Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Win 10 file sharing problem

I've been 'upgrading' all the computers here to Win10 Pro.

When they were Win7 on a homegroup, they all shared files easily.

I have cabled LAN, Wi-Fi and a Wi-Fi range extender.
If any two are on say the same Wi-Fi, they share files normally. But I'd
not need an extender if this covered all the house. With one on the main
router Wi-Fi and one on the range extender (TP Link), can't share. Same
when one is on the cable LAN and another on Wi-Fi.

Google did give a work round, but involved pages and pages of
reconfiguring near everything onto static IP addresses and so on.

Is it really the case that what I'm trying to do is outside the norm of a
modern operating system?

--
*I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) formulated the question :
Google did give a work round, but involved pages and pages of
reconfiguring near everything onto static IP addresses and so on.

I configure most things to static IP's anyway, it makes certain things
much easier that way, like printing to a remote printer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

I have cabled LAN, Wi-Fi and a Wi-Fi range extender.
If any two are on say the same Wi-Fi, they share files normally. But I'd
not need an extender if this covered all the house. With one on the main
router Wi-Fi and one on the range extender (TP Link), can't share. Same
when one is on the cable LAN and another on Wi-Fi.

Before even thinking about file shares ...

Do you have a single IP subnet that spans all three physical media?

A single DHCP server?

Does your router act as a local DNS server or just as a forwarder to an
external DNS server?

Can every PC ping every other PC regardless of what they're connected
to, by IP addr? by name?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I configure most things to static IP's anyway, it makes certain things
much easier that way

Using MAC address reservations, instead of static addresses, is better
for devices (laptops, phones) that are mobile ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Jul 2020 11:29:50 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

I've been 'upgrading' all the computers here to Win10 Pro.

When they were Win7 on a homegroup, they all shared files easily.

I have cabled LAN, Wi-Fi and a Wi-Fi range extender.
If any two are on say the same Wi-Fi, they share files normally. But I'd
not need an extender if this covered all the house. With one on the main
router Wi-Fi and one on the range extender (TP Link), can't share. Same
when one is on the cable LAN and another on Wi-Fi.

Google did give a work round, but involved pages and pages of
reconfiguring near everything onto static IP addresses and so on.

Is it really the case that what I'm trying to do is outside the norm of a
modern operating system?

Oh modern operating systems can cope, it's Microsoft that can't. I
don't recall an era when their networking was nearer NOTworking
especially on home computers.

Well I don't like static IPs for the workstations, only for
infrastructure items - but I've recently discovered a feature in a
utility I have long used - AngryIP Scan (angryip.org). Rt Click on a
discovered computer and open with File Manager. Then create a
shortcut to the item - I have a desktop folder - Lan Places. Given up
leaving it to Windows Explorer.

Paradoxically I've found it easier to access my Windows shares from my
Android!! Though the utillity I'm using for that does require the IP
address (other utilities are available).

--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I've been 'upgrading' all the computers here to Win10 Pro.

When they were Win7 on a homegroup, they all shared files easily.

I have cabled LAN, Wi-Fi and a Wi-Fi range extender.
If any two are on say the same Wi-Fi, they share files normally. But I'd
not need an extender if this covered all the house. With one on the main
router Wi-Fi and one on the range extender (TP Link), can't share. Same
when one is on the cable LAN and another on Wi-Fi.

Google did give a work round, but involved pages and pages of
reconfiguring near everything onto static IP addresses and so on.

Is it really the case that what I'm trying to do is outside the norm of a
modern operating system?

http://www.unixwiz.net/tools/nbtscan.html

http://www.unixwiz.net/tools/nbtscan-1.0.35.exe

nbtscan 192.168.1.0/24

192.168.1.101 WORKGROUP\BOB SHARING
192.168.1.102 WORKGROUP\BLUEWAVE SHARING
*timeout (normal end of scan)

You can use that to see which machines are in the
same workgroup. You can change the network specification,
the netmask, to scan a larger portion of your local net.
For example, 192.168.1.0/16 would scan all of 192.168.x.x .

Say that your router was 192.168.1.0/24 and the
nbtscan command was 192.168.1.0/16 , then nbtscan
would only have 192.168.1.x entries and 192.168.2.x
or higher would be missing from the output.

In any case, that's a toy you can play with.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

I have cabled LAN, Wi-Fi and a Wi-Fi range extender.
If any two are on say the same Wi-Fi, they share files normally. But I'd
not need an extender if this covered all the house. With one on the main
router Wi-Fi and one on the range extender (TP Link), can't share. Same
when one is on the cable LAN and another on Wi-Fi.

Before even thinking about file shares ...

Well I am, because it worked just fine on Win7. ;-)

Do you have a single IP subnet that spans all three physical media?

Is that (in my case)192.168.1.***? If so, yes.

A single DHCP server?

Pass.

Does your router act as a local DNS server or just as a forwarder to an
external DNS server?

Again, pass. It's a BT one and more or less out of the box.

Can every PC ping every other PC regardless of what they're connected
to, by IP addr? by name?

No. Only when they are are all cabled or on the same Wi-Fi

--
*Bigamy is having one wife too many - monogamy is the same

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

[snip stuff that doesn't like the problem]

Can every PC ping every other PC regardless of what they're connected
to, by IP addr? by name?

No. Only when they are are all cabled or on the same Wi-Fi

So you've got a network issue, not a file sharing issue.

Does the range extender plug into an ethernet port on the router, or is
it purely a wifi device?

Does the extender use the same wifi SSID as the router?

Does the extender have a web management interface?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul wrote:

http://www.unixwiz.net/tools/nbtscan.html

That's not a wrong suggestion, but get them all pinging before using it ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Can every PC ping every other PC regardless of what they're connected
to, by IP addr? by name?

No. Only when they are are all cabled or on the same Wi-Fi

Worth double-chking that all PCs allow ICMP echo requests through their
local firewall, eitheit from a command line or the firewall GUI

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/allow-pings-icmp-echo-request-through-your-windows-vista-firewall/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Jul 2020 11:29:50 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've been 'upgrading' all the computers here to Win10 Pro.

When they were Win7 on a homegroup, they all shared files easily.

I have cabled LAN, Wi-Fi and a Wi-Fi range extender.
If any two are on say the same Wi-Fi, they share files normally. But I'd
not need an extender if this covered all the house. With one on the main
router Wi-Fi and one on the range extender (TP Link), can't share. Same
when one is on the cable LAN and another on Wi-Fi.

Google did give a work round, but involved pages and pages of
reconfiguring near everything onto static IP addresses and so on.

Is it really the case that what I'm trying to do is outside the norm of
a modern operating system?

You could setup teamviewer and send the files directly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Unexpectedly, one answer seems to have come from elsewhere.

To enable file sharing with this ancient RISCOS machine I had to enable
Samba v1 in Win 10. And now all the Win 10 machines are talking to one
another too. Bound to be some security or whatever issue, though.

--
*Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

To enable file sharing with this ancient RISCOS machine I had to enable
Samba v1 in Win 10.

You may not have much choice if you need to talk to riscos, but
Microsoft's advice is

Stop using SMB1.
/Stop using SMB1/
*STOP USING SMB1!*

Within a home network behind a NAT router, where presumably you trust
all your own devices it shouldn't be an issue, provided you don't allow
VPN access, or anything that could tunnel TCP ports 139 or 445

And now all the Win 10 machines are talking to one
another too.

Wouldn't explain why the Win10 PCs couldn't ping each other by IP addr,
the Computer Browser service (which relies on SMB1) probably explains
why they can now locate each other, but there are newer protocols ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield"; "Esq." wrote in
message ...
Dave Plowman (News) formulated the question :
Google did give a work round, but involved pages and pages of
reconfiguring near everything onto static IP addresses and so on.

I configure most things to static IP's anyway, it makes certain things
much easier that way, like printing to a remote printer.

For PCs that run mini web servers to configure a software package (eg
weather station software or TVHeadend PVR) I set fixed IP addresses.
Printing to a remote printer over the network also requires that the printer
has a fixed IP.

But I never set them statically at the PC by configuring TCP not to use
DHCP. It is too prone to getting two devices clashing on IP if you forget
what you've already set. Also, with a portable computer (eg laptop, tablet,
phone) it may get used on other networks with different subnet (eg
192.168.1.x rather than 192.168.0.x) or where static IP will clash.

What I do instead is to keep DHCP enabled on the PCs but set "reserved IP
addresses" at the router: most modern routers allow you to set a series of
MAC addresses (the hardware address of the adaptor, unique throughout the
world) and correspond IP addresses that will be allocated. When a PC boots,
it will ask for an IP in the normal way, but the router will always give it
the same address rather than choosing one "at random" based on which ones
are not already allocated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

To enable file sharing with this ancient RISCOS machine I had to enable
Samba v1 in Win 10.

You may not have much choice if you need to talk to riscos, but
Microsoft's advice is

Stop using SMB1.
/Stop using SMB1/
*STOP USING SMB1!*

Within a home network behind a NAT router, where presumably you trust
all your own devices it shouldn't be an issue, provided you don't allow
VPN access, or anything that could tunnel TCP ports 139 or 445

And now all the Win 10 machines are talking to one
another too.

Wouldn't explain why the Win10 PCs couldn't ping each other by IP addr,
the Computer Browser service (which relies on SMB1) probably explains
why they can now locate each other, but there are newer protocols ...

There are two entries in services.msc that begin
with the word "Function" that seem to have something
to do with name serving. With SMBV1 off, you could
try again with those "Function" ones running and see
whether the Win10 machines see each other. The "Function"
ones won't help you contact a WinXP box.

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In my view, what windows sorely needs here is a control panel that can make
this sort of thing a lot less of a black art, Surely it could be designed so
t looked at all the connections and suggested best addresses to set as
fixed?
Brian

--
Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!

This document should only be read by those persons for whom Paranoia is
normal
and its contents are probably boring and confusing. If you receive this
e-Mail
message in error, do not notify the sender immediately, instead, print it
out and make
paper animals out of it. As the rest of this disclaimer is totally
incomprehensible, we have not bothered to attach it.
"NY" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've been 'upgrading' all the computers here to Win10 Pro.

When they were Win7 on a homegroup, they all shared files easily.

I have cabled LAN, Wi-Fi and a Wi-Fi range extender.
If any two are on say the same Wi-Fi, they share files normally. But I'd
not need an extender if this covered all the house. With one on the main
router Wi-Fi and one on the range extender (TP Link), can't share. Same
when one is on the cable LAN and another on Wi-Fi.

Google did give a work round, but involved pages and pages of
reconfiguring near everything onto static IP addresses and so on.

Is it really the case that what I'm trying to do is outside the norm of a
modern operating system?

If there is a particular physical drive on one machine that you need to
access from another, the most solid way I have found is to use "net use"
to assign a letter to it. That survives rebooting and works across a
network with an extender for me. You have to turn sharing on of course.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

To enable file sharing with this ancient RISCOS machine I had to enable
Samba v1 in Win 10.

You may not have much choice if you need to talk to riscos, but
Microsoft's advice is

Stop using SMB1.
/Stop using SMB1/
*STOP USING SMB1!*

Within a home network behind a NAT router, where presumably you trust
all your own devices it shouldn't be an issue, provided you don't allow
VPN access, or anything that could tunnel TCP ports 139 or 445

And now all the Win 10 machines are talking to one
another too.

Wouldn't explain why the Win10 PCs couldn't ping each other by IP addr,
the Computer Browser service (which relies on SMB1) probably explains
why they can now locate each other, but there are newer protocols ...

I spoke too soon. The cabled LAN connected PC does now seem to be able to
talk to the others on Wi-Fi, but not the other way round.

It seems to be to do with the Wi-Fi range extender - I've found several
articles by Googling but they all seem to involve enormous amount of work.
And seem to be referring to a version of Win10 very different to mine. ;-)

In case you'd not realised, this is all well outside my comfort range. My
computing is steeped in the noughties. At the very latest.

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
NY wrote:
[...]

That sounds more like what I need. I'd be happy enough to assign fixed IP
addresses to the actual computers, but all the other rubbish like TVs etc
would be a pain.

--
*Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
[...]

I've got 5 PCs and 2 RISCOS ones, and was used to being able to share
things (like say Users files) between all in either direction. If I could
do the same with all their HDs, I'd be happy enough.

--
*If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Jul 2020 16:25:46 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Unexpectedly, one answer seems to have come from elsewhere.

To enable file sharing with this ancient RISCOS machine I had to enable
Samba v1 in Win 10. And now all the Win 10 machines are talking to one
another too. Bound to be some security or whatever issue, though.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that though now my XP machine is being
retired that may no longer be needed and I can get the pint of blood I
used to sign up for Samba v1 back.

--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Unexpectedly, one answer seems to have come from elsewhere.

To enable file sharing with this ancient RISCOS machine I had to enable
Samba v1 in Win 10. And now all the Win 10 machines are talking to one
another too. Bound to be some security or whatever issue, though.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that though now my XP machine is being
retired that may no longer be needed and I can get the pint of blood I
used to sign up for Samba v1 back.

The PC associated with this machine had Win7 and XP on separate HDs and
could boot to either. So when going Win10, I added a third SSD hoping to
be able to do the same - boot to 10,7 or XP. But of course they've changed
all that too.

--
*Arkansas State Motto: Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Laugh.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weird.

This Acorn RPC uses a prog called LanMan98 to share files with a PC across
a LAN. All you do is enter the PC and file name, and if the file is shared
up it comes. Works on any of my PCs. But they won't talk to one another
unless on the same 'LAN' circuit - ie cable or either of the Wi-Fi senders.

I presume Win 10 changed their sharing arrangements for security? If so,
it seems to have failed if a 30 year old OS gets such easy access. ;-)

--
*I can see your point, but I still think you're full of ****.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote on 19/07/2020 :
That sounds more like what I need. I'd be happy enough to assign fixed IP
addresses to the actual computers, but all the other rubbish like TVs etc
would be a pain.

If you do not need other devices to be able to find and be able to
access them, just let them rely on DHCP to allocate addresses.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I configure most things to static IP's anyway, it makes certain things
much easier that way

Using MAC address reservations, instead of static addresses, is better
for devices (laptops, phones) that are mobile ...

I've now compiled a list of the MAC addresses of everything on my network,
names and their IP addresses at the time.

Can you point me in the direction of how to set things up using MAC
addresses? My router is a BT one, but does seem to be quite configurable.
If a bit short on help. ;-)

--
*They told me I had type-A blood, but it was a Type-O.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Can you point me in the direction of how to set things up using MAC
addresses? My router is a BT one,

google for your SmartHub/HomeHub model, DHCP reservation should get you
there
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

Can you point me in the direction of how to set things up using MAC
addresses? My router is a BT one,

google for your SmartHub/HomeHub model, DHCP reservation should get you
there

My router does have an A-Z search. Only things that come up under DHCP are
DHCP settings
DHCP table

Neither seems to give a choice of using MAC addresses.

--
*Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

My router does have an A-Z search.

I meant google etc really, that will soon turn up others who have found
how to do it (or that it can't be done) with a given router

Or you could disable DHCP on the router and do it on a Pi instead (maybe
along with an adblocking DNS server such as pi-hole).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

Can you point me in the direction of how to set things up using MAC
addresses? My router is a BT one,

google for your SmartHub/HomeHub model, DHCP reservation should get you
there

I've tried just about everything said here.

DCHP range on my router is 192.168.1.64 - 253

I've assigned static addresses to the things I want to talk to one
another, including the range extender, below 64. And reserved those IP
addresses in the router.

Googled lots of times. Everyone has a different answer.

https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-the-w...rking-problem/

None of which seems to have made any difference. Some can see another, but
not the other way. Some show another on the network, but aren't allowed
access.

--
*If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2020 17:02:44, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

Can you point me in the direction of how to set things up using MAC
addresses? My router is a BT one,

google for your SmartHub/HomeHub model, DHCP reservation should get you
there

I've tried just about everything said here.

DCHP range on my router is 192.168.1.64 - 253

I've assigned static addresses to the things I want to talk to one
another, including the range extender, below 64. And reserved those IP
addresses in the router.

Googled lots of times. Everyone has a different answer.

https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-the-w...rking-problem/

None of which seems to have made any difference. Some can see another, but
not the other way. Some show another on the network, but aren't allowed
access.

I have a similar problem. However it is possible to use \\192.168.1.xx\
to see the files that are shared and accessible on the remote device
even when discovery isn't working.

Once accessed by IP address the name may be apparent and so use cut and
paste or if you're lucky you can use the pull down feature in the path
in File Explorer to see historical network devices.

I've given up wasting too much time on this but if you see a solution,
perhaps find an app or background service that does the discovery then I
would love to know.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

I've assigned static addresses to the things I want to talk to one
another, including the range extender, below 64. And reserved those IP
addresses in the router.

When you say "reserved" do you mean you've set an exclusion for
addresses xx.yy.zz.1 to .64 in the router's DHCP scope, or do you mean
you've associated every item's MAC address to the IP address you want it
to have? The latter is what I meant, then you don't have to give the
individual equipment static addresses, you can leave them on automatic
and the router will look up their MAC and always give them the same IP addr.

You've not said what model BT router you have, then people can check if
the router can do that.

Googled lots of times. Everyone has a different answer.
None of which seems to have made any difference. Some can see another, but
not the other way. Some show another on the network, but aren't allowed
access.

"see" at what level? ping is the starting point, you might need to
enable it through firewalls, once everything can ping everything else,
move up to SMB/CIFS sharing. If you try to use file shares first it's
running before the network can walk.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 17:33:45 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Googled lots of times. Everyone has a different answer.

That's always a problem with windows, too many "experts" and you end
up with the blind leading the blind.

None of which seems to have made any difference. Some can see

another,
but not the other way. Some show another on the network, but

aren't
allowed access.

"see" at what level? ping is the starting point, you might need to
enable it through firewalls, once everything can ping everything else,
move up to SMB/CIFS sharing.

Also check that all devices are in the same "workgroup" or whatever
they call it now...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 17:33:45 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Googled lots of times. Everyone has a different answer.

That's always a problem with windows, too many "experts" and you end
up with the blind leading the blind.

None of which seems to have made any difference. Some can see

another,
but not the other way. Some show another on the network, but

aren't
allowed access.

"see" at what level? ping is the starting point, you might need to
enable it through firewalls, once everything can ping everything else,
move up to SMB/CIFS sharing.

Also check that all devices are in the same "workgroup" or whatever
they call it now...

This is just for fun.

http://www.unixwiz.net/tools/nbtscan.html

http://www.unixwiz.net/tools/nbtscan-1.0.35.exe

nbtscan 192.168.1.0/24

192.168.1.101 WORKGROUP\BOB SHARING
192.168.1.102 WORKGROUP\BLUEWAVE SHARING
*timeout (normal end of scan)

That allows a survey, to see what has registered
with a particular protocol. There's more than one nameserver
in Windows, and it's outside my payscale to dissect this
stuff.

But you can start with something like that for a look.

Both machines above have workgroup=WORKGROUP, so BOB should see
BLUEWAVE and vice versa. The Windows 10 machines can
benefit from at least having the two services.msc
with "Function" as the first word in the name.
One of the Function ones seems to be a nameserver
of some sort.

And for Windows 10 to see Windows XP machines, needs SMBV1
turned on in Programs and Features : Windows Features.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

I've assigned static addresses to the things I want to talk to one
another, including the range extender, below 64. And reserved those IP
addresses in the router.

When you say "reserved" do you mean you've set an exclusion for
addresses xx.yy.zz.1 to .64 in the router's DHCP scope, or do you mean
you've associated every item's MAC address to the IP address you want it
to have? The latter is what I meant, then you don't have to give the
individual equipment static addresses, you can leave them on automatic
and the router will look up their MAC and always give them the same IP
addr.

My BT router only seems to give the option of reserving an IP address to
an item it has seen. So has its MAC address.
The devices page shows everything that has been in use. Highlighted if
active at the moment. You click on the device and a page opens which
allows you to rename it and always use (or not) the IP address given.

You've not said what model BT router you have, then people can check if
the router can do that.

It has a pretty full A-Z index. Think it is a home hub 6 - originally
supplied when FTC arrived here, so not the latest model.

But I'd say it's a red herring.

Googled lots of times. Everyone has a different answer.
None of which seems to have made any difference. Some can see another, but
not the other way. Some show another on the network, but aren't allowed
access.

"see" at what level? ping is the starting point, you might need to
enable it through firewalls, once everything can ping everything else,
move up to SMB/CIFS sharing. If you try to use file shares first it's
running before the network can walk.

You can't actually ping things with Win 10.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 17:33:45 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Googled lots of times. Everyone has a different answer.

That's always a problem with windows, too many "experts" and you end
up with the blind leading the blind.

Very true. Googling for file sharing problems Win10 should make it obvious
you've had it working under a previous version. But much of that you'll
find simply tells you how to set up file sharing. Which to me doesn't come
under 'problems'.

None of which seems to have made any difference. Some can see

another,
but not the other way. Some show another on the network, but

aren't
allowed access.

"see" at what level? ping is the starting point, you might need to
enable it through firewalls, once everything can ping everything else,
move up to SMB/CIFS sharing.

Also check that all devices are in the same "workgroup" or whatever
they call it now...

My ancient Acorn doesn't use workgroups or whatever. But it accesses all
files set to share on any of the PCs simply by their computer name and
filename. Which makes me wonder about having read Win10 changed things for
security...

--
*Reality is the illusion that occurs due to the lack of alcohol *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 14:37:20 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

My BT router only seems to give the option of reserving an IP address to
an item it has seen. So has its MAC address.
The devices page shows everything that has been in use. Highlighted if
active at the moment. You click on the device and a page opens which
allows you to rename it and always use (or not) the IP address given.

snip

Yeah, that what I have generally seen and not what I generally want.

If it's allocated the dynamic address via DHCP it's going to be
somewhere in the DHCP scope and that's not where I want my static
IP's?

I guess I could set it to static (on the device) manually, then go to
the router and tell it to keep that IP with that MAC ... and then set
the device back to dynamic? It just seems a bit longwinded, especially
if you have to replace the router, have lot's of statically assigned
devices (as I have) and can't copy the configuration file over? ;-(

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

You can't actually ping things with Win 10.

Of course you can, here's one of my win10 pinging another win10

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19041.388]
(c) 2020 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Andyping jablaptop

Pinging jablaptop.lan [192.168.1.191] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.191:

but if yours can't it's likely because there's a firewall blocking it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

But I'd say it's a red herring.

Googled lots of times. Everyone has a different answer.

Only network geeks can use the diagnostics, understand the output and
fix the problem. The rest are wannabes, born somewhere to the left of
us, littering the internet with junk posts guaranteed to confuse. It's
hopeless.

None of which seems to have made any difference. Some can see another, but
not the other way. Some show another on the network, but aren't allowed
access.

"see" at what level? ping is the starting point, you might need to
enable it through firewalls, once everything can ping everything else,
move up to SMB/CIFS sharing. If you try to use file shares first it's
running before the network can walk.

You can't actually ping things with Win 10.

Try putting a -4 in the command

ping -4 192.168.1.33

if that works, then blame iPv6.

Various ways, erm ..., to get rid of it.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 14:37:20 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

My BT router only seems to give the option of reserving an IP address to
an item it has seen. So has its MAC address.
The devices page shows everything that has been in use. Highlighted if
active at the moment. You click on the device and a page opens which
allows you to rename it and always use (or not) the IP address given.

snip

Yeah, that what I have generally seen and not what I generally want.

If it's allocated the dynamic address via DHCP it's going to be
somewhere in the DHCP scope and that's not where I want my static
IP's?

I allocated fixed IP addresses to the things I wanted to, below the DCHP
range. Then in the router used the 'always use this address'

I guess I could set it to static (on the device) manually, then go to
the router and tell it to keep that IP with that MAC ... and then set
the device back to dynamic? It just seems a bit longwinded, especially
if you have to replace the router, have lot's of statically assigned
devices (as I have) and can't copy the configuration file over? ;-(

Setting the router is the easy bit. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

--
*Why do psychics have to ask you for your name? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:

But I'd say it's a red herring.

Googled lots of times. Everyone has a different answer.

Only network geeks can use the diagnostics, understand the output and
fix the problem. The rest are wannabes, born somewhere to the left of
us, littering the internet with junk posts guaranteed to confuse. It's
hopeless.

None of which seems to have made any difference. Some can see
another, but not the other way. Some show another on the network,
but aren't allowed access.

"see" at what level? ping is the starting point, you might need to
enable it through firewalls, once everything can ping everything else,
move up to SMB/CIFS sharing. If you try to use file shares first it's
running before the network can walk.

You can't actually ping things with Win 10.

Try putting a -4 in the command

ping -4 192.168.1.33

if that works, then blame iPv6.

iPv6 disabled long ago. ;-)

Various ways, erm ..., to get rid of it.

--
*And don't start a sentence with a conjunction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Win Win Win Win...... * Its my Pleasure * Home Repair 0 February 20th 08 05:55 AM
Win-win idea Alwen Home Repair 2 December 7th 05 07:15 PM
A win-win idea Alwen Metalworking 0 December 7th 05 02:30 PM
A win-win idea Alwen Woodworking 3 December 6th 05 11:24 PM
A win-win all the way around!! Mark and Kim Smith Woodworking 0 September 6th 04 09:57 PM