Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default TOT 'Smart' meters

On 19/12/2020 13:46, Tim+ wrote:
ŶAndrew wrote:
On 18/12/2020 12:06, Tim+ wrote:
Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 23:13:31 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

Michael Chare wrote:
On 17/12/2020 18:52, Tim+ wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:
On 17/12/2020 16:44, Robin wrote:
On 17/12/2020 15:35, Jonathan wrote:
We live in a building divided in three, two of the properties being
holiday lets. I finally gave in to the nagging and agreed to have
smart meters installed for our property.

They didn't turn up on Monday for no reason and were rebooked for
today. The engineer then said he coudln't install our meters
because there is a shared neutral for the three properties.

A waste of time and a farce. Shan't be bothering to make another
appointment.

Is this a case of the 3 properties having separate meters but only
one big cable coming in and one "head end" with a big fuse (see the
photos in the link below) which serves all 3?Â* If so the engineer
couldn't do anything because it would have meant pulling the fuse
and cutting off power to all 3 properties*.Â* Without the permission
and presence of their owner(s) that could have unknown and
consequences.

It is normal for electricity supplies to be cut off. There are
planned and unplanned power cuts. Even in the planned power cuts you
may get a warning but they don't ask if you mind.

I do refuse to have a smart meter. I would like to see those that
have them being charged more to cover the operating cost.

Im delighted to have a smart meter. Means that I can be on an
innovative tariff thats saving me a lot of money.

Tim

They would want to charge me more for cooking after 5pm!

Yep, I have that. The quid pro quo is that I get cheaper electricity the
rest of the day and at night (which is handy for EV charging). All
depends on your consumption pattern. Overall Im better off.

For now

Nothing lasts forever but why would they want to penalise the very
customers who are helping to stabilise the grid?

Tim

I heard on the radio this AM that the government will lose £30
Billion annually thanks to the switch to EV's that only pay 5% vat
and no fuel duty.
This *is* going to affect the cost of either charging EV's or via
road pricing at some point, and those 'smart' meters are the ideal
tool to collect more tax.

No theyre not. Smart meters know what time of day youre using power, not
what youre using it for. It would be political suicide to tax everyone
and drive many many people into fuel poverty by slamming taxes on
electricity.

Almost certainly in time well follow the New Zealand model of taxing
mileage.

Tim

Err, are you aware of ethernet extenders that plug into a mains
socket ?. The technology that they use can just as easily be
added to a smart meter, if it isn't there already, waiting for
software activation. Of course it can then receive data from
a connected device using the same protocol.