Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum_on_google[_2_] polygonum_on_google[_2_] is offline

Default D-I-Y Marmalade

On Friday, 4 December 2020 at 20:34:41 UTC, newshound wrote:
On 04/12/2020 20:13, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Friday, 4 December 2020 at 18:31:14 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 04/12/2020 17:44, Chris Hogg wrote:
On 4 Dec 2020 17:20:40 GMT, Tim Streater
wrote:

On 04 Dec 2020 at 16:43:49 GMT, gareth evans wrote:

Has anyone here got the low-down on the availability
of Seville Oranges ?

(These are the bitter ones as were featured in that
episode of Dad's Army)

Sainsburys, Morrisons and Lidl here in Chippenham
deny all knowledge.

"Her Indoors" is pressurising me to find some!

SWMBO does it here and gets about a dozen of them. Add in a few lemons and
that makes about 14 450gm jars.

Complete ignorance here, but can't you make marmalade from a mixture
of citrus fruits, lemon-lime-orange, or grapefruit-lemon-orange, for
example? Unless you like only-orange marmalade, of course.

Of course. Its a partly caramelised jam that includes peel.

I have recently got into making lime marmalade. I never have liked cooked orange, so this is my alternative. The commercial lime marmalade (here's looking at you, Roses) is so thin and watery it isn't worth buying. Mine is so simple, and I can use what might technically be too little sugar for long term preserving. Turns out very intense, and still has sharpness.

My tip : Use a pressure cooker (preferably one of the new-fangled electric ones for ease), put a little water in the bottom, put halved fruit on a trivet, cook for maybe half an hour on high pressure. Let cool completely. The peel is then so easy to slice. Seeds easy to remove. Then boil up, add a touch of bicarb if you wish, sugar and boil to setting point.

Now that is a bloody good idea. I love limes and all sorts of marmalade,
I'm very keen on my little electric pressure cooker, but I never thought
of that use.

Do you have a target temperature for setting point, or do you do it the
old fashioned way with a plate?

(I have more thermometers in my kitchen than anyone else I know; a non
contact, a digital with various probes, thermocouples in both ovens
going to an external two channel display, and a thermocouple going to a
proper industrial temperature controller that I use in an old-fashioned
slow cooker for sous vide).

I too have a probe thermometer but I haven't used it for my marmalade! I just look, stir, and when it gets to what I think is a gelling stage, bottle it. Small batches, and only for me, mean it isn't that much of an issue if it doesn't set as well as possible. But it always sets adequately.

I find it best to do the boiling with sugar in a normal pan/jam pan. While that is heating up, I sterilise some jars in the electric pressure cooker.