

Well, sorry to continue, but it is just thread creep and related to
the original.

An alternative to off-line is to run your own news server, that's what
I do. I use leafnode which is designed for such, i.e. a couple of
users on a relatively slow connection.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2021 22:46, Steve Walker wrote:
I'm using Thuderbird and Dave's post seem to be coming through
perfectly. I wonder how many newsreaders don't cope with them?

Ditto.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2021 00:06, Owain Lastname wrote:
On Wednesday, 10 February 2021 at 20:53:43 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
Just a heads up to say its down and the mo, and may be for few days...

How much are we paying for this hosting? ;-)

It's a nice round number!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 11/02/2021 13:15, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 11/02/2021 12:45, AnthonyL wrote:

How do you arrive at that from what I see of Dave W's post?:

T24gV2VkLCAxMCBGZWIgMjAyMSAyMDo1Mzo0MCArMDAwMCwgSm 9obiBSdW1tDQo8c2VlLm15LnNp

Even ROT13 gives me gibberish.

Note I'm using a traditional Newsreader.

Dave W's posts are MIME encoded.

which is completely non standard for Usenet and should be rejected

I'm ever so sorry. I am using Forte Agent newsreader. What coding
should I be using to avoid your rejection?

TBH that statement I made ceased to be true some while ago. MIME is
acceptable on Usenet these days. But most people do not code it.

Thunderbird wont let me do any text decoration so I guess its also not
using MIME encoded stuff.

Look thru the choices under ToolsOptionsURL and Mime Settings.

Under Agent, General Prefernces, I had Usenet Text=Base64 and Email
Text="Quoted printable (MIME)". These must have been defaults - I
certainly didn't put them there. Perhaps the receivers of gobbledegook
were looking at an email reply rather than a usenet reply.

Available choices for those two are 7bit/8bit, MIME, and Base64. I
will now try setting them both to 7bit/8bit. In addition they each
have a checkbox labelled 'MIME Headers' - the Email one was ticked,
but I have now unticked it.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just a heads up to say its down and the mo, and may be for few days...

Normal service will be resumed shortly!

What's "Wiki"?

Its Hawaiian, it means "quick"

Wikepdia is OK.

and?

"its down and" should be "it's down
at".

Could you do the little squiggly red underlines next time please...

By all means, but I thought Usenet was meant to be plain text only.

I think you may have your irony/sarcasm filter set at the wrong level :-)

For the avoidance of doubt, by wiki I did indeed mean the diy wiki and
not wikipedia. (as I am sure you are aware there a multitude of wiki
sites out there of which wikipedia is just one)

No I did not know that.

I also concede that there were typos in my original post, which was
typed in haste, and I did not proof it with care.

However, I would suggest absorbing the (imperfect) message and not
shooting the messenger!

(However in the scale of usenet sins, I would argue that dodgy
spelling/typing rates lower than posting binary encoded responses on
text only news groups! :-))

I only bunged that in along with my original query. I would never make
a special posting to complain of typos.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 19:41:48 +0000, Dave W
wrote:

Under Agent, General Prefernces, I had Usenet Text=Base64 and Email
Text="Quoted printable (MIME)". These must have been defaults - I
certainly didn't put them there. Perhaps the receivers of gobbledegook
were looking at an email reply rather than a usenet reply.

Available choices for those two are 7bit/8bit, MIME, and Base64. I
will now try setting them both to 7bit/8bit. In addition they each
have a checkbox labelled 'MIME Headers' - the Email one was ticked,
but I have now unticked it.

I'm afraid the headers of my trial post are exactly the same as
before. They still say Content-Transfer base64. Perhaps it's Eternal
September that's defining it.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Under Agent, General Prefernces, I had Usenet Text=Base64 and Email
Text="Quoted printable (MIME)". These must have been defaults - I
certainly didn't put them there. Perhaps the receivers of gobbledegook
were looking at an email reply rather than a usenet reply.

Available choices for those two are 7bit/8bit, MIME, and Base64. I
will now try setting them both to 7bit/8bit. In addition they each
have a checkbox labelled 'MIME Headers' - the Email one was ticked,
but I have now unticked it.

I'm afraid the headers of my trial post are exactly the same as
before. They still say Content-Transfer base64. Perhaps it's Eternal
September that's defining it.

Did you check C:\Program Files (x86)\Agent\Data\AGENT.INI

and see if the text in there says "base64" or not ?

It could be, that you are unable to save the preferences
because TrustedInstaller owns the folder.

Now, on Windows 10, I seem to be able to save it OK.

*******

If I do Properties on C:\Program Files (x86)\Agent\agent.exe,
the Compatibility isn't enabled. Which means mine runs with
Windows 10 rules for the time being, and yet I appear to be
able to save "AGENT.INI" preferences file OK.

Verify you are able to save the preferences. If that is
not working, experiment by changing the Compatibility of
the agent.exe executable.

I'm using a copy of 1.93 just to verify the preferences
saving works, and it seems to work in Windows 10. When it
really shouldn't. Preference files stored in Program Files
is a No-No for Windows. It hasn't allowed that in some time.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave W wrote in
:

I'm afraid the headers of my trial post are exactly the same as
before. They still say Content-Transfer base64. Perhaps it's Eternal
September that . . .

I agree that your headers post edit are the same.

I'm not an agent user but wonder if it's possible that you are editing
the default profile for general preferences and that some custom profile
has accidentally been applied to this NG meaning that it is not looking
to the default profile for its settings.

I also spotted the following on a random faq page:

"The MIME quoted printable option can be configured separately for each
language you have configured in Agent. See...

Options | General Preferences | Languages "

Likely you have only one language configured but I suppose it is worth
looking at.

Next step is to look at every setting tab to look for relevent switches
in unexpected location.

Paul's suggestion to search agent.ini for offending entries makes sense
too, it is good to still have some proggies that store their settings in
legible ini-s, v useful for this kind of thing.

I'm guessing that if you make a support request at forteinc then you will
be encouraged to make a paid upgrade.

Btw, it is agent that is doing this and not the news server, it's not
their thing and base64 is also being seen on proper newsreaders but mine
is decoding it automatically.

Thanks for persevering.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave W wrote:

I'm afraid the headers of my trial post are exactly the same as
before.

They are.

They still say Content-Transfer base64. Perhaps it's Eternal
September that's defining it.

No, it's definitely Agent doing it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 19:53:41 +0000, Dave W wrote:

For the avoidance of doubt, by wiki I did indeed mean the diy wiki and
not wikipedia. (as I am sure you are aware there a multitude of wiki
sites out there of which wikipedia is just one)

No I did not know that.

So much so that I even have a 'house' wiki. The family can find useful
stuff like how to reset the boiler, access codes for obscure stuff, etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2021 19:41, Dave W wrote:
Available choices for those two are 7bit/8bit, MIME, and Base64. I
will now try setting them both to 7bit/8bit. In addition they each
have a checkbox labelled 'MIME Headers' - the Email one was ticked,
but I have now unticked it.

No, I would use MIME headers and probably MIME for email

--
WOKE is an acronym... Without Originality, Knowledge or Education.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Under Agent, General Prefernces, I had Usenet Text=Base64 and Email
Text="Quoted printable (MIME)". These must have been defaults - I
certainly didn't put them there. Perhaps the receivers of gobbledegook
were looking at an email reply rather than a usenet reply.

Available choices for those two are 7bit/8bit, MIME, and Base64. I
will now try setting them both to 7bit/8bit. In addition they each
have a checkbox labelled 'MIME Headers' - the Email one was ticked,
but I have now unticked it.

I'm afraid the headers of my trial post are exactly the same as
before. They still say Content-Transfer base64. Perhaps it's Eternal
September that's defining it.

It is not

--
WOKE is an acronym... Without Originality, Knowledge or Education.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 19:53:41 +0000, Dave W wrote:

For the avoidance of doubt, by wiki I did indeed mean the diy wiki and
not wikipedia. (as I am sure you are aware there a multitude of wiki
sites out there of which wikipedia is just one)

No I did not know that.

So much so that I even have a 'house' wiki. The family can find useful
stuff like how to reset the boiler, access codes for obscure stuff, etc.

Yes, I use [doku]wiki for my wiki, it's a really nice format as the
content is a simple human readable markup language.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just a heads up to say its down and the mo, and may be for few days...

Normal service will be resumed shortly!

What's "Wiki"?

Its Hawaiian, it means "quick"

Wikepdia is OK.

and?

"its down and" should be "it's down
at".

Could you do the little squiggly red underlines next time please...

By all means, but I thought Usenet was meant to be plain text only.

I think you may have your irony/sarcasm filter set at the wrong level :-)

For the avoidance of doubt, by wiki I did indeed mean the diy wiki and
not wikipedia. (as I am sure you are aware there a multitude of wiki
sites out there of which wikipedia is just one)

No I did not know that.

ok fair enough...

Wikipedia itself runs on software called Mediawiki.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki

And that is one of a number of free open source wiki software platforms.

It's the one that we use for the wiki bit of the DIY FAQ. Normally at
wiki.diyfaq.org.uk, but currently you can see some of it on the wayback
machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20200611....php/Main_Page

Over recent years, all new FAQ content has gone onto the wiki, and some
of the old traditional static web based content has moved to it as well.

Links to content hosted on it are posted here frequently - so it's
likely you may have used it perhaps without even realising it.

The main advantage is that it supports multiple users and editors. So
anyone can upload new stuff, or make corrections or additions to
existing stuff. You don't have to wait for the FAQ maintainer to pull
his finger out to make changes!

Editing it requires no web based coding knowledge - so if you see a
typo, you click "edit" and fix it, then save the result. You can also
look at the history or any page and see all previous revisions and what
changed between them. You can use it to host images and then post links
here.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Sunday, February 14, 2021 at 10:33:06 AM UTC, Chris Green wrote:
Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 19:53:41 +0000, Dave W wrote:

For the avoidance of doubt, by wiki I did indeed mean the diy wiki and
not wikipedia. (as I am sure you are aware there a multitude of wiki
sites out there of which wikipedia is just one)

No I did not know that.

So much so that I even have a 'house' wiki. The family can find useful
stuff like how to reset the boiler, access codes for obscure stuff, etc..

Yes, I use [doku]wiki for my wiki, it's a really nice format as the
content is a simple human readable markup language.

--
Chris Green
·

Yeah, I've been getting into 'selfhosting' recently, via Docker & Docker-compose.
I am now self-hosting a couple of wikis, kanban board, nextCloud,
bookmarks app, git server, all on the local network.

Backup? What's that? ;-o

J^n
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Feb 2021 10:28:04 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 19:53:41 +0000, Dave W wrote:

For the avoidance of doubt, by wiki I did indeed mean the diy wiki
and not wikipedia. (as I am sure you are aware there a multitude of
wiki sites out there of which wikipedia is just one)

No I did not know that.

So much so that I even have a 'house' wiki. The family can find useful
stuff like how to reset the boiler, access codes for obscure stuff,
etc.

Yes, I use [doku]wiki for my wiki, it's a really nice format as the
content is a simple human readable markup language.

I'm using MoinMoin as I was already familiar with it. Once again, the
markup is simple.