Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TOT 'Smart' meters

We live in a building divided in three, two of the properties being holiday lets. I finally gave in to the nagging and agreed to have smart meters installed for our property.

They didn't turn up on Monday for no reason and were rebooked for today. The engineer then said he coudln't install our meters because there is a shared neutral for the three properties.

A waste of time and a farce. Shan't be bothering to make another appointment.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2020 15:35, Jonathan wrote:
We live in a building divided in three, two of the properties being holiday lets. I finally gave in to the nagging and agreed to have smart meters installed for our property.

They didn't turn up on Monday for no reason and were rebooked for today. The engineer then said he coudln't install our meters because there is a shared neutral for the three properties.

A waste of time and a farce. Shan't be bothering to make another appointment.

Is this a case of the 3 properties having separate meters but only one
big cable coming in and one "head end" with a big fuse (see the photos
in the link below) which serves all 3? If so the engineer couldn't do
anything because it would have meant pulling the fuse and cutting off
power to all 3 properties*. Without the permission and presence of
their owner(s) that could have unknown and consequences.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Earthing_Types

*Such arrangements haven't been permitted for some years now because of
the way the properties are interdependent. Eg one person blows the main
fuse and all 3 suffer.
--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2020 15:35, Jonathan wrote:
We live in a building divided in three, two of the properties being holiday lets. I finally gave in to the nagging and agreed to have smart meters installed for our property.

They didn't turn up on Monday for no reason and were rebooked for today. The engineer then said he coudln't install our meters because there is a shared neutral for the three properties.

A waste of time and a farce. Shan't be bothering to make another appointment.

Jonathan

Well now you can inform the ****lords that they will have to dig
deep into their well-lined pockets and pay to have their properties
given its own separate supply. :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2020 16:44, Robin wrote:
On 17/12/2020 15:35, Jonathan wrote:
We live in a building divided in three, two of the properties being
holiday lets. I finally gave in to the nagging and agreed to have
smart meters installed for our property.

They didn't turn up on Monday for no reason and were rebooked for
today. The engineer then said he coudln't install our meters because
there is a shared neutral for the three properties.

A waste of time and a farce. Shan't be bothering to make another
appointment.

Is this a case of the 3 properties having separate meters but only one
big cable coming in and one "head end" with a big fuse (see the photos
in the link below) which serves all 3?Â* If so the engineer couldn't do
anything because it would have meant pulling the fuse and cutting off
power to all 3 properties*.Â* Without the permission and presence of
their owner(s) that could have unknown and consequences.

It is normal for electricity supplies to be cut off. There are planned
and unplanned power cuts. Even in the planned power cuts you may get a
warning but they don't ask if you mind.

I do refuse to have a smart meter. I would like to see those that have
them being charged more to cover the operating cost.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

Im delighted to have a smart meter. Means that I can be on an innovative
tariff thats saving me a lot of money.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2020 18:52, Tim+ wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

They would want to charge me more for cooking after 5pm!

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
On 17/12/2020 18:52, Tim+ wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

Yep, I have that. The quid pro quo is that I get cheaper electricity the
rest of the day and at night (which is handy for EV charging). All depends
on your consumption pattern. Overall Im better off.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes but I got the impression that these were holiday lets and as such are
empty at the moment, or should be.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Robin" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, December 17, 2020 at 6:08:53 PM UTC, Andrew wrote:
On 17/12/2020 15:35, Jonathan wrote:
We live in a building divided in three, two of the properties being holiday lets. I finally gave in to the nagging and agreed to have smart meters installed for our property.

They didn't turn up on Monday for no reason and were rebooked for today. The engineer then said he coudln't install our meters because there is a shared neutral for the three properties.

A waste of time and a farce. Shan't be bothering to make another appointment.

Jonathan

Well now you can inform the ****lords that they will have to dig
deep into their well-lined pockets and pay to have their properties
given its own separate supply. :-)

I am the landlord. The guy from the elctricity company didn't seem to upset by the arrangement and there are three fuses.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, December 18, 2020 at 7:01:44 AM UTC, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yes but I got the impression that these were holiday lets and as such are
empty at the moment, or should be.
Brian

--

Yes they are. Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, December 18, 2020 at 7:00:17 AM UTC, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Sorry, I don't really get it at all. Seems to me that the fix for this is
not that hard to achieve, but then again, he might only be insured for his
narrow bit of the job.
Brian

No his problem was that he hasn't had the 'training'
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 23:13:31 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

Michael Chare wrote:
On 17/12/2020 18:52, Tim+ wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:
On 17/12/2020 16:44, Robin wrote:
On 17/12/2020 15:35, Jonathan wrote:
We live in a building divided in three, two of the properties being
holiday lets. I finally gave in to the nagging and agreed to have
smart meters installed for our property.

They didn't turn up on Monday for no reason and were rebooked for
today. The engineer then said he coudln't install our meters
because there is a shared neutral for the three properties.

A waste of time and a farce. Shan't be bothering to make another
appointment.

Is this a case of the 3 properties having separate meters but only
one big cable coming in and one "head end" with a big fuse (see the
photos in the link below) which serves all 3?Â* If so the engineer
couldn't do anything because it would have meant pulling the fuse
and cutting off power to all 3 properties*.Â* Without the permission
and presence of their owner(s) that could have unknown and
consequences.

It is normal for electricity supplies to be cut off. There are
planned and unplanned power cuts. Even in the planned power cuts you
may get a warning but they don't ask if you mind.

I do refuse to have a smart meter. I would like to see those that
have them being charged more to cover the operating cost.

Im delighted to have a smart meter. Means that I can be on an
innovative tariff thats saving me a lot of money.

Tim

They would want to charge me more for cooking after 5pm!

Yep, I have that. The quid pro quo is that I get cheaper electricity the
rest of the day and at night (which is handy for EV charging). All
depends on your consumption pattern. Overall Im better off.

For now

Nothing lasts forever but why would they want to penalise the very
customers who are helping to stabilise the grid?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2020 18:52, Tim+ wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

Do the maths. Over the longer period you will end up paying far more
in standing charges than the cost of the 'smart' meter.
We had innovative tariffs before the EU decided everyone must have a
smart meter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2020 22:24, Michael Chare wrote:
On 17/12/2020 18:52, Tim+ wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

and unplanned power cuts.Â* Even in the planned power cuts you may get a
warning but they don't ask if you mind.

I do refuse to have a smart meter.Â* I would like to see those that have
them being charged more to cover the operating cost.

Im delighted to have a smart meter. Means that I can be on an innovative
tariff thats saving me a lot of money.

Tim

They would want to charge me more for cooking after 5pm!

Octopus would charge you more between 15:30 and 18:00 most days.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
On 17/12/2020 18:52, Tim+ wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

I heard on the radio this AM that the government will lose £30
Billion annually thanks to the switch to EV's that only pay 5% vat
and no fuel duty.
This *is* going to affect the cost of either charging EV's or via
road pricing at some point, and those 'smart' meters are the ideal
tool to collect more tax.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2020 12:06, Tim+ wrote:

Nothing lasts forever but why would they want to penalise the very
customers who are helping to stabilise the grid?

Because these customers are still only a minority.

If they become sufficiently popular then given time these tariffs could
become the only types available and then they're in a position to
penalise you as much as they like.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
On 17/12/2020 18:52, Tim+ wrote:

Im delighted to have a smart meter. Means that I can be on an
innovative tariff thats saving me a lot of money.

Tim

They would want to charge me more for cooking after 5pm!

Yep, I have that. The quid pro quo is that I get cheaper electricity the
rest of the day and at night (which is handy for EV charging). All
depends on your consumption pattern. Overall Im better off.

For now

Nothing lasts forever but why would they want to penalise the very
customers who are helping to stabilise the grid?

If too many people use off-peak electricity it won't be off-peak any more.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2020 18:52, Tim+ wrote:

Im delighted to have a smart meter. Means that I can be on an
innovative
tariff thats saving me a lot of money.

They would want to charge me more for cooking after 5pm!

Octopus would charge you more between 15:30 and 18:00 most days.

I don't see why my energy supplier should determine my cooking/eating
habits.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2020 18:52, Tim+ wrote:

I’m delighted to have a smart meter. Means that I can be on an
innovative
tariff that’s saving me a lot of money.

They would want to charge me more for cooking after 5pm!

Octopus would charge you more between 15:30 and 18:00 most days.

I don't see why my energy supplier should determine my cooking/eating
habits.

You would always pay full price to travel when you want as well then?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian wrote:
I don't see why my energy supplier should determine my cooking/eating
habits.

So splurge the extra 20p on having your dinner at the usual time.

(meanwhile saving more than 20p because energy is half price the other 21
hours of the day)

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
On 17/12/2020 18:52, Tim+ wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

planned and unplanned power cuts.Â* Even in the planned power cuts
you
may get a warning but they don't ask if you mind.

I do refuse to have a smart meter.Â* I would like to see those that
have them being charged more to cover the operating cost.

Im delighted to have a smart meter. Means that I can be on an
innovative tariff thats saving me a lot of money.

Tim

They would want to charge me more for cooking after 5pm!

Yep, I have that. The quid pro quo is that I get cheaper electricity
the
rest of the day and at night (which is handy for EV charging). All
depends on your consumption pattern.Â* Overall Im better off.

For now

Nothing lasts forever but why would they want to penalise the very
customers who are helping to stabilise the grid?

Tim
I heard on the radio this AM that the government will lose £30

Billion annually thanks to the switch to EV's that only pay 5% vat
and no fuel duty.
This *is* going to affect the cost of either charging EV's or via
road pricing at some point, and those 'smart' meters are the ideal
tool to collect more tax.

Hence the idea of road pricing.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2020 21:39, Theo wrote:
Max Demian wrote:
I don't see why my energy supplier should determine my cooking/eating
habits.

So splurge the extra 20p on having your dinner at the usual time.

(meanwhile saving more than 20p because energy is half price the other 21
hours of the day)

Theo

Although according to the Octopus website you cannot switch
straight onto this tariff. You need to switch to Octopus
first, make sure you have a Smets2 meter or a 'secure SMETS1'
meter (whatever that is) first and sign up for direct debits.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
On 17/12/2020 18:52, Tim+ wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

So far we seem to be spending less on our new tariff than our old fixed
rate one AND were getting all our fuel for motoring included (1,500 miles
per month).

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ŶAndrew wrote:

Michael Chare wrote:
On 17/12/2020 18:52, Tim+ wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

No theyre not. Smart meters know what time of day youre using power, not
what youre using it for. It would be political suicide to tax everyone
and drive many many people into fuel poverty by slamming taxes on
electricity.

Almost certainly in time well follow the New Zealand model of taxing
mileage.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2020 18:52, Tim+ wrote:

Im delighted to have a smart meter. Means that I can be on an
innovative
tariff thats saving me a lot of money.

They would want to charge me more for cooking after 5pm!

Octopus would charge you more between 15:30 and 18:00 most days.

I don't see why my energy supplier should determine my cooking/eating
habits.

Fine, and you pay for that privilege. Its your choice. I choose to be
flexible and save money on my EV charging.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo wrote:
Max Demian wrote:
I don't see why my energy supplier should determine my cooking/eating
habits.

So splurge the extra 20p on having your dinner at the usual time.

(meanwhile saving more than 20p because energy is half price the other 21
hours of the day)

Are you really so close to the breadline you set mealtimes by the cooking
costs?

If so, cook by gas?

--
*A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
On 17/12/2020 18:52, Tim+ wrote:

I‘m delighted to have a smart meter. Means that I can be on an
innovative
tariff that‘s saving me a lot of money.

They would want to charge me more for cooking after 5pm!

Octopus would charge you more between 15:30 and 18:00 most days.

I don't see why my energy supplier should determine my cooking/eating
habits.

Fine, and you pay for that privilege. It‘s your choice. I choose to be
flexible and save money on my EV charging.

Does that mean you can only use your car at certain times of the day?

--
*I didn't like my beard at first. Then it grew on me.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2020 13:46, Tim+ wrote:
ŶAndrew wrote:

Michael Chare wrote:
On 17/12/2020 18:52, Tim+ wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

Err, are you aware of ethernet extenders that plug into a mains
socket ?. The technology that they use can just as easily be
added to a smart meter, if it isn't there already, waiting for
software activation. Of course it can then receive data from
a connected device using the same protocol.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2020 14:46, Andrew wrote:
On 19/12/2020 13:46, Tim+ wrote:
ŶAndrew wrote:

Michael Chare wrote:
On 17/12/2020 18:52, Tim+ wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

No theyre not.Â* Smart meters know what time of day youre using
power, not
what youre using it for.Â* It would be political suicide to tax everyone
and drive many many people into fuel poverty by slamming taxes on
electricity.

Almost certainly in time well follow the New Zealand model of taxing
mileage.

Tim

Err, are you aware of ethernet extenders that plug into a mains
socket ?. The technology that they use can just as easily be
added to a smart meter, if it isn't there already, waiting for
software activation. Of course it can then receive data from
a connected device using the same protocol.

I have seen no provision for that in the specifications for smart
meters. And ISTM it would be trivial to evade any such surcharge unless
EVs refuse to take current unless and until they have a secure handshake
with a smart meter. That in turn is going to require international
cooperation to specify the software in cars - unless you envisage it
being impossible to take an EV out of the country for, say, 3 weeks in a
French gite.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
Although according to the Octopus website you cannot switch
straight onto this tariff. You need to switch to Octopus
first, make sure you have a Smets2 meter or a 'secure SMETS1'
meter (whatever that is) first and sign up for direct debits.

That's common across all suppliers. The supplier 'owns' your meter, so you
have to be their customer before they can schedule a replacement meter
installation. That's why they switch you to a temporary tariff until they
can install one. In most cases the rate is the same as the smart tariff
you'd end up on if it's a flat or E7 tariff, but in this case there's no way
to do the Agile tariff without a smart meter so you get put on something
else until your meter installation.

Theo