Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How does a dishwasher know how much water is in it?

My neighbours dishwasher filled up so that when she opened the door there was a few inches of water ready to flood her kitchen floor.

I reckon it is a sensor fault. I dug about on the internet, and it suggests it is a flow meter that tells the machine how much water is in there.
( https://www.how-to-repair.com/help/b...replace-parts/ could even be the same machine)

How does the flow meter tell how much water is in there?

or I am barking up the wrong tree?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2020 18:03, misterroy wrote:
My neighbours dishwasher filled up so that when she opened the door there was a few inches of water ready to flood her kitchen floor.

I reckon it is a sensor fault. I dug about on the internet, and it suggests it is a flow meter that tells the machine how much water is in there.
( https://www.how-to-repair.com/help/b...replace-parts/ could even be the same machine)

How does the flow meter tell how much water is in there?

or I am barking up the wrong tree?

The ones I've fixed have a lever sensor which works on air in a pipe
pressure they have a pipe from the area where the water collects at the
bottom to a sensor which is usually round tucked away higher up in the
machine. If the pipe gets blocked the machine over fills and/or doesn't
empty correctly. Never seen a sensor fail it is usually a blocked pipe.
Same idea in washing machines.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, December 29, 2020 at 7:03:04 PM UTC, Simon Templar wrote:
[...]

That is what I thought I was looking for, but after googling does not seem to be the case.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

(
https://www.how-to-repair.com/help/b...replace-parts/
could even be the same machine)

How does the flow meter tell how much water is in there?

Time plus flow is volume.

or I am barking up the wrong tree?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, December 29, 2020 at 7:42:24 PM UTC, Fred wrote:
"misterroy" wrote in message
My neighbours dishwasher filled up so that when she opened the door there
was a few inches of water ready to flood her kitchen floor.

I reckon it is a sensor fault. I dug about on the internet, and it
suggests it is a flow meter that tells the machine how much water is in
there.
(
https://www.how-to-repair.com/help/b...replace-parts/
could even be the same machine)

How does the flow meter tell how much water is in there?

Time plus flow is volume.
or I am barking up the wrong tree?

so how does it know when to stop measuring the flow?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"misterroy" wrote in message
My neighbours dishwasher filled up so that when she opened the door
there
was a few inches of water ready to flood her kitchen floor.

I reckon it is a sensor fault. I dug about on the internet, and it
suggests it is a flow meter that tells the machine how much water is in
there.
(
https://www.how-to-repair.com/help/b...replace-parts/
could even be the same machine)

How does the flow meter tell how much water is in there?

Time plus flow is volume.

or I am barking up the wrong tree?

so how does it know when to stop measuring the flow?

It knows when it has turned the flow on and off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 06:42:12 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

Time plus flow is volume.

No, it isn't, senile bigmouth!

--
dennis@home to retarded senile Rot:
"sod off rod you don't have a clue about anything."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"misterroy" wrote in message
My neighbours dishwasher filled up so that when she opened the door
there
was a few inches of water ready to flood her kitchen floor.

I reckon it is a sensor fault. I dug about on the internet, and it
suggests it is a flow meter that tells the machine how much water is in
there.
(
https://www.how-to-repair.com/help/b...replace-parts/
could even be the same machine)

How does the flow meter tell how much water is in there?

Time plus flow is volume.

or I am barking up the wrong tree?

so how does it know when to stop measuring the flow?

It knows when it has turned the flow on and off.

does it drain all the water into that big flat plastic bit at the side?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 07:33:56 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

so how does it know when to stop measuring the flow?

It knows when it has turned the flow on and off.

We know that you are an pesky troll whenever you open your senile gob, you
senile pest!

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"misterroy" wrote in message
My neighbours dishwasher filled up so that when she opened the door
there
was a few inches of water ready to flood her kitchen floor.

I reckon it is a sensor fault. I dug about on the internet, and it
suggests it is a flow meter that tells the machine how much water is
in
there.
(
https://www.how-to-repair.com/help/b...replace-parts/
could even be the same machine)

How does the flow meter tell how much water is in there?

Time plus flow is volume.

or I am barking up the wrong tree?

so how does it know when to stop measuring the flow?

It knows when it has turned the flow on and off.

does it drain all the water into that big flat plastic bit at the side?

Dunno, I havent needed to do any work on my Bosch yet.

It does have one major quirk, it can be tricky to get it to
start at times and quite often wont do two runs in a row,
but does start fine the next day. But just a week ago did
3 runs in a row fine. Likely its a bad cap in the electronics
board but I havent even got around to looking at that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 08:26:20 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

does it drain all the water into that big flat plastic bit at the side?

Dunno,

EXACTLY! But you will keep blathering away anyway, abnormal senile cretin
from Oz!

--
Sqwertz to Rodent Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 12:10:40 -0800 (PST), misterroy wrote:

I reckon it is a sensor fault. I dug about on the internet, and

it
suggests it is a flow meter that tells the machine how much water

is
in there.

How does the flow meter tell how much water is in there?

Time plus flow is volume.

Time multiplied by flow (rate). B-)

Might not need time as such. If the "flow meter" gives an output that
coresponds to a given quantity of water having passed through. Say a
pulse for each 10 ml. Count 100 pulses and you know that 1 l has
passed.

so how does it know when to stop measuring the flow?

It "knows" how much water it needs...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2020 19:36, misterroy wrote:
[...]

Washing machine "engineers" call them "pressure switches".

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, December 29, 2020 at 11:09:51 PM UTC, Max Demian wrote:
[...]

Here is an excellent washing machine "pressure switch" video https://youtu.be/baFaEvBywGc?t=851
from Secret Life of Machines. Wish he'd do an updated series.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd have thought there should be a level detector rather than a flow meter,
as that would be too hit and miss in my view. One of the reasons I never got
one is that so many who do have one have problems with them. In many cases
the dishes need pre cleaning or the thing cannot cope so what is the
point?Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"misterroy" wrote in message
My neighbours dishwasher filled up so that when she opened the door there
was a few inches of water ready to flood her kitchen floor.

I reckon it is a sensor fault. I dug about on the internet, and it
suggests it is a flow meter that tells the machine how much water is in
there.
(
https://www.how-to-repair.com/help/b...replace-parts/
could even be the same machine)

How does the flow meter tell how much water is in there?

or I am barking up the wrong tree?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 08:53:11 -0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

I'd have thought there should be a level detector rather than a flow
meter, as that would be too hit and miss in my view.

I think the water depth in a dishwasher is not very much compared to
a washing machine. Little depth means only a small pressure. I am
inclined to agree that a pressure based water level sensor makes more
sense, if you have enough depth...

One of the reasons I never got one is that so many who do have one have
problems with them. In many cases the dishes need pre cleaning or the
thing cannot cope so what is the point?

Aye, they don't seem to be the most reliable of machines and there is
all the faffing about loading, unloading, powders, rinse aid, salt
etc. OK I think you can get "all in one" pods these days but I guess
the salt requirement is still there.

And apart from having to pre-clean they send your drinks glasses all
"frosted".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 08:53:11 -0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

I'd have thought there should be a level detector rather than a flow
meter, as that would be too hit and miss in my view.

I think the water depth in a dishwasher is not very much compared to
a washing machine. Little depth means only a small pressure. I am
inclined to agree that a pressure based water level sensor makes more
sense, if you have enough depth...

One of the reasons I never got one is that so many who do have one have
problems with them. In many cases the dishes need pre cleaning or the
thing cannot cope so what is the point?

Aye, they don't seem to be the most reliable of machines and there is
all the faffing about loading, unloading, powders, rinse aid, salt
etc. OK I think you can get "all in one" pods these days but I guess
the salt requirement is still there.

I always connect ours to the soft water supply and disconnect the *no
salt* service.

And apart from having to pre-clean they send your drinks glasses all
"frosted".

Don't put any glass other than Pyrex/empty jars in a dishwasher!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2020 18:03, misterroy wrote:
My neighbours dishwasher filled up so that when she opened the door there was a few inches of water ready to flood her kitchen floor.

I reckon it is a sensor fault. I dug about on the internet, and it suggests it is a flow meter that tells the machine how much water is in there.
( https://www.how-to-repair.com/help/b...replace-parts/ could even be the same machine)

How does the flow meter tell how much water is in there?

or I am barking up the wrong tree?

mine had floats which switched off the water but they greased up and
failed...hate dishwashers more than computers
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/12/2020 08:31, misterroy wrote:

Here is an excellent washing machine "pressure switch" videohttps://youtu.be/baFaEvBywGc?t=851
from Secret Life of Machines. Wish he'd do an updated series.

Big Clive has a video tour of the innards of an Indesit washing machine
at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUHuFeFfCdA where he briefly points
out the the fill level sensor at 1:17.

He also has a teardown of the ingenious digital sensor at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-0KGbd91_I

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Excellent simple and informative presentation style. Thanks for the link.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

misterroy wrote:

Here is an excellent washing machine "pressure switch" video https://youtu.be/baFaEvBywGc?t=851

See also recent dishwasher video(s) by the "Technology Connections"
youtube channel

from Secret Life of Machines. Wish he'd do an updated series.

Probably difficult to capture the same vibe without Rex ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 10:06:40 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

I always connect ours to the soft water supply ...

More faffing about to maintain that. Not a problem here, lovely soft
mains water since they switched the source to Burnhope reservior. No
scale in kettle just a little bit of brown deposit that takes months
to appear.
Previously the supply was from an addit in limestone, that was a
little hard, descale kettle once or twice a year of nearly pure white
scale. St Albans, hard as nails, descale kettle every couple of
months of scale in lots of pretty green and blue colours...

And apart from having to pre-clean they send your drinks glasses

all
"frosted".

Don't put any glass other than Pyrex/empty jars in a dishwasher!

More faffing about hand washing your glasses when you've spnet lots
of money an a machine that doesn't do what it's supposed to do...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/12/2020 10:35, Mike Clarke wrote:
On 30/12/2020 08:31, misterroy wrote:

Here is an excellent washing machine "pressure switch"
videohttps://youtu.be/baFaEvBywGc?t=851
from Secret Life of Machines. Wish he'd do an updated series.

Big Clive has a video tour of the innards of an Indesit washing machine
at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUHuFeFfCdA where he briefly points
out the the fill level sensor at 1:17.

He also has a teardown of the ingenious digital sensor at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-0KGbd91_I

Thank you. I've often wondered whether they have multiple switches or a
transducer to allow for different filling levels.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
[...]

I'm sure they would fine on a *glass only* setting. Leaded glasses are
worse. I am banned from putting even cheap tumblers in ours!

Have you lived at St. Albans?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Aye, they don't seem to be the most reliable of machines and there is
all the faffing about loading, unloading, powders, rinse aid, salt
etc. OK I think you can get "all in one" pods these days but I guess
the salt requirement is still there.

We use 3 in 1 tablets - the Salt and Rinse Aid settings / warnings are
turned off in the settings. Siemens. Had it for about 8 years. No faf -
wash the filter about once a week.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

I'd have thought there should be a level detector rather than a flow
meter, as that would be too hit and miss in my view.

More fool you, its easier to do a flow meter reliably.

One of the reasons I never got one is that so many who do have one have
problems with them.

That’s as silly as always washing your clothes down
the river because washing machines do fail at times.

In many cases the dishes need pre cleaning or the thing cannot cope

None of mine have ever needed that.

so what is the point?

The point is that good ones with good detergent don’t.

"misterroy" wrote in message
My neighbours dishwasher filled up so that when she opened the door there
was a few inches of water ready to flood her kitchen floor.

I reckon it is a sensor fault. I dug about on the internet, and it
suggests it is a flow meter that tells the machine how much water is in
there.
(
https://www.how-to-repair.com/help/b...replace-parts/
could even be the same machine)

How does the flow meter tell how much water is in there?

or I am barking up the wrong tree?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 02:56:27 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I'd have thought there should be a level detector rather than a flow
meter, as that would be too hit and miss in my view.

More fool you, its easier to do a flow meter reliably.

Obviously not, you "all-knowing", deranged, senile troll!

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 08:53:11 -0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

I'd have thought there should be a level detector rather than a flow
meter, as that would be too hit and miss in my view.

I think the water depth in a dishwasher is not very much compared to
a washing machine. Little depth means only a small pressure. I am
inclined to agree that a pressure based water level sensor makes more
sense, if you have enough depth...

One of the reasons I never got one is that so many who do have one have
problems with them. In many cases the dishes need pre cleaning or the
thing cannot cope so what is the point?

Aye, they don't seem to be the most reliable of machines

Mine have been very reliable.

and there is all the faffing about loading, unloading,

No faffing about when you put the dirty stuff in the
dishwasher after each meal and run it when its full.

powders,

I use the rectangular blocks of detergent.
You don't even have to take the plastic off
the best of them, its soluble.

rinse aid,

Never bother with that.

salt etc.

Never need that.

OK I think you can get "all in one" pods these days
but I guess the salt requirement is still there.

Not for those not in hard water areas.

And apart from having to pre-clean they
send your drinks glasses all "frosted".

Only the ****ed detergents do that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message l.net, Dave
Liquorice writes
[...]

That's bull****, the best detergent doesn't do that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Clarke" wrote in message
On 30/12/2020 08:31, misterroy wrote:

Here is an excellent washing machine "pressure switch"
videohttps://youtu.be/baFaEvBywGc?t=851
from Secret Life of Machines. Wish he'd do an updated series.

Big Clive has a video tour of the innards of an Indesit washing machine at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUHuFeFfCdA where he briefly points out
the the fill level sensor at 1:17.

Wish the bugger would tear down them
all so we could decide which one to buy.

He also has a teardown of the ingenious digital sensor at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-0KGbd91_I

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 03:39:08 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

"Anonymous" to trolling senile Rodent Speed:
little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
misterroy wrote:

Here is an excellent washing machine "pressure switch" video
https://youtu.be/baFaEvBywGc?t=851

See also recent dishwasher video(s) by the "Technology Connections"
youtube channel

Interesting the big differences between north american
and european dishwashers. I have never seen a dishwasher
with a prewash detergent dispenser and I have been using
dishwashers since the very early 70s and we dont connect
our dishwashers to the hot water supply.

The reason we dont do that is because the initial prewash
works better with cold water because it doesnt bake some
stuff on to the plates in the first pre wash. And dishwashers
use so little hot water and need to heat the water to much
more than the normal hot water supply anyway.

I have only watched his rant about detergent packs
so far and he is just plain wrong about them. I have
never had any problem with a perfect result every
time and have only ever used detergent with
the big rectangular things of detergent.

from Secret Life of Machines. Wish he'd do an updated series.

Probably difficult to capture the same vibe without Rex ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 03:16:15 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH troll****

--
FredXX to Rodent Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Who or What is Rod Speed?"

"Who or What is Rod Speed?

man" on the InterNet."

Bill Wright to Rodent Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fred" wrote in message
Interesting the big differences between north american
and european dishwashers. I have never seen a dishwasher
with a prewash detergent dispenser and I have been using
dishwashers since the very early 70s and we dont connect
our dishwashers to the hot water supply.

For the UK market, are *any* dishwashers and (clothes) washing machines
still sold which connect to a both cold and hot water supply, as opposed to
just connecting to cold water and heating it as required? At a guess, I'd
say washing machines have been cold-water-only for the last 30 years. Not
sure about dishwashers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Nothing special required, just use the best
detergents which don't even cost anymore.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message l.net, Dave
Liquorice writes
[...]

They are in fact fine with the best detergent.

Leaded glasses are worse. I am banned from putting even cheap tumblers in
ours!

Then you need to use a better detergent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/12/2020 16:39, Fred wrote:

Wish the bugger would tear down them
all so we could decide which one to buy.

It would be of no use unless the tear-down was of a brand new machine
still on sale. It's much like people recommending a brand that they
purchased 20 years ago and because it has lasted that long (possibly
only for them) then this is the one to go for. They tend to forget that
during this period the brand has been sold on few times and the design
changed 10 times.

When looking for a new machine it may be more sensible to see who
actually owns the brands and to see if the many different brands are
manufactured in the same factories. Also take a good look at the
facilities you use on your current machine. Is it worth paying a couple
of hundred quid more for a machine with tens of extra wizzy-wizz
gimmicky features that you would never use?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 04:45:55 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

Interesting, the big mouth you got, you endlessly blathering senile dip****!

--
dennis@home to retarded senile Rot:
"sod off rod you don't have a clue about anything."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 05:07:03 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous