Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toolstation's search facility

I wanted some linseed oil putty - I put "putty" in the search box and got three pages of results, more than fifty items, only one of which (item 25 I think) was putty!

They need to get someone who has some idea how to code to sort their website out
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:

I wanted some linseed oil putty - I put "putty" in the search box
and got three pages of results, more than fifty items, only one of
which (item 25 I think) was putty!

They need to get someone who has some idea how to code to sort their website out

somebody already has

https://google.com/search?q=linseed+putty+site:toolstation.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk Wrote in message:
I wanted some linseed oil putty - I put "putty" in the search box and got three pages of results, more than fifty items, only one of which (item 25 I think) was putty!

They need to get someone who has some idea how to code to sort their website out

Yup.

Just Google "Toolstation putty"
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2020 16:40, Murmansk wrote:
I wanted some linseed oil putty - I put "putty" in the search box and got three pages of results, more than fifty items, only one of which (item 25 I think) was putty!

They need to get someone who has some idea how to code to sort their website out

is it impossible that they monitor what people search for and what they
then buy and have thus found that a lot of people search for putty but
actually want a filler?

and typing "linseed" into their search box would have shown you the 2
sizes of linseed oil putty they sell without you even pressing Enter

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2020 16:53, Andy Burns wrote:

Murmansk wrote:

I wanted some linseed oil putty - I put "putty" in the search box
and got three pages of results,Â* more than fifty items, only one of
which (item 25Â* I think) was putty!

They need to get someone who has some idea how to code to sort their
website out

somebody already has

https://google.com/search?q=linseed+putty+site:toolstation.com

Ye could argue that poor targeted search engines on supplier websites
are deliberate, so that you get tempted to buy other items when they are
"accidently" waved in front of ya face - Supermarket stylee.

Also, I say "accidently" in quotes, as they may well be using SEO
tricks, cookies and dodgy relations with unknowns - and so may know
*exactly* what they are doing, even though it's unhelpful and looks broken.

For a while, the folks that ran Maplin's website, successfully spammed
Google. I would search for something, get guided to the Maplin site, and
then find the specific item something that they have long sold out of,
so met with "item not found".

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Ye could argue that poor targeted search engines on supplier websites
are deliberate, so that you get tempted to buy other items when they are
"accidently" waved in front of ya face - Supermarket stylee.

Also, I say "accidently" in quotes, as they may well be using SEO
tricks, cookies and dodgy relations with unknowns - and so may know
*exactly* what they are doing, even though it's unhelpful and looks broken.

Yep, I'm pretty sure this is how Amazon works - all this 'Amazon's choice'
stuff for things that don't contain the terms you searched for, and all
being extremely dubious no-brand things that you can buy identical versions
of on Aliexpress for a third the price.

Although the infamous B&Q search facility was I think just incompetence.
It seems to have got better of late.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have you ever put cassette player into Amazons search engine? You get cd
players and batteries merely because some bright spark has use the word
cassette in the description, like Suitable for high current devices like cd
and cassette portable devices in the case of batteries.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Murmansk" wrote in message
I wanted some linseed oil putty - I put "putty" in the search box and got
three pages of results, more than fifty items, only one of which (item 25
I think) was putty!

They need to get someone who has some idea how to code to sort their
website out

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

Have you ever put cassette player into Amazons search engine? You get cd
players and batteries merely because some bright spark has use the word
cassette in the description

When I put "cassette player" with the double quotes into amazon, in the
first 5 pages the only items I see that are not capable of playing
cassettes are some replacement drive belts and one of those adapters to
play music from a phone through a car stereo.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:

I wanted some linseed oil putty - I put "putty" in the search box
and got three pages of results,Â* more than fifty items, only one of
which (item 25Â* I think) was putty!

They need to get someone who has some idea how to code to sort their
website out

somebody already has

https://google.com/search?q=linseed+putty+site:toolstation.com

I wanted solvent-based brick sealer and got pages and pages of
silicone sealant.

Luckily Google found "Bostic Cementone brick sealer" and it was out
of stock online and only one 5 litre can left in the south of england
in Leatherhead, so I drove there and grabbed it. I think VOC2010
or whatever has consigned it to history. IKO used to make a similar
product, and Wilco used to sell it but that too has disappeared.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

Luckily Google found "Bostic Cementone brick sealer" and it was out
of stock online and only one 5 litre can left in the south of england
in Leatherhead, so I drove there and grabbed it. I think VOC2010
or whatever has consigned it to history.

They've got plenty in Wickes an Travis Perkins, rather than ToolSatan
(obviously they're essentially the same mob)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/2020 13:10, Andy Burns wrote:
Andrew wrote:

Luckily Google found "Bostic Cementone brick sealer" and it was out
of stock online and only one 5 litre can left in the south of england
in Leatherhead, so I drove there and grabbed it. I think VOC2010
or whatever has consigned it to history.

They've got plenty in Wickes an Travis Perkins, rather than ToolSatan
(obviously they're essentially the same mob)

Hmm. £24 in Wickes, only £13.98 in Toolstation. Both part of TP
(for now, Wickes is/was up for sale). Google showed Toolstation
so that's where I went.

Toolstation website says 'not available online' and trying various
postcodes around southern UK says branch out-of-stock, so maybe I
have got the last can. Maybe they were dropping it hence the
cheap price ?. The similar IKO sealant I bought in Wilco about 10
years ago was £25 for 5 litres even then.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:

[...]

My impression is that many websites use an inclusive 'or' for search terms, so
that the more terms you enter the more results you get. This could just be a
very simple search method, but I wondered whether this was actually what naive
search users expect? Obviously, the only way to use such a search is to
serially try searches with single terms, trying to guess which term is most
likely to be unique to the item you want. Not very efficient.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 16 October 2020 16:40:06 UTC+1, Murmansk wrote:
I wanted some linseed oil putty - I put "putty" in the search box and got three pages of results, more than fifty items, only one of which (item 25 I think) was putty!

They need to get someone who has some idea how to code to sort their website out

Couldn't agree more.

Etsy have started to stuff so many advertising entries you just give up.

Sites which use multiple spellings (colour and color) - but their search only finds one spelling can drive you mad.

Sites like CPC which, except for mistakes, accurately search are so much better to use. One of the very best is https://www.cultpens.com/