Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Wiki offline

On 13/02/2021 19:53, Dave W wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 12:54:08 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

On 11/02/2021 20:09, Dave W wrote:
On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 01:09:36 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

On 11/02/2021 00:00, Dave W wrote:
On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 20:53:40 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Just a heads up to say its down and the mo, and may be for few days...

Normal service will be resumed shortly!

What's "Wiki"?

Its Hawaiian, it means "quick"

Wikepdia is OK.

and?

"its down and" should be "it's down
at".

Could you do the little squiggly red underlines next time please...

By all means, but I thought Usenet was meant to be plain text only.

I think you may have your irony/sarcasm filter set at the wrong level :-)

For the avoidance of doubt, by wiki I did indeed mean the diy wiki and
not wikipedia. (as I am sure you are aware there a multitude of wiki
sites out there of which wikipedia is just one)

No I did not know that.

ok fair enough...

Wikipedia itself runs on software called Mediawiki.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki

And that is one of a number of free open source wiki software platforms.

It's the one that we use for the wiki bit of the DIY FAQ. Normally at
wiki.diyfaq.org.uk, but currently you can see some of it on the wayback
machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20200611....php/Main_Page

Over recent years, all new FAQ content has gone onto the wiki, and some
of the old traditional static web based content has moved to it as well.

Links to content hosted on it are posted here frequently - so it's
likely you may have used it perhaps without even realising it.

The main advantage is that it supports multiple users and editors. So
anyone can upload new stuff, or make corrections or additions to
existing stuff. You don't have to wait for the FAQ maintainer to pull
his finger out to make changes!

Editing it requires no web based coding knowledge - so if you see a
typo, you click "edit" and fix it, then save the result. You can also
look at the history or any page and see all previous revisions and what
changed between them. You can use it to host images and then post links
here.

--
Cheers,

John.