Butter or marge please

Default [O/T] POLL: Marmalade on toast with or without butter?

What's going on? :-)

So many of the people I meet these days in the UK put marmalade on
their toast with no butter.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned or something because I put butter (margarine
actually) on toast as well as marmalade.

Now you might think I am wacko to ask about this but ....

.... do you put butter/marge with your marmalade on toast?

Johannes

Butter or marge please wrote:

What's going on? :-)

[O/T] & crossposting, what a splendid combination ;-(
AstraVanMan

Butter or marge please wrote:

What's going on? :-)

[O/T] & crossposting, what a splendid combination ;-(

Covers all bases then!

Btw, my answer would be "with butter". Definitely. Too dry without.

Peter

GB

"Butter or marge please" wrote in message
news:1120473398.e35535e665add606de6066f4aec5e769@t eranews...
What's going on? :-)

So many of the people I meet these days in the UK put marmalade on
their toast with no butter.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned or something because I put butter (margarine
actually) on toast as well as marmalade.

Now you might think I am wacko to ask about this but ....

I'll vote for wacko

(Good grief, I replied! Must be jacko too.)

Mary Fisher

"Butter or marge please" wrote in message
news:1120473398.e35535e665add606de6066f4aec5e769@t eranews...
What's going on? :-)

So many of the people I meet these days in the UK put marmalade on
their toast with no butter.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned or something because I put butter (margarine
actually) on toast as well as marmalade.

Now you might think I am wacko to ask about this but ....

... do you put butter/marge with your marmalade on toast?

I wouldn't use a butter substitute for ANYTHING!

The best bread (I make it) deserves the best butter (Welsh, 3% salt) and the
best marmalade (I make it).

I suspect that people who don't separate their bread and marmalade are
health or weight conscious.

Mary

Andy

... do you put butter/marge with your marmalade on toast?

Always with butter. I imagine it would be too dry without.

I even put butter on when having peanut butter.

Nik

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Butter or marge please" wrote in message
news:1120473398.e35535e665add606de6066f4aec5e769@t eranews...
What's going on? :-)

So many of the people I meet these days in the UK put marmalade on
their toast with no butter.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned or something because I put butter (margarine
actually) on toast as well as marmalade.

Now you might think I am wacko to ask about this but ....

... do you put butter/marge with your marmalade on toast?

I wouldn't use a butter substitute for ANYTHING!

The best bread (I make it) deserves the best butter (Welsh, 3% salt) and
the best marmalade (I make it).

I suspect that people who don't separate their bread and marmalade are
health or weight conscious.

I'm reasonably health and weight conscious and I'm with you - I wouldn't use
a butter substitute for anything. All my baking and spreading requirements
are fulfilled using butter - I wouldn't dream of buying marge - full of all
those nasty additives!

Nik - I still haven't managed to get this breadmaking stuff right ........

AstraVanMan

I suspect that people who don't separate their bread and marmalade are
health or weight conscious.

I'm guessing you meant "butter" in that sentence. Try as I might, I just
can't imagine a roast beef + horseradish sandwich tasting that nice with
marmalade.

Peter

Mary Fisher

"Andy" wrote in message
... do you put butter/marge with your marmalade on toast?

Always with butter. I imagine it would be too dry without.

I even put butter on when having peanut butter.

Me too. It needs the extra lubrication. Bread, butter, peanut butter, golden
syrup ... bliss!

Mary

Gøñzølã

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

Me too. It needs the extra lubrication. Bread, butter, peanut butter,

golden
syrup ... bliss!

Are we still on the subject of toast?

i didnt say that i dont think so

"AstraVanMan" wrote in message
Butter or marge please wrote:

What's going on? :-)

[O/T] & crossposting, what a splendid combination ;-(

Covers all bases then!

Btw, my answer would be "with butter". Definitely. Too dry without.

Peter

but peter you could dip it in your cuppa ;0)

johnty

Without.

If there's no marmalade I do enjoy using that "I can't believe it's not
margarine" stuff. Comes from cows, apprently.

Mary Fisher

"AstraVanMan" wrote in message
I suspect that people who don't separate their bread and marmalade are
health or weight conscious.

I'm guessing you meant "butter" in that sentence.

Well, that *is* the subject of the thread ...

Try as I might, I just can't imagine a roast beef + horseradish sandwich
tasting that nice with marmalade.

To me anything with horseradish could only be improved by the addition of
mamrmalade:-)

Mary

Peter

Mary Fisher

"Gøñzølã" T o p @ S e c r e t . c o m wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

Me too. It needs the extra lubrication. Bread, butter, peanut butter,

golden
syrup ... bliss!

Are we still on the subject of toast?

Oh, sorry, no.

I'll go and have myself whipped.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"johnty" wrote in message
ups.com...
Without.

If there's no marmalade I do enjoy using that "I can't believe it's not
margarine" stuff. Comes from cows, apprently.

With a little help from Man but certainly not as much as the junk made in
factories.

Mary

AstraVanMan

I suspect that people who don't separate their bread and marmalade are
health or weight conscious.

I'm guessing you meant "butter" in that sentence.

Well, that *is* the subject of the thread ...

Here was me thinking that this is usenet..... :-)

Try as I might, I just can't imagine a roast beef + horseradish sandwich
tasting that nice with marmalade.

To me anything with horseradish could only be improved by the addition of
mamrmalade:-)

Mamrmalade? Is that some sort of orange flavour stuff that women
breast-feed to their babies?

Peter

graham

"Andy" wrote in message
... do you put butter/marge with your marmalade on toast?

Always with butter. I imagine it would be too dry without.

I even put butter on when having peanut butter.

Me too. It needs the extra lubrication. Bread, butter, peanut butter,
golden syrup ... bliss!

Wot? No banana?
Graham

Gizmo

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...
for ANYTHING!

The best bread (I make it) deserves the best butter (Welsh, 3% salt) and
the best marmalade (I make it).

You don't think that makes you just a little bit biased ? ;o)

i didnt say that i dont think so

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Gøñzølã" T o p @ S e c r e t . c o m wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

Me too. It needs the extra lubrication. Bread, butter, peanut butter,

golden
syrup ... bliss!

Are we still on the subject of toast?

Oh, sorry, no.

I'll go and have myself whipped.

Mary

Mary is that with cream or marmalade :0)

Mary Fisher

"AstraVanMan" wrote in message
I suspect that people who don't separate their bread and marmalade are
health or weight conscious.

I'm guessing you meant "butter" in that sentence.

Well, that *is* the subject of the thread ...

Here was me thinking that this is usenet..... :-)

Sorry. Again.

Try as I might, I just can't imagine a roast beef + horseradish sandwich
tasting that nice with marmalade.

To me anything with horseradish could only be improved by the addition of
mamrmalade:-)

Mamrmalade?

It's what's produced by urgently being called for lunch.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Gizmo" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...
for ANYTHING!

The best bread (I make it) deserves the best butter (Welsh, 3% salt) and
the best marmalade (I make it).

You don't think that makes you just a little bit biased ? ;o)

No, just experienced over forty odd years.

The other week I had some 'toast' made from a piece of something which came
from a plastic bag and labelled 'Hovis', spread with something greasy which
was contained in a plastic tub and coated with a yellow, jelly-like, sweet
and otherwise flavourless substancefrom a jar labelled Olde Fashioned
Marmalade - or something of that ilk.

Two bites from said anointed piece of whatever it was convinced me that it
certainly wasn't bread as I know it. As for the 'marmalade' element - blech.

Mary

Graybags

ewwww marmalade.

Mary Fisher

"Andy" wrote in message
... do you put butter/marge with your marmalade on toast?

Always with butter. I imagine it would be too dry without.

I even put butter on when having peanut butter.

Me too. It needs the extra lubrication. Bread, butter, peanut butter,
golden syrup ... bliss!

Wot? No banana?

Bananas only create my bliss when dipped into soured cream ... oh, drool ...

But thinking about it, golden syrup spread on unbuttered bread and left
overnight to go hard THEN spread (thickly) with butter is very good.

Mary

Douglas Payne

Mary Fisher wrote:
"AstraVanMan" wrote in message

I suspect that people who don't separate their bread and marmalade are
health or weight conscious.

I'm guessing you meant "butter" in that sentence.

Well, that *is* the subject of the thread ...

Here was me thinking that this is usenet..... :-)

Sorry. Again.

Try as I might, I just can't imagine a roast beef + horseradish sandwich
tasting that nice with marmalade.

To me anything with horseradish could only be improved by the addition of
mamrmalade:-)

Mamrmalade?

It's what's produced by urgently being called for lunch.

Wow, if I could excrete orange flavour stuff from my nipples, I'd have
it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. (c:

Douglas

The Reids

Following up to Douglas Payne

Mamrmalade?

It's what's produced by urgently being called for lunch.

Wow, if I could excrete orange flavour stuff from my nipples, I'd have
it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. (c:

I can do that from another part of my anatomy, do you want some
sent over?
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Halmyre

Butter or marge please wrote:

What's going on? :-)

So many of the people I meet these days in the UK put marmalade on
their toast with no butter.

They are deviants and should be poked with pointed sticks.

--
Halmyre

Bod

Knock knock
Who's there?
Marmalade
Marmalade who?
Marmalade me said the chicken

The Reids

Following up to Halmyre

So many of the people I meet these days in the UK put marmalade on
their toast with no butter.

They are deviants and should be poked with pointed sticks.

there are trendies who put mustard on bread instead of butter and
don't like Mahonaisse, sharpen your sticks.
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Walk-eat-Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" -- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap
Photos of both "http://www.lawn-mower-man.co.uk"
June Hughes

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"Gizmo" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...
for ANYTHING!

The best bread (I make it) deserves the best butter (Welsh, 3% salt) and
the best marmalade (I make it).

You don't think that makes you just a little bit biased ? ;o)

No, just experienced over forty odd years.

The other week I had some 'toast' made from a piece of something which came
from a plastic bag and labelled 'Hovis', spread with something greasy which
was contained in a plastic tub and coated with a yellow, jelly-like, sweet
and otherwise flavourless substancefrom a jar labelled Olde Fashioned
Marmalade - or something of that ilk.

Two bites from said anointed piece of whatever it was convinced me that it
certainly wasn't bread as I know it. As for the 'marmalade' element - blech.

Hello Mary. It would seem that the only way we can get you to post to
ukf+d is for someone to cross-post I hope you are well. We miss you.
--
June Hughes

Douglas Payne

The Reids wrote:
Following up to Douglas Payne

Mamrmalade?

It's what's produced by urgently being called for lunch.

Wow, if I could excrete orange flavour stuff from my nipples, I'd have
it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. (c:

I can do that from another part of my anatomy, do you want some
sent over?

Not if its your big dirty bum.

Douglas
Mary Fisher

"June Hughes" wrote in message

Hello Mary. It would seem that the only way we can get you to post to
ukf+d is for someone to cross-post I hope you are well. We miss you.

LOL! I've only just realised that it's x-posted ... I did wonder about
unfamiliar names :-)

I'm well. As for being missed ... well, some might.

Nice to see you though!

Mary

Keith Willcocks

"The Reids" wrote in message
Following up to Halmyre

So many of the people I meet these days in the UK put marmalade on
their toast with no butter.

They are deviants and should be poked with pointed sticks.

there are trendies who put mustard on bread instead of butter and
don't like Mahonaisse, sharpen your sticks.

How can this discussion on marmalade with/without butter have got this far
with no mention of the poem "The King's Breakfast" by A A Milne "...many
people nowadays like marmalade instead...".
--
Keith Willcocks

Mary Fisher

"Keith Willcocks" wrote in message

How can this discussion on marmalade with/without butter have got this far
with no mention of the poem "The King's Breakfast" by A A Milne "...many
people nowadays like marmalade instead...".

Oh, thanks for reminding me of that :-)

Mary
who loves the image of the King going downstairs on the banister

S Viemeister

Mary Fisher wrote:

"June Hughes" wrote in message

Hello Mary. It would seem that the only way we can get you to post to
ukf+d is for someone to cross-post I hope you are well. We miss you.

LOL! I've only just realised that it's x-posted ... I did wonder about
unfamiliar names :-)

I'm well. As for being missed ... well, some might.

I miss you, too (although I DO see you on uk.d-i-y).

Sheila

davek

Butter or marge please wrote:
... do you put butter/marge with your marmalade on toast?

I don't allow marge in the house. It is vile chemical gunk.

Always butter on toast with marmalade.
And butter on toast with Marmite (that's another can of worms
opened...).
And butter on toast soldiers for dipping in a soft-boiled egg.

d.

S Viemeister

davek wrote:

And butter on toast with Marmite (that's another can of worms
opened...).

So THAT's what Marmite is made of......

Sheila
Stevie Boy

Butter or marge please wrote:
... do you put butter/marge with your marmalade on toast?

I don't allow marge in the house. It is vile chemical gunk.

Always butter on toast with marmalade.
And butter on toast with Marmite (that's another can of worms
opened...).
And butter on toast soldiers for dipping in a soft-boiled egg.

Always in the order of Toast, Olivio, topping unless fried then it's bare
but the oil makes up for it.

Personally I love Toast, Olivio and Ginger.

Steve

Tim S Kemp

Butter or marge please wrote:
What's going on? :-)

So many of the people I meet these days in the UK put marmalade on
their toast with no butter.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned or something because I put butter (margarine
actually) on toast as well as marmalade.

Now you might think I am wacko to ask about this but ....

... do you put butter/marge with your marmalade on toast?

Butter.

100% natural, and far better tasting than any other fat. I'd go with
unsalted if adding a sweet topping like marmalade, jam or (the best) Honey.
Salted for a savoury topping.

I'd rather eat the toast dry than put margarine on it.

--
"Excuse me, would you mind not farting while I'm saving the world?"

"Would you rather silent but deadly?"

Mary Fisher

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

"June Hughes" wrote in message

Hello Mary. It would seem that the only way we can get you to post to
ukf+d is for someone to cross-post I hope you are well. We miss
you.

LOL! I've only just realised that it's x-posted ... I did wonder about
unfamiliar names :-)

I'm well. As for being missed ... well, some might.

I miss you, too (although I DO see you on uk.d-i-y).

My eyes are moistening ...

Mary

Sheila