Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Win 10 file sharing problem

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 17:33:45 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Googled lots of times. Everyone has a different answer.

That's always a problem with windows, too many "experts" and you end
up with the blind leading the blind.

Very true. Googling for file sharing problems Win10 should make it obvious
you've had it working under a previous version. But much of that you'll
find simply tells you how to set up file sharing. Which to me doesn't come
under 'problems'.

None of which seems to have made any difference. Some can see

another,
but not the other way. Some show another on the network, but

aren't
allowed access.

"see" at what level? ping is the starting point, you might need to
enable it through firewalls, once everything can ping everything else,
move up to SMB/CIFS sharing.

Also check that all devices are in the same "workgroup" or whatever
they call it now...

My ancient Acorn doesn't use workgroups or whatever. But it accesses all
files set to share on any of the PCs simply by their computer name and
filename. Which makes me wonder about having read Win10 changed things for
security...

--
*Reality is the illusion that occurs due to the lack of alcohol *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.