Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

Default Shortages and rationing

Shortages and rationing coming our way.....panic buy now ! ..... this
time we need to ...... I've done mine freezers are full ..... this is
the big one.....
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

jim.gm4dhj wrote:
Shortages and rationing coming our way.....panic buy now ! ..... this
time we need to ...... I've done mine freezers are full ..... this is
the big one.....

Sunlit uplands!

Theres definitely some kind of cosmic justice going on here, that a
pandemic is running wild on us just as were severing the secure links we
spent decades building with our neighbours. Still, blue passports, eh?

Looking forward to seeing Kent gridlocked from about this afternoon when
people start hitting the supermarkets in a panic for Christmas food and bog
roll.

--
STC / M0TEY
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 21/12/2020 06:52, jim.gm4dhj wrote:
Shortages and rationing coming our way.....panic buy now ! ..... this
time we need to ...... I've done mine freezers are full ..... this is
the big one.....

I read a few warnings to the farming communities about not taking
certain livestock to market today because it was likely that there would
be very low prices because exporters wouldn't be buying. It was expected
that the rest of Europe may impose travel and trucking bans and to/from
the UK in an effort to stop the spread of the new variant of the virus.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 21/12/2020 06:52, jim.gm4dhj wrote:
Shortages and rationing coming our way.....panic buy now ! ..... this
time we need to ...... I've done mine freezers are full ..... this is
the big one.....

I read a few warnings to the farming communities about not taking
certain livestock to market today because it was likely that there would
be very low prices because exporters wouldn't be buying. It was expected
that the rest of Europe may impose travel and trucking bans and to/from
the UK in an effort to stop the spread of the new variant of the virus.

Must admit to wondering how political this is. Is this 'new' version of
Covid really just in the UK - or have we just noticed it before others?

But of course limiting movement of anything and everything is likely to
help contain the virus.

--
*I know a guy who's addicted to brake fluid. He says he can stop any time.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 21/12/2020 10:35, alan_m wrote:
On 21/12/2020 06:52, jim.gm4dhj wrote:
Shortages and rationing coming our way.....panic buy now ! ..... this
time we need to ...... I've done mine freezers are full ..... this is
the big one.....

I read a few warnings to the farming communities about not taking
certain livestock to market today because it was likely that there would
be very low prices because exporters wouldn't be buying. It was expected
that the rest of Europe may impose travel and trucking bans and to/from
the UK in an effort to stop the spread of the new variant of the virus.

It's very unusual to stop freight. I do wonder if this is further
punishment for daring to leave the EU. The French are especially ****ed
off but truck drivers were never seen as a vector spreading disease.

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2020 08:53, Stephen Cole wrote:
jim.gm4dhj wrote:
Shortages and rationing coming our way.....panic buy now ! ..... this
time we need to ...... I've done mine freezers are full ..... this is
the big one.....

Sunlit uplands!

Theres definitely some kind of cosmic justice going on here, that a
pandemic is running wild on us just as were severing the secure links we
spent decades building with our neighbours. Still, blue passports, eh?

Looking forward to seeing Kent gridlocked from about this afternoon when
people start hitting the supermarkets in a panic for Christmas food and bog
roll.

brian is about to get a preview of a no deal brexit...tee hee
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

Must admit to wondering how political this is. Is this 'new' version of
Covid really just in the UK - or have we just noticed it before others?

Apparently, our ability in genomic science is one of the very best so
we've found it before others.

--
Frank

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
On 21/12/2020 10:35, alan_m wrote:
On 21/12/2020 06:52, jim.gm4dhj wrote:
Shortages and rationing coming our way.....panic buy now ! ..... this
time we need to ...... I've done mine freezers are full ..... this is
the big one.....

I read a few warnings to the farming communities about not taking
certain livestock to market today because it was likely that there would
be very low prices because exporters wouldn't be buying. It was expected
that the rest of Europe may impose travel and trucking bans and to/from
the UK in an effort to stop the spread of the new variant of the virus.

It's very unusual to stop freight. I do wonder if this is further
punishment for daring to leave the EU. The French are especially ****ed
off but truck drivers were never seen as a vector spreading disease.

Perhaps if we'd just left the EU that would be true.

But in case it's escaped your notice, we've spent years trying to
negotiate effectively retaining EU 'membership' for the bits of it we like.

Why does it come as a surprise that other EU members aren't having this?

Try looking at it from their point of view.

--
*Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
[...]

Not remotely accurate the EU want us to sign up for more than we want to.
We want limited trade deals no free movement etc and not handing over
control of things. If we gave in to your version the deal would have been
done under May. The EU need money and are worried if we leave others will
follow.

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 21/12/2020 11:39, Radio Man wrote:

But in case it's escaped your notice, we've spent years trying to
negotiate effectively retaining EU 'membership' for the bits of it we like.

Not remotely accurate the EU want us to sign up for more than we want to.

Can you explain what the difference is?

We want limited trade deals no free movement etc and not handing over
control of things.

The EU aren't accepting that. I suppose that they are just exercising
their sovereignty. Now, who'd have expected that, eh?

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2020 11:43, GB wrote:
On 21/12/2020 11:39, Radio Man wrote:

But in case it's escaped your notice, we've spent years trying to
negotiate effectively retaining EU 'membership' for the bits of it we
like.

Not remotely accurate the EU want us to sign up for more than we want to.

Can you explain what the difference is?

We want limited trade deals no free movement etc and not handing over
control of things.

The EU aren't accepting that. I suppose that they are just exercising
their sovereignty. Now, who'd have expected that, eh?

Anyone who understood the vicious desperate ****s that they are.

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2020 11:16, Jim Stewart ... wrote:

Looking forward to seeing Kent gridlocked from about this afternoon when
people start hitting the supermarkets in a panic for Christmas food
and bog
roll.

You be lucky to find bog roll on the shelves - if you do grab whilst you
can.

Also, in some areas supermarket home deliveries are already rationing
bulky items (presumably so they can get the orders for a greater number
of customers in the same van delivery)

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 21/12/2020 11:22, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 11:17:34 +0000, F wrote:

Must admit to wondering how political this is. Is this 'new' version of
Covid really just in the UK - or have we just noticed it before others?

Apparently, our ability in genomic science is one of the very best so
we've found it before others.

Well considering *I* was talking about mutations in June, I'd hope
someone was watching out for them.

The trick is, when you are planning things, to ask yourself "What, based
on history and science, is most likely to **** things up ?" and the
factor that into your plans.

If the UK government didn't do that, then what's the point of them ?
Seriously ? I have a whole load of statements from them as to what they
are *not* about (for example, ensuring food, water and medicines for the
population).

It doesn't matter a **** about knowing or guessing in advance what
mutations will or will not occur. We don't know, and no one knows, yet.,

For my money the government despite that weaselly **** 'hand on cock'
has done a pretty decent job of behaving pragmatically as conservatives
should. They have three political axes to optimise
- high death rate and hospital overload - electoral disaster
- damage to the economy - electoral disaster
- loss of credibility - electoral disaster.

In short its a no win for them, It's pure damage limitation.
That is why I don't think unlike some tinfoil hatters, that this
government at any rate, started it or is lying about it.

Lockdown is, ex of a vaccine that works, all they have, to try and
optimise a three way axis of disaster.

If case loads are low, track and trace and quarantine works, but we are
now again beyond that.

If I survive the winter, it will be interesting to see who else
does...in S Africa they have a strain that is attacking young people
more than the old, apparently

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 21 Dec 2020 at 12:02:22 GMT, "The Natural Philosopher"
wrote:

[...]

I think their biggest mistake was to give track and trace to their pals and
the usual suspect outsourcing firms, instead of giving money to the generally
excellent and experienced local contract tracing teams. The latter had much
local knowledge, plus experience of training newcomers and ad hoc assistants,
and were very good at gaining trust for their contact tracing. Contact
tracing has been the biggest failure.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 11:04:41 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 21/12/2020 06:52, jim.gm4dhj wrote:
Shortages and rationing coming our way.....panic buy now ! ..... this
time we need to ...... I've done mine freezers are full ..... this is
the big one.....

I read a few warnings to the farming communities about not taking
certain livestock to market today because it was likely that there would
be very low prices because exporters wouldn't be buying. It was expected
that the rest of Europe may impose travel and trucking bans and to/from
the UK in an effort to stop the spread of the new variant of the virus.

Must admit to wondering how political this is. Is this 'new' version of
Covid really just in the UK - or have we just noticed it before others?

But of course limiting movement of anything and everything is likely to
help contain the virus.

Or all the animals stuck in lorries queuing at Dover. Maybe it doesn't
matter as they were going to 'die anyway'. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

The EU aren't accepting that. I suppose that they are just exercising
their sovereignty. Now, who'd have expected that, eh?

Anyone who understood the vicious desperate ****s that they are.

They certainly don't want to give people the idea that they can enjoy
the benefits of being in the EU without being in the EU. Does that make
them desperate ****s?

When this was all predicted, it was Project Fear. Now, it's blame the
EU. Why not just accept that people voted to leave the EU without having
the foggiest about what they were voting for?

They then voted Boris into office. I expected him to **** up*, but never
did I expect him to preside over an enforced slimming campaign for the
country.

* I live in London, and we've had the benefit (ahem) of seeing him in
action as mayor.
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

["Followup-To:" header set to uk.d-i-y.]
On 2020-12-21, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 21/12/2020 11:43, GB wrote:
The EU aren't accepting that. I suppose that they are just exercising
their sovereignty. Now, who'd have expected that, eh?

Anyone who understood the vicious desperate ****s that they are.

Ah. How sweet. Nice rational dialogue.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 2020-12-21, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 21/12/2020 11:43, GB wrote:
The EU aren't accepting that. I suppose that they are just exercising
their sovereignty. Now, who'd have expected that, eh?

Anyone who understood the vicious desperate ****s that they are.

Ah. How sweet. Nice rational dialogue.

Project tears (and tantrums).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2020-12-21, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 21/12/2020 11:43, GB wrote:
The EU aren't accepting that. I suppose that they are just exercising
their sovereignty. Now, who'd have expected that, eh?

Anyone who understood the vicious desperate ****s that they are.

Ah. How sweet. Nice rational dialogue.

Not in favour of a straight answer then?

That perfectly rational. The EU are desperate because the organisation
has proved to be a failure, and we, like the little boy in the emperors
new clothes, have pointed this out.
They are desperate because the continued existence of the whole scam
depends on people believing in it,and a who country has more otr less
said 'we don't' and they are vicious because that is all they have left
- there isn't an iota of competence to be found.

And that in my book, is what I call a ****. Vicious, incompetent and a liar.

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2020-12-21, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 21/12/2020 11:43, GB wrote:
The EU aren't accepting that. I suppose that they are just exercising
their sovereignty. Now, who'd have expected that, eh?

Anyone who understood the vicious desperate ****s that they are.

Ah. How sweet. Nice rational dialogue.

Not in favour of a straight answer then?

That perfectly rational. The EU are desperate because the organisation
has proved to be a failure, and we, like the little boy in the emperors
new clothes, have pointed this out.
They are desperate because the continued existence of the whole scam
depends on people believing in it,and a who country has more otr less
said 'we don't' and they are vicious because that is all they have left
- there isn't an iota of competence to be found.

And that in my book, is what I call a ****. Vicious, incompetent and a liar.

You really do have a problem, don't you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 21/12/2020 06:52, jim.gm4dhj wrote:
Shortages and rationing coming our way.....panic buy now ! ..... this
time we need to ...... I've done mine freezers are full ..... this is
the big one.....

I read a few warnings to the farming communities about not taking
certain livestock to market today because it was likely that there would
be very low prices because exporters wouldn't be buying. It was expected
that the rest of Europe may impose travel and trucking bans and to/from
the UK in an effort to stop the spread of the new variant of the virus.

Must admit to wondering how political this is. Is this 'new' version of
Covid really just in the UK - or have we just noticed it before others?

But of course limiting movement of anything and everything is likely to
help contain the virus.

FWIW I think "Cancel Christmas" was just another government panic
recognising that there would be a post holiday spike so that now they
can say "we did something, it would have been worse".

More intriguing is whether the French 48 hour ban is actually just a
Brexit curve-ball, "See what no-deal will be like" to encourage a U turn
on fish. Not from the EU, just the French being typically bloody minded.
(And I like the French).
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 21/12/2020 14:07, newshound wrote:

More intriguing is whether the French 48 hour ban is actually just a
Brexit curve-ball, "See what no-deal will be like" to encourage a U turn
on fish. Not from the EU, just the French being typically bloody minded.
(And I like the French).

The problem with a ban now is that the transport of goods is already in
somewhat of a mess because of the worldwide effects of Covid. There
seems that a large percentage of the worlds transport containers are
currently in the wrong places.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

In article ,
newshound wrote:
In article ,
alan_m wrote:
[...]

as my Rev daughter sausy "Christmas hasn't been cancelled - the parties
that often go with it have been."

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 12:22:08 +0000, T i m wrote:

Must admit to wondering how political this is. Is this 'new'

version of
Covid really just in the UK - or have we just noticed it before

others?

Saw a very brief mention that this "new variant" is very similar if
not the same as the one found in Mink in the Netherlands. We slammed
the door on them at break neck speed compared to HMG's normal (lack
of) speed in reacting to the science.

Political? I think there is some element of that.

But of course limiting movement of anything and everything is

likely to
help contain the virus.

What's shutting the door for 48 hours going to do in regards the
spread? SFA.

Or all the animals stuck in lorries queuing at Dover. Maybe it doesn't
matter as they were going to 'die anyway'. ;-(

Are there any? Live export mainly goes through Ramsgate and not all
live exports are for slaughter, some are for fattening. Everything
living dies, it's one of the very few absolute guarantees of life.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2020-12-21, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 21/12/2020 11:43, GB wrote:
The EU aren't accepting that. I suppose that they are just exercising
their sovereignty. Now, who'd have expected that, eh?

Anyone who understood the vicious desperate ****s that they are.

Ah. How sweet. Nice rational dialogue.

Not in favour of a straight answer then?

That perfectly rational. The EU are desperate because the organisation
has proved to be a failure, and we, like the little boy in the emperors
new clothes, have pointed this out.
They are desperate because the continued existence of the whole scam
depends on people believing in it,and a who country has more otr less
said 'we don't' and they are vicious because that is all they have left
- there isn't an iota of competence to be found.

And that in my book, is what I call a ****. Vicious, incompetent and a liar.

You really do have a problem, don't you?

Not really.

You do, however.

--
€But what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!€¯

Mary Wollstonecraft

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 21/12/2020 14:16, alan_m wrote:
The problem with a ban now is that the transport of goods is already in
somewhat of a mess because of the worldwide effects of Covid. There
seems that a large percentage of the worlds transport containers are
currently in the wrong places.

Indeed. Covid 19 along with third world immigration issues is a greater
de globalisation tool than all the nationalist politicians put together

When the ship is sailing merrily along, open the watertight doors, but
close them quick when it's holed below the waterline

--
€But what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!€¯

Mary Wollstonecraft
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 14:44:12 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

snip

Or all the animals stuck in lorries queuing at Dover. Maybe it doesn't
matter as they were going to 'die anyway'. ;-(

Are there any?

Pass. I thought (hoped) it was going to be banned 'when' we leave the
EU but I'm not sure when if / when that's going to happen re
'everything'.

Live export mainly goes through Ramsgate and not all
live exports are for slaughter, some are for fattening.

Ah, that's ok then, fattening to be then set free to live out their
natural lives?

Everything
living dies, it's one of the very few absolute guarantees of life.

Sure, but hopefully after a long and natural life, not as a child (as
most animals killed for their flesh are very young and getting younger
(with foods and drugs) as that's better for profits).

We know all about the difference after losing one of our own (and even
then she was 39). ;-(

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 14:07:10 +0000, newshound
wrote:

snip

FWIW I think "Cancel Christmas" was just another government panic
recognising that there would be a post holiday spike so that now they
can say "we did something, it would have been worse".

I wonder what percentage of the population it will actually impact
(not having whatever they would normally do for Xmyth)?

More intriguing is whether the French 48 hour ban is actually just a
Brexit curve-ball, "See what no-deal will be like" to encourage a U turn
on fish. Not from the EU, just the French being typically bloody minded.
(And I like the French).

Every time I here honest talk if the whole fishing farce it seems more
and more 'petty'.

It only accounts for a miniscule part of our GPD. It employs many
people that the Brexiteers would prefer weren't here (in all the
'processing' jobs) and much of what we catch goes to the EU anyway
(and will now needs loads of paperwork) and we won't be able to afford
the fish we do like that's typically bought in from the EU
(apparently).

At least we can still enjoy our home grown salmon. But hey, it's not
just salmon, it's below welfare standards, 'factory farmed', sea lice
ridden salmon ...

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2020 15:23, T i m wrote:

It only accounts for a miniscule part of our GPD.

And its the same for the French. It's all about political manoeuvring.

The French will concede on fishing because they don't really care that
much about it as long as the UK concedes on something else more
important that will be of more benefit to the French and Germans.

Probably measures stopping of the UK Government bailing out industries
or giving favourable tax breaks to attract jobs (jobs that may otherwise
go to the EU). Some EU countries don't have this problem because the
companies they would have bailed out are partially owned by the state
and hence it's normal investment or receipt of favourable contracts.

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
But in case it's escaped your notice, we've spent years trying to
negotiate effectively retaining EU 'membership' for the bits of it we
like.

Not remotely accurate the EU want us to sign up for more than we want
to.

Not remotely accurate. The EU - just like everyone else - has no intention
of giving things away. Much as the likes of BoJo thinks it's the gawd
given right of the UK to demand and be given.

We want limited trade deals no free movement etc and not handing
over control of things. If we gave in to your version the deal would
have been done under May.

All you've repeated is what we all knew from the start - leavers want
their cake and to eat it. And thought the EU would be perfectly happy with
that.

The EU need money and are worried if we leave
others will follow.

Of course. If we got what leavers said was going to be so easy - all the
benefits with none of the responsibilities - other would want the same.

--
*I'm not a paranoid, deranged millionaire. Dammit, I'm a billionaire.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

jim.gm4dhj wrote:
Shortages and rationing coming our way.....panic buy now ! ..... this
time we need to ...... I've done mine freezers are full ..... this is
the big one.....

Sunlit uplands!

There’s definitely some kind of cosmic justice going on here, that a
pandemic is running wild on us just as we’re severing the secure links we
spent decades building with our neighbours. Still, blue passports, eh?

Looking forward to seeing Kent gridlocked from about this afternoon when
people start hitting the supermarkets in a panic for Christmas food and bog
roll.

brian is about to get a preview of a no deal brexit...tee hee

Bring it on. We're not scared. The BEST deal is NO DEAL.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

In article ,
newshound wrote:
FWIW I think "Cancel Christmas" was just another government panic
recognising that there would be a post holiday spike so that now they
can say "we did something, it would have been worse".

Didn't most see it coming?

There is a few of us who usually spend Xmas together. That idea was
cancelled for this year about a couple of months ago. Regardless of what
the government said was OK or not. The better be safe than sorry syndrome.

BoJo loves the adulation of seeming to be giving or promising something.
Even when it is known to be merely a dream. Think oven ready deal, etc.

To me, promising a treat then cancelling it is worse than promising it in
the first place.

--
*A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 11:08:11 +0000, Fredxx
wrote:

On 21/12/2020 10:35, alan_m wrote:
On 21/12/2020 06:52, jim.gm4dhj wrote:
Shortages and rationing coming our way.....panic buy now ! ..... this
time we need to ...... I've done mine freezers are full ..... this is
the big one.....

I read a few warnings to the farming communities about not taking
certain livestock to market today because it was likely that there would not
be very low prices because exporters wouldn't be buying. It was expected
that the rest of Europe may impose travel and trucking bans and to/from
the UK in an effort to stop the spread of the new variant of the virus.

It's very unusual to stop freight. I do wonder if this is further
punishment for daring to leave the EU. The French are especially ****ed
off but truck drivers were never seen as a vector spreading disease.

I'm pretty sure they can't lawfully do what they've done as it's
against *at least* one of the treaties. But that's the French for you
and they only obey the laws that suit them (and they're not alon e in
that - the UK was one of the few who slavishly followed every dictat.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 11:13:12 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

[...]

Not quite sure why El Salvador has also banned travel from UK then. Did
we miss their accession to the EU ?

Give it time. They'll probably be in with the rest of central America
in the next phase of expansion.

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 11:39:33 -0000 (UTC), Radio Man
wrote:

Not remotely accurate the EU want us to sign up for more than we want to.
We want limited trade deals no free movement etc and not handing over
control of things. If we gave in to your version the deal would have been
done under May. The EU need money and are worried if we leave others will
follow.

"If we leave"?? You need to stop watching the BBC and get up to speed
mate!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

In article ,
charles wrote:
FWIW I think "Cancel Christmas" was just another government panic
recognising that there would be a post holiday spike so that now they
can say "we did something, it would have been worse".

as my Rev daughter sausy "Christmas hasn't been cancelled - the parties
that often go with it have been."

Be interesting to know what percentage still consider it primarily a
religious festival?

--
*He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

In article ,
charles wrote:
FWIW I think "Cancel Christmas" was just another government panic
recognising that there would be a post holiday spike so that now they
can say "we did something, it would have been worse".

as my Rev daughter sausy "Christmas hasn't been cancelled - the parties
that often go with it have been."

Be interesting to know what percentage still consider it primarily a
religious festival?

Not I, for one. Devout Atheist here.

And by devout I mean if anyone calls intending to convert / frighten
me then I'll attempt to convert them from their world of make-believe
into the real world.

Once I had a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses in conversation for nearly an
hour and when she said that she had to go now because her son was
ill in bed I challenged her that it was not very christian to go out
prosetylising when a family member was ill and she argued that for
a further 20 minutes ! ! ! !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2020 15:23, T i m wrote:
On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 14:07:10 +0000, newshound
wrote:

snip

FWIW I think "Cancel Christmas" was just another government panic
recognising that there would be a post holiday spike so that now they
can say "we did something, it would have been worse".

I wonder what percentage of the population it will actually impact
(not having whatever they would normally do for Xmyth)?

More intriguing is whether the French 48 hour ban is actually just a
Brexit curve-ball, "See what no-deal will be like" to encourage a U turn
on fish. Not from the EU, just the French being typically bloody minded.
(And I like the French).

Every time I here honest talk if the whole fishing farce it seems more
and more 'petty'.

Put the bottle down and post again when sober.

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

jim.gm4dhj wrote:
Shortages and rationing coming our way.....panic buy now ! ..... this
time we need to ...... I've done mine freezers are full ..... this is
the big one.....

Sunlit uplands!

Theres definitely some kind of cosmic justice going on here, that a
pandemic is running wild on us just as were severing the secure links we
spent decades building with our neighbours. Still, blue passports, eh?

Looking forward to seeing Kent gridlocked from about this afternoon when
people start hitting the supermarkets in a panic for Christmas food and bog
roll.

brian is about to get a preview of a no deal brexit...tee hee

Bring it on. We're not scared. The BEST deal is NO DEAL.

Have you moved back?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur
GB GB is offline

On 21/12/2020 14:39, charles wrote:

as my Rev daughter sausy "Christmas hasn't been cancelled - the parties
that often go with it have been."

I'm not even Christian, and I recognise the sense in that.

OT Rationing trader_4 Home Repair 1 April 21st 20 05:54 PM
Is there rationing again in UK's future? p-0''0-h the cat (coder) Home Repair 4 July 17th 18 05:40 PM
UK preps ww2 style energy rationing, etc Phil UK diy 12 June 16th 14 09:51 PM
The fallacy of talent shortages and H-1B visas [email protected] Metalworking 0 August 26th 13 04:08 AM
Hurricane to cause gasoline and natural gas shortages? Oscar_Lives Home Repair 16 August 29th 05 02:29 AM