Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum_on_google[_2_] polygonum_on_google[_2_] is offline

Default D-I-Y Marmalade

On Friday, 4 December 2020 at 18:31:14 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 04/12/2020 17:44, Chris Hogg wrote:
On 4 Dec 2020 17:20:40 GMT, Tim Streater
wrote:

On 04 Dec 2020 at 16:43:49 GMT, gareth evans wrote:

Has anyone here got the low-down on the availability
of Seville Oranges ?

(These are the bitter ones as were featured in that
episode of Dad's Army)

Sainsburys, Morrisons and Lidl here in Chippenham
deny all knowledge.

"Her Indoors" is pressurising me to find some!

SWMBO does it here and gets about a dozen of them. Add in a few lemons and
that makes about 14 450gm jars.

Complete ignorance here, but can't you make marmalade from a mixture
of citrus fruits, lemon-lime-orange, or grapefruit-lemon-orange, for
example? Unless you like only-orange marmalade, of course.

Of course. Its a partly caramelised jam that includes peel.

I have recently got into making lime marmalade. I never have liked cooked orange, so this is my alternative. The commercial lime marmalade (here's looking at you, Roses) is so thin and watery it isn't worth buying. Mine is so simple, and I can use what might technically be too little sugar for long term preserving. Turns out very intense, and still has sharpness.

My tip : Use a pressure cooker (preferably one of the new-fangled electric ones for ease), put a little water in the bottom, put halved fruit on a trivet, cook for maybe half an hour on high pressure. Let cool completely. The peel is then so easy to slice. Seeds easy to remove. Then boil up, add a touch of bicarb if you wish, sugar and boil to setting point.

Seville oranges are only harvested once a year and, from memory, it is too early. Don't we get them after Christmas? Followed by blood oranges at end of January through February.

Frozen Seville oranges and tinned pulp are available.