Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Odell[_2_] Nick Odell[_2_] is offline

Default D-I-Y Marmalade

On Sat, 05 Dec 2020 10:57:51 +0000, T i m wrote:

On 4 Dec 2020 23:29:10 GMT, Roger Hayter wrote:

On 4 Dec 2020 at 22:37:04 GMT, "T i m" wrote:

On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 12:13:25 -0800 (PST), polygonum_on_google
wrote:

snip

The commercial lime marmalade (here's looking at you, Roses) is so thin and
watery it isn't worth buying.

Sfunny, I'm partial to lime marmalade (and typically got Roses) and
have a half used jar atm and I can't say it's watery?

Take some out with a knife to spread on yer toast and the rest just
stays there where you cut it?

(Now I've got to use those last two small bits of homemade wholegrain
toasted with lime marmalade on!). ;-)

It is the taste rather than the consistency that is watery. Perhaps a figure
of speech?

Maybe but is 'thin' (as in 'thin and watery') a taste thing as well?

The two slices of wholegrain (quite strong tasting in itself) I had
last night with Roses lime marmalade on were pretty tasty to so maybe
it's just a 'taste' thing? I also prefer my cordial to be lime so lime
is a personal taste favourite.

As I mentioned, the slices I'd previously cut out of the marmalade jar
we have here (gotta be at least a week ago) were still holding their
shape so I'd say from a consistency POV, it's quite 'jelly'.

I've not tried home made lime marmalade to know if lime marmalade
could be stronger taste wise so if I might prefer it if it was. It's
one of those things where I've never thought, 'I wish this was
stronger tasting'. ;-)

I have made lime marmalade and I certainly prefer my version over the
Roses (or is that just confirmation bias at play?) The only tip I
would offer to regular makers of orange marmalade is that you need to
pre-boil the lime fruit for longer: limes seem to have tougher peel
than the other citrus fruit I have used.

Nick