Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wiki offline

Just a heads up to say its down and the mo, and may be for few days...

Normal service will be resumed shortly!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 20:53:40 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Just a heads up to say its down and the mo, and may be for few days...

Normal service will be resumed shortly!

What's "Wiki"? Wikepdia is OK. "its down and" should be "it's down
at".
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just a heads up to say its down and the mo, and may be for few days...

Normal service will be resumed shortly!

What's "Wiki"? Wikepdia is OK. "its down and" should be "it's down at".

He means the uk.d-i-y wiki. Normally (but not right now) at:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just a heads up to say its down and the mo, and may be for few days...

Normal service will be resumed shortly!

What's "Wiki"? Wikepdia is OK. "its down and" should be "it's down at".

He means the uk.d-i-y wiki. Normally (but not right now) at:

How do you arrive at that from what I see of Dave W's post?:

T24gV2VkLCAxMCBGZWIgMjAyMSAyMDo1Mzo0MCArMDAwMCwgSm 9obiBSdW1tDQo8c2VlLm15LnNp
Z25hdHVyZUBub3doZXJlLm51bGw+IHdyb3RlOg0KDQo+SnVzdC BhIGhlYWRzIHVwIHRvIHNheSBp
dHMgZG93biBhbmQgdGhlIG1vLCBhbmQgbWF5IGJlIGZvciBmZX cgZGF5cy4uLg0KPg0KPk5vcm1h
bCBzZXJ2aWNlIHdpbGwgYmUgcmVzdW1lZCBzaG9ydGx5IQ0KDQ pXaGF0J3MgIldpa2kiPyBXaWtl
cGRpYSBpcyBPSy4gIml0cyBkb3duIGFuZCIgc2hvdWxkIGJlIC JpdCdzIGRvd24NCmF0Ii4NCi0t
IA0KRGF2ZSBXDQo=

Even ROT13 gives me gibberish.

Note I'm using a traditional Newsreader.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2021 12:45, AnthonyL wrote:

How do you arrive at that from what I see of Dave W's post?:

T24gV2VkLCAxMCBGZWIgMjAyMSAyMDo1Mzo0MCArMDAwMCwgSm 9obiBSdW1tDQo8c2VlLm15LnNp

Even ROT13 gives me gibberish.

Note I'm using a traditional Newsreader.

Dave W's posts are MIME encoded.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2021 13:15, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 11/02/2021 12:45, AnthonyL wrote:

How do you arrive at that from what I see of Dave W's post?:

T24gV2VkLCAxMCBGZWIgMjAyMSAyMDo1Mzo0MCArMDAwMCwgSm 9obiBSdW1tDQo8c2VlLm15LnNp

Even ROT13 gives me gibberish.

Note I'm using a traditional Newsreader.

Dave W's posts are MIME encoded.

which is completely non standard for Usenet and should be rejected

--
Of what good are dead warriors? €¦ Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:

How do you arrive at that from what I see of Dave W's post?:

from his headers ...

T24gV2VkLCAxMCBGZWIgMjAyMSAyMDo1Mzo0MCArMDAwMCwgSm 9obiBSdW1tDQo8c2VlLm15LnNp
Z25hdHVyZUBub3doZXJlLm51bGw+IHdyb3RlOg0KDQo+SnVzdC BhIGhlYWRzIHVwIHRvIHNheSBp
dHMgZG93biBhbmQgdGhlIG1vLCBhbmQgbWF5IGJlIGZvciBmZX cgZGF5cy4uLg0KPg0KPk5vcm1h
bCBzZXJ2aWNlIHdpbGwgYmUgcmVzdW1lZCBzaG9ydGx5IQ0KDQ pXaGF0J3MgIldpa2kiPyBXaWtl
cGRpYSBpcyBPSy4gIml0cyBkb3duIGFuZCIgc2hvdWxkIGJlIC JpdCdzIGRvd24NCmF0Ii4NCi0t
IA0KRGF2ZSBXDQo=

paste it into a base64 decoder, e.g.

https://www.base64decode.org
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:

Note I'm using a traditional Newsreader.

I'm surprised freeagent can't cope with encoded body text ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just a heads up to say its down and the mo, and may be for few days...

Normal service will be resumed shortly!

What's "Wiki"?

Its Hawaiian, it means "quick"

Wikepdia is OK.

and?

"its down and" should be "it's down
at".

Could you do the little squiggly red underlines next time please...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just a heads up to say its down and the mo, and may be for few days...

Normal service will be resumed shortly!

What's "Wiki"?

Its Hawaiian, it means "quick"

Wikepdia is OK.

and?

"its down and" should be "it's down

at".

Could you do the little squiggly red underlines next time please...

By all means, but I thought Usenet was meant to be plain text only.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just a heads up to say its down and the mo, and may be for few days...

Normal service will be resumed shortly!

What's "Wiki"?

Its Hawaiian, it means "quick"

Wikepdia is OK.

and?

"its down and" should be "it's down
at".

Could you do the little squiggly red underlines next time please...

By all means, but I thought Usenet was meant to be plain text only.

This is actually what your post looks like inside

T24gVGh1LCAxMSBGZWIgMjAyMSAwMTowOTozNiArMDAwMCwgSm 9obiBSdW1tDQo8c2VlLm15LnNp
Z25hdHVyZUBub3doZXJlLm51bGw+IHdyb3RlOg0KDQo+T24gMT EvMDIvMjAyMSAwMDowMCwgRGF2
ZSBXIHdyb3RlOg0KPj4gT24gV2VkLCAxMCBGZWIgMjAyMSAyMD o1Mzo0MCArMDAwMCwgSm9obiBS
dW1tDQo+PiA8c2VlLm15LnNpZ25hdHVyZUBub3doZXJlLm51bG w+IHdyb3RlOg0KPj4gDQo+Pj4g
SnVzdCBhIGhlYWRzIHVwIHRvIHNheSBpdHMgZG93biBhbmQgdG hlIG1vLCBhbmQgbWF5IGJlIGZv
ciBmZXcgZGF5cy4uLg0KPj4+DQo+Pj4gTm9ybWFsIHNlcnZpY2 Ugd2lsbCBiZSByZXN1bWVkIHNo
b3J0bHkhDQo+PiANCj4+IFdoYXQncyAiV2lraSI/DQo+DQo+SXRzIEhhd2FpaWFuLCBpdCBtZWFu
cyAicXVpY2siDQo+DQo+ICBXaWtlcGRpYSBpcyBPSy4NCj4NCj 5hbmQ/DQo+DQo+Iml0cyBkb3du
IGFuZCIgc2hvdWxkIGJlICJpdCdzIGRvd24NCj4+IGF0Ii4NCj 4NCj5Db3VsZCB5b3UgZG8gdGhl
IGxpdHRsZSBzcXVpZ2dseSByZWQgdW5kZXJsaW5lcyBuZXh0IH RpbWUgcGxlYXNlLi4uDQoNCkJ5
IGFsbCBtZWFucywgYnV0IEkgdGhvdWdodCBVc2VuZXQgd2FzIG 1lYW50IHRvIGJlIHBsYWluIHRl
eHQgb25seS4NCi0tIA0KRGF2ZSBXDQo=

So you are properly restricting yourself to text/plain but for some
reason content-transfer-encoding is base 64, and I have no idea why

this is a more sane encoding

utf-8 is good news for stränge characters and 7 bit is vanilla as it gets

all women"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just a heads up to say its down and the mo, and may be for few days...

Normal service will be resumed shortly!

What's "Wiki"?

Its Hawaiian, it means "quick"

Wikepdia is OK.

and?

"its down and" should be "it's down
at".

Could you do the little squiggly red underlines next time please...

By all means, but I thought Usenet was meant to be plain text only.

I think you may have your irony/sarcasm filter set at the wrong level :-)

For the avoidance of doubt, by wiki I did indeed mean the diy wiki and
not wikipedia. (as I am sure you are aware there a multitude of wiki
sites out there of which wikipedia is just one)

I also concede that there were typos in my original post, which was
typed in haste, and I did not proof it with care.

However, I would suggest absorbing the (imperfect) message and not
shooting the messenger!

(However in the scale of usenet sins, I would argue that dodgy
spelling/typing rates lower than posting binary encoded responses on
text only news groups! :-))

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just a heads up to say its down and the mo, and may be for few days...

Normal service will be resumed shortly!

What's "Wiki"?

Its Hawaiian, it means "quick"

Wikepdia is OK.

and?

"its down and" should be "it's down
at".

Could you do the little squiggly red underlines next time please...

By all means, but I thought Usenet was meant to be plain text only.

I think you may have your irony/sarcasm filter set at the wrong level :-)

For the avoidance of doubt, by wiki I did indeed mean the diy wiki and
not wikipedia. (as I am sure you are aware there a multitude of wiki
sites out there of which wikipedia is just one)

No I did not know that.

I also concede that there were typos in my original post, which was
typed in haste, and I did not proof it with care.

However, I would suggest absorbing the (imperfect) message and not
shooting the messenger!

(However in the scale of usenet sins, I would argue that dodgy
spelling/typing rates lower than posting binary encoded responses on
text only news groups! :-))

I only bunged that in along with my original query. I would never make
a special posting to complain of typos.
--
Dave W