Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TOT 'Smart' meters

We live in a building divided in three, two of the properties being holiday lets. I finally gave in to the nagging and agreed to have smart meters installed for our property.

They didn't turn up on Monday for no reason and were rebooked for today. The engineer then said he coudln't install our meters because there is a shared neutral for the three properties.

A waste of time and a farce. Shan't be bothering to make another appointment.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2020 15:35, Jonathan wrote:
We live in a building divided in three, two of the properties being holiday lets. I finally gave in to the nagging and agreed to have smart meters installed for our property.

They didn't turn up on Monday for no reason and were rebooked for today. The engineer then said he coudln't install our meters because there is a shared neutral for the three properties.

A waste of time and a farce. Shan't be bothering to make another appointment.

Is this a case of the 3 properties having separate meters but only one
big cable coming in and one "head end" with a big fuse (see the photos
in the link below) which serves all 3? If so the engineer couldn't do
anything because it would have meant pulling the fuse and cutting off
power to all 3 properties*. Without the permission and presence of
their owner(s) that could have unknown and consequences.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Earthing_Types

*Such arrangements haven't been permitted for some years now because of
the way the properties are interdependent. Eg one person blows the main
fuse and all 3 suffer.
--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2020 16:44, Robin wrote:
On 17/12/2020 15:35, Jonathan wrote:
We live in a building divided in three, two of the properties being
holiday lets. I finally gave in to the nagging and agreed to have
smart meters installed for our property.

They didn't turn up on Monday for no reason and were rebooked for
today. The engineer then said he coudln't install our meters because
there is a shared neutral for the three properties.

A waste of time and a farce. Shan't be bothering to make another
appointment.

Is this a case of the 3 properties having separate meters but only one
big cable coming in and one "head end" with a big fuse (see the photos
in the link below) which serves all 3?Â* If so the engineer couldn't do
anything because it would have meant pulling the fuse and cutting off
power to all 3 properties*.Â* Without the permission and presence of
their owner(s) that could have unknown and consequences.

It is normal for electricity supplies to be cut off. There are planned
and unplanned power cuts. Even in the planned power cuts you may get a
warning but they don't ask if you mind.

I do refuse to have a smart meter. I would like to see those that have
them being charged more to cover the operating cost.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

Im delighted to have a smart meter. Means that I can be on an innovative
tariff thats saving me a lot of money.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2020 18:52, Tim+ wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

They would want to charge me more for cooking after 5pm!

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
On 17/12/2020 18:52, Tim+ wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

Yep, I have that. The quid pro quo is that I get cheaper electricity the
rest of the day and at night (which is handy for EV charging). All depends
on your consumption pattern. Overall Im better off.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2020 22:24, Michael Chare wrote:
On 17/12/2020 18:52, Tim+ wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

and unplanned power cuts.Â* Even in the planned power cuts you may get a
warning but they don't ask if you mind.

I do refuse to have a smart meter.Â* I would like to see those that have
them being charged more to cover the operating cost.

Im delighted to have a smart meter. Means that I can be on an innovative
tariff thats saving me a lot of money.

Tim

They would want to charge me more for cooking after 5pm!

Octopus would charge you more between 15:30 and 18:00 most days.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2020 18:52, Tim+ wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

Do the maths. Over the longer period you will end up paying far more
in standing charges than the cost of the 'smart' meter.
We had innovative tariffs before the EU decided everyone must have a
smart meter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
On 17/12/2020 18:52, Tim+ wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

So far we seem to be spending less on our new tariff than our old fixed
rate one AND were getting all our fuel for motoring included (1,500 miles
per month).

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It would be very handy to have one with the electronic reading and the
talking consumer device which they keep on mentioning, but never seem to be
able to supply.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Michael Chare" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, December 18, 2020 at 7:01:44 AM UTC, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yes but I got the impression that these were holiday lets and as such are
empty at the moment, or should be.
Brian

--

Yes they are. Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2020 15:35, Jonathan wrote:
We live in a building divided in three, two of the properties being holiday lets. I finally gave in to the nagging and agreed to have smart meters installed for our property.

They didn't turn up on Monday for no reason and were rebooked for today. The engineer then said he coudln't install our meters because there is a shared neutral for the three properties.

A waste of time and a farce. Shan't be bothering to make another appointment.

Jonathan

Well now you can inform the ****lords that they will have to dig
deep into their well-lined pockets and pay to have their properties
given its own separate supply. :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, December 17, 2020 at 6:08:53 PM UTC, Andrew wrote:
On 17/12/2020 15:35, Jonathan wrote:
We live in a building divided in three, two of the properties being holiday lets. I finally gave in to the nagging and agreed to have smart meters installed for our property.

They didn't turn up on Monday for no reason and were rebooked for today. The engineer then said he coudln't install our meters because there is a shared neutral for the three properties.

A waste of time and a farce. Shan't be bothering to make another appointment.

Jonathan

Well now you can inform the ****lords that they will have to dig
deep into their well-lined pockets and pay to have their properties
given its own separate supply. :-)

I am the landlord. The guy from the elctricity company didn't seem to upset by the arrangement and there are three fuses.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sorry, I don't really get it at all. Seems to me that the fix for this is
not that hard to achieve, but then again, he might only be insured for his
narrow bit of the job.

"Jonathan" wrote in message
We live in a building divided in three, two of the properties being
holiday lets. I finally gave in to the nagging and agreed to have smart
meters installed for our property.

They didn't turn up on Monday for no reason and were rebooked for today.
The engineer then said he coudln't install our meters because there is a
shared neutral for the three properties.

A waste of time and a farce. Shan't be bothering to make another
appointment.

Jonathan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, December 18, 2020 at 7:00:17 AM UTC, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Sorry, I don't really get it at all. Seems to me that the fix for this is
not that hard to achieve, but then again, he might only be insured for his
narrow bit of the job.
Brian

No his problem was that he hasn't had the 'training'