Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default How does a dishwasher know how much water is in it?

In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 08:53:11 -0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

I'd have thought there should be a level detector rather than a flow
meter, as that would be too hit and miss in my view.

I think the water depth in a dishwasher is not very much compared to
a washing machine. Little depth means only a small pressure. I am
inclined to agree that a pressure based water level sensor makes more
sense, if you have enough depth...

One of the reasons I never got one is that so many who do have one have
problems with them. In many cases the dishes need pre cleaning or the
thing cannot cope so what is the point?

Aye, they don't seem to be the most reliable of machines and there is
all the faffing about loading, unloading, powders, rinse aid, salt
etc. OK I think you can get "all in one" pods these days but I guess
the salt requirement is still there.

I always connect ours to the soft water supply and disconnect the *no
salt* service.

And apart from having to pre-clean they send your drinks glasses all
"frosted".

Don't put any glass other than Pyrex/empty jars in a dishwasher!

--
Tim Lamb