Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Win 10 file sharing problem

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 14:37:20 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

My BT router only seems to give the option of reserving an IP address to
an item it has seen. So has its MAC address.
The devices page shows everything that has been in use. Highlighted if
active at the moment. You click on the device and a page opens which
allows you to rename it and always use (or not) the IP address given.

snip

Yeah, that what I have generally seen and not what I generally want.

If it's allocated the dynamic address via DHCP it's going to be
somewhere in the DHCP scope and that's not where I want my static
IP's?

I allocated fixed IP addresses to the things I wanted to, below the DCHP
range. Then in the router used the 'always use this address'

I guess I could set it to static (on the device) manually, then go to
the router and tell it to keep that IP with that MAC ... and then set
the device back to dynamic? It just seems a bit longwinded, especially
if you have to replace the router, have lot's of statically assigned
devices (as I have) and can't copy the configuration file over? ;-(

Setting the router is the easy bit. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

--
*Why do psychics have to ask you for your name? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.