Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default D-I-Y Marmalade

Has anyone here got the low-down on the availability
of Seville Oranges ?

(These are the bitter ones as were featured in that
episode of Dad's Army)

Sainsburys, Morrisons and Lidl here in Chippenham
deny all knowledge.

"Her Indoors" is pressurising me to find some!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
gareth evans wrote:
Has anyone here got the low-down on the availability
of Seville Oranges ?

(These are the bitter ones as were featured in that
episode of Dad's Army)

Sainsburys, Morrisons and Lidl here in Chippenham
deny all knowledge.

"Her Indoors" is pressurising me to find some!

Try asking for "Marmalade Oranges".

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

gareth evans wrote:
Has anyone here got the low-down on the availability
of Seville Oranges ?

(These are the bitter ones as were featured in that
episode of Dad's Army)

Sainsburys, Morrisons and Lidl here in Chippenham
deny all knowledge.

They aren't available until January/February, usually towards the end
of January for a couple of weeks. Usually Sainsburys, Tesco, etc. do
have them but often the staff don't seem to know.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2020 16:43, gareth evans wrote:
Has anyone here got the low-down on the availability
of Seville Oranges ?

(These are the bitter ones as were featured in that
episode of Dad's Army)

Sainsburys, Morrisons and Lidl here in Chippenham
deny all knowledge.

"Her Indoors" is pressurising me to find some!

A bit early for them: if memory serves not usually in stores until New Year.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
On 04/12/2020 16:43, gareth evans wrote:
Has anyone here got the low-down on the availability
of Seville Oranges ?

(These are the bitter ones as were featured in that
episode of Dad's Army)

Sainsburys, Morrisons and Lidl here in Chippenham
deny all knowledge.

"Her Indoors" is pressurising me to find some!

A bit early for them: if memory serves not usually in stores until New
Year.

They used to be around in "Bob a Job" week. My mother had the scouts
cutting up oranges

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2020 17:44, Chris Hogg wrote:
On 4 Dec 2020 17:20:40 GMT, Tim Streater
wrote:

On 04 Dec 2020 at 16:43:49 GMT, gareth evans wrote:

Has anyone here got the low-down on the availability
of Seville Oranges ?

(These are the bitter ones as were featured in that
episode of Dad's Army)

Sainsburys, Morrisons and Lidl here in Chippenham
deny all knowledge.

"Her Indoors" is pressurising me to find some!

SWMBO does it here and gets about a dozen of them. Add in a few lemons and
that makes about 14 450gm jars.

Complete ignorance here, but can't you make marmalade from a mixture
of citrus fruits, lemon-lime-orange, or grapefruit-lemon-orange, for
example? Unless you like only-orange marmalade, of course.

Of course. Its a partly caramelised jam that includes peel.

--
Climate is what you expect but weather is what you get.
Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 04/12/2020 16:43, gareth evans wrote:
Has anyone here got the low-down on the availability
of Seville Oranges ?

I stayed on a fruit farm in Southern Spain. It simply wasn't worth their
while to pick the oranges and send them to market.

Mind you, they made money as a veggy guest house, so they didn't need
to sully their hands picking fruit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 04 Dec 2020 at 16:43:49 GMT, gareth evans wrote:

Has anyone here got the low-down on the availability
of Seville Oranges ?

(These are the bitter ones as were featured in that
episode of Dad's Army)

Sainsburys, Morrisons and Lidl here in Chippenham
deny all knowledge.

"Her Indoors" is pressurising me to find some!

SWMBO does it here and gets about a dozen of them. Add in a few lemons and
that makes about 14 450gm jars.

Complete ignorance here, but can't you make marmalade from a mixture
of citrus fruits, lemon-lime-orange, or grapefruit-lemon-orange, for
example? Unless you like only-orange marmalade, of course.

Of course. Its a partly caramelised jam that includes peel.

I have recently got into making lime marmalade. I never have liked cooked orange, so this is my alternative. The commercial lime marmalade (here's looking at you, Roses) is so thin and watery it isn't worth buying. Mine is so simple, and I can use what might technically be too little sugar for long term preserving. Turns out very intense, and still has sharpness.

My tip : Use a pressure cooker (preferably one of the new-fangled electric ones for ease), put a little water in the bottom, put halved fruit on a trivet, cook for maybe half an hour on high pressure. Let cool completely. The peel is then so easy to slice. Seeds easy to remove. Then boil up, add a touch of bicarb if you wish, sugar and boil to setting point.

Seville oranges are only harvested once a year and, from memory, it is too early. Don't we get them after Christmas? Followed by blood oranges at end of January through February.

Frozen Seville oranges and tinned pulp are available.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Now that is a bloody good idea. I love limes and all sorts of marmalade,
I'm very keen on my little electric pressure cooker, but I never thought
of that use.

Do you have a target temperature for setting point, or do you do it the
old fashioned way with a plate?

(I have more thermometers in my kitchen than anyone else I know; a non
contact, a digital with various probes, thermocouples in both ovens
going to an external two channel display, and a thermocouple going to a
proper industrial temperature controller that I use in an old-fashioned
slow cooker for sous vide).
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 04/12/2020 16:43, gareth evans wrote:
Has anyone here got the low-down on the availability
of Seville Oranges ?

(These are the bitter ones as were featured in that
episode of Dad's Army)

Sainsburys, Morrisons and Lidl here in Chippenham
deny all knowledge.

"Her Indoors" is pressurising me to find some!

Apparently, this stuff works 'just as well'.
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/254850756

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I too have a probe thermometer but I haven't used it for my marmalade! I just look, stir, and when it gets to what I think is a gelling stage, bottle it. Small batches, and only for me, mean it isn't that much of an issue if it doesn't set as well as possible. But it always sets adequately.

I find it best to do the boiling with sugar in a normal pan/jam pan. While that is heating up, I sterilise some jars in the electric pressure cooker.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 12:13:25 -0800 (PST), polygonum_on_google
wrote:

snip

The commercial lime marmalade (here's looking at you, Roses) is so thin and watery it isn't worth buying.

Sfunny, I'm partial to lime marmalade (and typically got Roses) and
have a half used jar atm and I can't say it's watery?

Take some out with a knife to spread on yer toast and the rest just
stays there where you cut it?

(Now I've got to use those last two small bits of homemade wholegrain
toasted with lime marmalade on!). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2020 20:34, GB wrote:
On 04/12/2020 16:43, gareth evans wrote:
Has anyone here got the low-down on the availability
of Seville Oranges ?

(These are the bitter ones as were featured in that
episode of Dad's Army)

Sainsburys, Morrisons and Lidl here in Chippenham
deny all knowledge.

"Her Indoors" is pressurising me to find some!

Apparently, this stuff works 'just as well'.
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/254850756

Yes. Ma Made. Which my Ma Made when she was alive. I don't know the
economics - might be considered cheating.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Dec 2020 at 22:37:04 GMT, "T i m" wrote:

On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 12:13:25 -0800 (PST), polygonum_on_google
wrote:

snip

The commercial lime marmalade (here's looking at you, Roses) is so thin and
watery it isn't worth buying.

Sfunny, I'm partial to lime marmalade (and typically got Roses) and
have a half used jar atm and I can't say it's watery?

Take some out with a knife to spread on yer toast and the rest just
stays there where you cut it?

(Now I've got to use those last two small bits of homemade wholegrain
toasted with lime marmalade on!). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

It is the taste rather than the consistency that is watery. Perhaps a figure
of speech?
--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Dec 2020 at 20:34:50 GMT, "GB" wrote:

On 04/12/2020 16:43, gareth evans wrote:
Has anyone here got the low-down on the availability
of Seville Oranges ?

(These are the bitter ones as were featured in that
episode of Dad's Army)

Sainsburys, Morrisons and Lidl here in Chippenham
deny all knowledge.

"Her Indoors" is pressurising me to find some!

Apparently, this stuff works 'just as well'.
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/254850756

Thin cut - seriously?

:-)

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes indeed, the old knowledge was lost. My old grannie used to get them from
a local greengrocer baack in the 1960s. Shop Marmalade is not a patch on
home made, too much sugar and less taste. It was and probably still is hard
to get blood oranges as well as I used to like the juice from those.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Chris Green" wrote in message
gareth evans wrote:
Has anyone here got the low-down on the availability
of Seville Oranges ?

(These are the bitter ones as were featured in that
episode of Dad's Army)

Sainsburys, Morrisons and Lidl here in Chippenham
deny all knowledge.

They aren't available until January/February, usually towards the end
of January for a couple of weeks. Usually Sainsburys, Tesco, etc. do
have them but often the staff don't seem to know.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
wrote:
Yes indeed, the old knowledge was lost. My old grannie used to get them
from a local greengrocer baack in the 1960s. Shop Marmalade is not a
patch on home made, too much sugar and less taste. It was and probably
still is hard to get blood oranges as well as I used to like the juice
from those. Brian

with a great deal of experiment we've found Wilkins' "Tawny Orange" to be
the best tasting shop one.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

For several years now Tarocco blood oranges have been readily available
in season from Marks and Spencer and (labelled "blush oranges")
Waitrose. I've also seen them (and more often the sanguinelli and moro
varieties) in ASDA, Tesco (as "Jaffa Reds") and other stores.

On 05/12/2020 08:36, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yes indeed, the old knowledge was lost. My old grannie used to get them from
a local greengrocer baack in the 1960s. Shop Marmalade is not a patch on
home made, too much sugar and less taste. It was and probably still is hard
to get blood oranges as well as I used to like the juice from those.
Brian

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2020 07:44, RJH wrote:
On 4 Dec 2020 at 20:34:50 GMT, "GB" wrote:

On 04/12/2020 16:43, gareth evans wrote:
Has anyone here got the low-down on the availability
of Seville Oranges ?

(These are the bitter ones as were featured in that
episode of Dad's Army)

Sainsburys, Morrisons and Lidl here in Chippenham
deny all knowledge.

"Her Indoors" is pressurising me to find some!

Apparently, this stuff works 'just as well'.
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/254850756

Thin cut - seriously?

:-)

You're braver than me: I feared any comment on those lines would risk me
facing a call from the police to "check my thinking" and a record of a
non-crime hate incident

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 4 December 2020 at 23:29:14 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 4 Dec 2020 at 22:37:04 GMT, "T i m" wrote:

On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 12:13:25 -0800 (PST), polygonum_on_google
wrote:

snip

The commercial lime marmalade (here's looking at you, Roses) is so thin and
watery it isn't worth buying.

Sfunny, I'm partial to lime marmalade (and typically got Roses) and
have a half used jar atm and I can't say it's watery?

Take some out with a knife to spread on yer toast and the rest just
stays there where you cut it?

(Now I've got to use those last two small bits of homemade wholegrain
toasted with lime marmalade on!). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

It is the taste rather than the consistency that is watery. Perhaps a figure
of speech?

Correct - it is very pale colour and low intensity of flavour - though the gelling is fine.

Description

Rose's Lime pure fruit marmalade is made only ever with citrus fruit. The Lime marmalade makes the perfect accompaniment for hot buttery toast, a zesty and refreshing way to start the day.

Once opened keep refrigerated for up to 6 weeks.

Suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
Ingredients

Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Water, Sugar, Lime Peel, Concentrated Lime Juice, Gelling Agent: Pectin, Acid: Citric Acid, Acidity Regulator: Sodium Citrates, Lime Oil, Colour: Chlorophyll Extract

Prepared with 22g of Fruit per 100g
Total Sugar content 66g per 100g

My lime marmalade has around 60% fruit, 25% sugar and 14% water. (Very approximate - I didn't take any care over weighing ingredients.) And sets without additional pectin. Colour only from the limes themselves - no added chlorophyll - and is darker than Roses. No need for added citric acid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 5 December 2020 at 09:41:08 UTC, Robin wrote:
For several years now Tarocco blood oranges have been readily available
in season from Marks and Spencer and (labelled "blush oranges")
Waitrose. I've also seen them (and more often the sanguinelli and moro
varieties) in ASDA, Tesco (as "Jaffa Reds") and other stores.
On 05/12/2020 08:36, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yes indeed, the old knowledge was lost. My old grannie used to get them from
a local greengrocer baack in the 1960s. Shop Marmalade is not a patch on
home made, too much sugar and less taste. It was and probably still is hard
to get blood oranges as well as I used to like the juice from those.
Brian

I've found Lidl to be the best for blood oranges. Certainly when you take into account price!

Absolutely love them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Dec 2020 23:29:10 GMT, Roger Hayter wrote:

On 4 Dec 2020 at 22:37:04 GMT, "T i m" wrote:

On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 12:13:25 -0800 (PST), polygonum_on_google
wrote:

snip

The commercial lime marmalade (here's looking at you, Roses) is so thin and
watery it isn't worth buying.

Sfunny, I'm partial to lime marmalade (and typically got Roses) and
have a half used jar atm and I can't say it's watery?

Take some out with a knife to spread on yer toast and the rest just
stays there where you cut it?

(Now I've got to use those last two small bits of homemade wholegrain
toasted with lime marmalade on!). ;-)

It is the taste rather than the consistency that is watery. Perhaps a figure
of speech?

Maybe but is 'thin' (as in 'thin and watery') a taste thing as well?

The two slices of wholegrain (quite strong tasting in itself) I had
last night with Roses lime marmalade on were pretty tasty to so maybe
it's just a 'taste' thing? I also prefer my cordial to be lime so lime
is a personal taste favourite.

As I mentioned, the slices I'd previously cut out of the marmalade jar
we have here (gotta be at least a week ago) were still holding their
shape so I'd say from a consistency POV, it's quite 'jelly'.

I've not tried home made lime marmalade to know if lime marmalade
could be stronger taste wise so if I might prefer it if it was. It's
one of those things where I've never thought, 'I wish this was
stronger tasting'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 16:43:49 +0000, gareth evans wrote:

Has anyone here got the low-down on the availability
of Seville Oranges ?

As these always unavailable here as fruit, juice, pulp, neither fresh nor
bottled nor frozen: equal parts of grapefruit juice, lime juice and orange juice
are a not-quite satisfactory substitute for bitter orange juice...

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2020 16:43, gareth evans wrote:
Has anyone here got the low-down on the availability
of Seville Oranges ?

(These are the bitter ones as were featured in that
episode of Dad's Army)

Sainsburys, Morrisons and Lidl here in Chippenham
deny all knowledge.

"Her Indoors" is pressurising me to find some!

A shop keeper in Paisley bought a load of these oranges and invented
Marmalade you know
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2020 11:45, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 04/12/2020 16:43, gareth evans wrote:
Has anyone here got the low-down on the availability
of Seville Oranges ?

(These are the bitter ones as were featured in that
episode of Dad's Army)

Sainsburys, Morrisons and Lidl here in Chippenham
deny all knowledge.

"Her Indoors" is pressurising me to find some!

A shop keeper in Paisley bought a load of these oranges and invented
Marmalade you know

.... and I thought that it was the chickens, who, when the mother
hen laid an orange instead of an egg, they all exclaimed ...

Look at this orange Momma laid!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2020 11:55, gareth evans wrote:
On 05/12/2020 11:45, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 04/12/2020 16:43, gareth evans wrote:
Has anyone here got the low-down on the availability
of Seville Oranges ?

(These are the bitter ones as were featured in that
episode of Dad's Army)

Sainsburys, Morrisons and Lidl here in Chippenham
deny all knowledge.

"Her Indoors" is pressurising me to find some!

A shop keeper in Paisley bought a load of these oranges and invented
Marmalade you know

... and I thought that it was the chickens, who, when the mother
hen laid an orange instead of an egg, they all exclaimedÂ* ...

Look at this orange Momma laid!

oh dear
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 05/12/2020 09:30, charles wrote:
In article , Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
wrote:
Yes indeed, the old knowledge was lost. My old grannie used to get them
from a local greengrocer baack in the 1960s. Shop Marmalade is not a
patch on home made, too much sugar and less taste. It was and probably
still is hard to get blood oranges as well as I used to like the juice
from those. Brian

with a great deal of experiment we've found Wilkins' "Tawny Orange" to be
the best tasting shop one.

Have you tried this one?
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/produc...-135872-135873

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 05 Dec 2020 10:57:51 +0000, T i m wrote:

On 4 Dec 2020 23:29:10 GMT, Roger Hayter wrote:

On 4 Dec 2020 at 22:37:04 GMT, "T i m" wrote:

On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 12:13:25 -0800 (PST), polygonum_on_google
wrote:

snip

[...]

I have made lime marmalade and I certainly prefer my version over the
Roses (or is that just confirmation bias at play?) The only tip I
would offer to regular makers of orange marmalade is that you need to
pre-boil the lime fruit for longer: limes seem to have tougher peel
than the other citrus fruit I have used.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
On 04/12/2020 20:34, GB wrote:
On 04/12/2020 16:43, gareth evans wrote:
Has anyone here got the low-down on the availability
of Seville Oranges ?

(These are the bitter ones as were featured in that
episode of Dad's Army)

Sainsburys, Morrisons and Lidl here in Chippenham
deny all knowledge.

"Her Indoors" is pressurising me to find some!

Apparently, this stuff works 'just as well'.
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/254850756

Yes. Ma Made. Which my Ma Made when she was alive. I don't know the
economics - might be considered cheating.

Yes - my mum was a great jam maker. As kids we went berry picking on the
highways and byways. Bramble jelly was one of her specialities.

And remember when she changed from using fresh seville oranges to a tinned
concentrate or whatever for marmalade. Can't say anyone noticed the
difference.

Other thing she 'cheated' with was ready made puff pastry.

Oh - it reminds me of one of her sayings.

Guests present.

"Would you like my home made strawberry or raspberry jam with my home made
scones?"

"Strawberry, please."

"And what's wrong with the respberry?"

--
*i souport publik edekashun.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Saturday, 5 December 2020 at 09:41:08 UTC, Robin wrote:
For several years now Tarocco blood oranges have been readily
available in season from Marks and Spencer and (labelled "blush
oranges") Waitrose. I've also seen them (and more often the
sanguinelli and moro varieties) in ASDA, Tesco (as "Jaffa Reds") and
other stores. On 05/12/2020 08:36, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yes indeed, the old knowledge was lost. My old grannie used to get
them from a local greengrocer baack in the 1960s. Shop Marmalade is
not a patch on home made, too much sugar and less taste. It was and
probably still is hard to get blood oranges as well as I used to
like the juice from those. Brian

I've found Lidl to be the best for blood oranges. Certainly when you
take into account price!

Absolutely love them.

I also like Lidl thick cut marmalade. Not any of their other preserves,
though.

--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Hadn't thought of sterilising jars that way, but I was going to do sugar
in a normal pan. My current electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot) is a
bit more fierce than a previous Cosori that died, there is slightly more
risk of burning or sticking. Also, the Instant Pot will only run with
the lid on and engaged, you could do open cooking in the Cosori. I find
both are excellent for saute-ing onions although the internal pressure
in the new one can cause the lid to remain engaged for a minute or two
even with the relief valve notionally open.

I generally find the electric pressure cookers excellent, the only thing
I miss compared to a traditional one is the inability to put it under a
tap in the sink for rapid pressure loss. Although when I tried the
Instant Pot in slow cooker mode the other day I still had hard swede and
carrots after three hours, so had to give them a quick burst of pressure
cooking. I'll give them much longer next time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 5 December 2020 at 15:23:12 UTC, newshound wrote:

[...]

I had been thinking about an InstantPot or whatever for a long time and eventually went for a cheapie.

In terms of sautee and pressure cooking it works very well.

Fully understand what you mean about rapid pressure loss but I try to factor that in.

I probably use it for soup more than anything else. Gammon hock, lentil, onion, carrot.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 05 Dec 2020 15:03:21 +0000, Nick Odell
wrote:

snip

I've not tried home made lime marmalade to know if lime marmalade
could be stronger taste wise so if I might prefer it if it was. It's
one of those things where I've never thought, 'I wish this was
stronger tasting'. ;-)

I have made lime marmalade and I certainly prefer my version over the
Roses (or is that just confirmation bias at play?)

;-)

The only tip I
would offer to regular makers of orange marmalade is that you need to
pre-boil the lime fruit for longer: limes seem to have tougher peel
than the other citrus fruit I have used.

Whilst I don't mind knocking up some bread on-demand (by hand but
using a Wrights kit), I'm not sure making jam or marmalade is my
thing. We do however have a friend who seems happy to make all sorts
of stuff like that and gives us some in return for a batch of suitable
jars.

I might ask her if she can / could make some lime marmalade and I can
give it a taste. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 5 December 2020 at 18:38:49 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 05 Dec 2020 15:03:21 +0000, Nick Odell
wrote:

snip
[...]

I struggle to understand why anyone would use a kit for bread!

I buy high quality wholemeal flour, dob in a bit of salt, pour some olive oil in, mix fresh yeast and water (cold), pour in water/yeast mixture. Leave 10 to 20 minutes. Knead. Either cover and leave for however long, or put in refrigerator overnight. Knock down, shape, put tins. Allow to rise.

Cook.

In my view, the flour contributes about 90% of the flavour. What I am now buying makes bread that is far, far nicer than any I have previously made - or even found in a bakers. The smell. The taste. The texture. All outstanding and that is near enough zero credit to me.

Instead of a kit, use the money on the best quality flour. Don't pay for yeast, get it from Tesco.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
[...]

Aldi thick cut is pretty good too. Thick and chunky.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 5 Dec 2020 11:55:01 -0800 (PST), polygonum_on_google
wrote:

snip

I struggle to understand why anyone would use a kit for bread!

Let's see if I can help you stop struggling. ;-)

I buy high quality wholemeal flour, dob in a bit of salt, pour some olive oil in, mix fresh yeast and water (cold), pour in water/yeast mixture. Leave 10 to 20 minutes. Knead. Either cover and leave for however long, or put in refrigerator overnight. Knock down, shape, put tins.

Well, from my POV that would be at least good 5 reasons I prefer the
kits I'm given ... ;-)

Allow to rise.

Yup.

Cook.

Check.

In my view, the flour contributes about 90% of the flavour.

Yeah. Mate has given us several of their different offerings and we
prefer the straight whole grain version.

What I am now buying makes bread that is far, far nicer than any I have previously made - or even found in a bakers. The smell. The taste. The texture.

We prefer this whole grain for the same reasons but don't mind a small
commercial wholemeal loaf in between for a change. Not quite so
'filling'.

All outstanding and that is near enough zero credit to me.

Well, without your efforts there would be no bread. ;-)

Instead of a kit, use the money on the best quality flour.

Sorry, use the what ... ? ;-)

Don't pay for yeast, get it from Tesco.

Ok, I won't, (to either). ;-)

If I wanted all the faffy bit I could probably get as much good
quality flour as I wanted (for the same price) but if it was any more
involved / effort than what I do now, I wouldn't bother.

The instructions say:

Tip flour into a bowl, add 300ml of warm water and mix for 5 mins.

(I just mix till there is no dry flour left).

They say then leave for 5 mins, kneed for 5 mins, leave for 5 mins,
then form into shape for tin, cover and place in warm place to prove
for ~30 mins, bake for 30 mins.

I mix, kneed for a bit, shape and put in tin, prove, bake. I've tried
it all sorts of ways (inc kneeding for 20 mins) and it makes no
difference whatsoever. ;-)

While the jug and bowl were out and dirty, the oven warming and the
bread proving, I made and baked a tray of 'fruit and cinnamon'
flavoured rock cakes. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2020 20:42, Owain Lastname wrote:
On Saturday, 5 December 2020 at 15:23:12 UTC, newshound wrote:
I still had hard swede and carrots after three hours,

Crikey. I did swede and carrot in the microwave in 12 minutes this evening.

Owain

I need to check what the "slow cook" temperature of the Instant Pot is.
Hopefully is is above the danger level of 60 degrees!

I do "sous vide" cook beef and lamb at 60C, but the steak gets seared
afterwards and the juices are cooked up properly into a gravy to make
sure they are safe.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2020 12:34, newshound wrote:
On 05/12/2020 20:42, Owain Lastname wrote:
On Saturday, 5 December 2020 at 15:23:12 UTC, newshound wrote:
I still had hard swede and carrots after three hours,

Crikey. I did swede and carrot in the microwave in 12 minutes this
evening.

Owain

I need to check what the "slow cook" temperature of the Instant Pot is.
Hopefully is is above the danger level of 60 degrees!

I do "sous vide" cook beef and lamb at 60C, but the steak gets seared
afterwards and the juices are cooked up properly into a gravy to make
sure they are safe.

60c is the limit for most bacteria. I believe that's how hot your water
needs to be in the tank to ensure sterility

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"