Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TOT 'Smart' meters

Yes but I got the impression that these were holiday lets and as such are
empty at the moment, or should be.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Robin" wrote in message
On 17/12/2020 15:35, Jonathan wrote:
We live in a building divided in three, two of the properties being
holiday lets. I finally gave in to the nagging and agreed to have smart
meters installed for our property.

They didn't turn up on Monday for no reason and were rebooked for today.
The engineer then said he coudln't install our meters because there is a
shared neutral for the three properties.

A waste of time and a farce. Shan't be bothering to make another
appointment.

Is this a case of the 3 properties having separate meters but only one big
cable coming in and one "head end" with a big fuse (see the photos in the
link below) which serves all 3? If so the engineer couldn't do anything
because it would have meant pulling the fuse and cutting off power to all
3 properties*. Without the permission and presence of their owner(s) that
could have unknown and consequences.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Earthing_Types

*Such arrangements haven't been permitted for some years now because of
the way the properties are interdependent. Eg one person blows the main
fuse and all 3 suffer.
--
Robin