Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred Fred is offline

Default How does a dishwasher know how much water is in it?

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
misterroy wrote:

Here is an excellent washing machine "pressure switch" video
https://youtu.be/baFaEvBywGc?t=851

See also recent dishwasher video(s) by the "Technology Connections"
youtube channel

Interesting the big differences between north american
and european dishwashers. I have never seen a dishwasher
with a prewash detergent dispenser and I have been using
dishwashers since the very early 70s and we dont connect
our dishwashers to the hot water supply.

The reason we dont do that is because the initial prewash
works better with cold water because it doesnt bake some
stuff on to the plates in the first pre wash. And dishwashers
use so little hot water and need to heat the water to much
more than the normal hot water supply anyway.

I have only watched his rant about detergent packs
so far and he is just plain wrong about them. I have
never had any problem with a perfect result every
time and have only ever used detergent with
the big rectangular things of detergent.

from Secret Life of Machines. Wish he'd do an updated series.

Probably difficult to capture the same vibe without Rex ...