Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Win 10 file sharing problem

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

I have cabled LAN, Wi-Fi and a Wi-Fi range extender.
If any two are on say the same Wi-Fi, they share files normally. But I'd
not need an extender if this covered all the house. With one on the main
router Wi-Fi and one on the range extender (TP Link), can't share. Same
when one is on the cable LAN and another on Wi-Fi.

Before even thinking about file shares ...

Well I am, because it worked just fine on Win7. ;-)

Do you have a single IP subnet that spans all three physical media?

Is that (in my case)192.168.1.***? If so, yes.

A single DHCP server?

Pass.

Does your router act as a local DNS server or just as a forwarder to an
external DNS server?

Again, pass. It's a BT one and more or less out of the box.

Can every PC ping every other PC regardless of what they're connected
to, by IP addr? by name?

No. Only when they are are all cabled or on the same Wi-Fi

--
*Bigamy is having one wife too many - monogamy is the same

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.