Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY rinse aid

I am out of rinse aid (and am disinclined to make a special trip to the
supermarket to buy some)

can I make some more by watering down washing up liquid, or will that not
work?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
I am out of rinse aid (and am disinclined to make a special trip to the
supermarket to buy some)

can I make some more by watering down washing up liquid, or will that
not work?

tim

Washing up liquid tends to leave smears, if not rinsed off.

--
*I used up all my sick days so I called in dead

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 4 May 2020 12:57:32 UTC+1, tim... wrote:
I am out of rinse aid (and am disinclined to make a special trip to the
supermarket to buy some)

Your DW tabs may already include rinse aid, if they're all -in-one.

You might not need rinse aid if you have soft water.

Some white vinegar will do the rinse-aidy job of de-smearing glasses, but might affect the rubbery parts of the rinse-aid compartment/mechanism.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
I am out of rinse aid (and am disinclined to make a special trip to the
supermarket to buy some)

can I make some more by watering down washing up liquid, or will that
not work?

tim

Washing up liquid tends to leave smears, if not rinsed off.

I use Ilford Ilfotol wetting agent intended for the final
rinse when developing film. Brilliant for cleaning glass
and leaving a streak-free finish.

It was £6 when I bought it in 2008 and a litre goes a long,
long way

https://www.ilfordphoto.com/1905162
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2020 14:44, Andrew wrote:
In article ,
*** tim... wrote:
I am out of rinse aid (and am disinclined to make a special trip to the
supermarket to buy some)

can I make some more by watering down washing up liquid, or will that
not work?

tim

Washing up liquid tends to leave smears, if not rinsed off.

I use Ilford Ilfotol wetting agent intended for the final
rinse when developing film. Brilliant for cleaning glass
and leaving a streak-free finish.

It was £6 when I bought it in 2008 and a litre goes a long,
long way

https://www.ilfordphoto.com/1905162

Sorry, only for glass as in optical or see-through,
not the stuff you eat off !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
In article ,
tim... wrote:
I am out of rinse aid (and am disinclined to make a special trip to the
supermarket to buy some)

can I make some more by watering down washing up liquid, or will that
not work?

tim

Washing up liquid tends to leave smears, if not rinsed off.

I use Ilford Ilfotol wetting agent intended for the final
rinse when developing film. Brilliant for cleaning glass
and leaving a streak-free finish.

hence the confirmation that my suggestion is sensible

cos when I use to develop film we use a thin solution of washing up liquid
as a drying agent

but that would be mixed per use, and it didn't matter if the solution was a
bit bubbly

I guess that the hardness of the water helps

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Mon, 4 May 2020 12:56:53 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

I am out of rinse aid (and am disinclined to make a special trip to the
supermarket to buy some)

can I make some more by watering down washing up liquid, or will that not
work?

tim

Don't use washing up liquid. Try this mix for a DIY solution
http://www.agoodsimplelife.com/dishwasher-rinse-aid

well

I hardly consider

citric acid,
rubbing alcohol
lemon essential oil

as common ingredients

like I already have them in my cupboard - not

by the time I have put that little lot together I could have bought the
commercial stuff

but thanks anyway

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote

I am out of rinse aid (and am disinclined to make
a special trip to the supermarket to buy some)

can I make some more by watering down
washing up liquid, or will that not work?

I never use rinse aid and that works fine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 05:29 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for almost AN HOUR already!!!! LOL

On Tue, 5 May 2020 05:29:34 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I am out of rinse aid (and am disinclined to make a special trip to the
supermarket to buy some)

can I make some more by watering down washing up liquid, or will that not
work?

tim

Don't use washing up liquid. Try this mix for a DIY solution
http://www.agoodsimplelife.com/dishwasher-rinse-aid

well

I hardly consider

citric acid,
rubbing alcohol
lemon essential oil

as common ingredients

like I already have them in my cupboard - not

by the time I have put that little lot together I could have bought the
commercial stuff

but thanks anyway

tim

If I can substitute orange for lemon, then no problem. :-) Doesn't everyone have some alcohol and citric acid lying around?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
Don't use washing up liquid. Try this mix for a DIY solution
http://www.agoodsimplelife.com/dishwasher-rinse-aid

well

I hardly consider

citric acid,
rubbing alcohol
lemon essential oil

as common ingredients

like I already have them in my cupboard - not

by the time I have put that little lot together I could have bought the
commercial stuff

If I can substitute orange for lemon, then no problem. :-)
Doesn't everyone have some alcohol and citric acid lying
around?

We certainly do. But if rubbing alcohol is surgical spirit, it
contains something intended to taste nasty (most drinking
alcohol wont be strong enough), so I wonder whether American
surgical spirit doesnt?

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2014-04-05)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
Don't use washing up liquid. Try this mix for a DIY solution
http://www.agoodsimplelife.com/dishwasher-rinse-aid

well

I hardly consider

citric acid,
rubbing alcohol
lemon essential oil

as common ingredients

like I already have them in my cupboard - not

by the time I have put that little lot together I could have bought the
commercial stuff

If I can substitute orange for lemon, then no problem. :-)
Doesn't everyone have some alcohol and citric acid lying
around?

We certainly do. But if rubbing alcohol is surgical spirit, it
contains something intended to taste nasty (most drinking
alcohol wont be strong enough), so I wonder whether American
surgical spirit doesnt?

Yes it does, and some states allow the sale of neat ethanol in liqueur
stored.

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2014-04-05)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2020 11:56, tim... wrote:

I am out of rinse aid (and am disinclined to make a special trip to the
supermarket to buy some)

can I make some more by watering down washing up liquid, or will that not
work?

Get some genuine stuff. Amazon's best seller:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Finish-Rins.../dp/B0080OXKXM

2 x 800ml Finish rinse aid, choice of Original or Lemon, free delivery.

Get some dishwasher powder/tabs while you're at it...

--
Spike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Tue, 5 May 2020 19:17:17 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 May 2020 at 10:19:18 BST, "Spike" wrote:

On 04/05/2020 11:56, tim... wrote:

I am out of rinse aid (and am disinclined to make a special trip to the
supermarket to buy some)

can I make some more by watering down washing up liquid, or will that not
work?

Get some genuine stuff. Amazon's best seller:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Finish-Rins.../dp/B0080OXKXM

2 x 800ml Finish rinse aid, choice of Original or Lemon, free delivery.

Get some dishwasher powder/tabs while you're at it...

Or just use all-in-1 tablets - removes the need for salt and rinse aid.
Haven't put either in my dishwasher for a long time . . .

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Citric acid has long been on my list of items that I want in my cupboard as
cheap generic scale remover, because I don't like the smell of vinegar

but I have never (since about 1970) seen anywhere openly selling it,

so no, I don't have some in my cupboards (I just suffer the smell of the
vinegar)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Well us home distillers have - certainly up to 90% ABV

there was me thinking home distilling was illegal

(personally don't care cos it's not my choice of tipple)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2020 11:56, tim... wrote:

I am out of rinse aid (and am disinclined to make a special trip to the
supermarket to buy some)

can I make some more by watering down washing up liquid, or will that
not work?

Get some genuine stuff. Amazon's best seller:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Finish-Rins.../dp/B0080OXKXM

2 x 800ml Finish rinse aid, choice of Original or Lemon, free delivery.

Get some dishwasher powder/tabs while you're at it...

Or just use all-in-1 tablets - removes the need for salt and rinse aid.
Haven't put either in my dishwasher for a long time . . .

actually, it seems very difficult to buy anything other than 3-in-1 ATM

I was looking for some more powder, but I ended up having to buy 3-in-1 tabs

but I'm still working my way through the last lot of powder

That's looking at own brands BTW, I think I could have bought a branded
powder - at about twice the price per wash of the own brand tabs

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2020 11:56, tim... wrote:

I am out of rinse aid (and am disinclined to make a special trip to the
supermarket to buy some)

can I make some more by watering down washing up liquid, or will that not
work?

Get some genuine stuff. Amazon's best seller:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Finish-Rins.../dp/B0080OXKXM

2 x 800ml Finish rinse aid, choice of Original or Lemon, free delivery.

Get some dishwasher powder/tabs while you're at it...

Or just use all-in-1 tablets - removes the need for salt and rinse aid.

Same here. Due to lack of availability of our normal tab, we've been
using Finish Powerball tabs - results so far are excellent.

Haven't put either in my dishwasher for a long time . . .

Me neither...but the OP asked about rinse aid...

--
Spike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... has brought this to us :
Citric acid has long been on my list of items that I want in my cupboard as
cheap generic scale remover, because I don't like the smell of vinegar

but I have never (since about 1970) seen anywhere openly selling it,

so no, I don't have some in my cupboards (I just suffer the smell of the
vinegar)

Homebrew home wine shops stock it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2020 14:44, Andrew wrote:

I use Ilford Ilfotol wetting agent intended for the final
rinse when developing film. Brilliant for cleaning glass
and leaving a streak-free finish.

Filtered de-ionised water works well for streak free finishes on
windows, mirrors etc. (even when cleaned in full sunshine). Just let the
windows drip dry.

I have a filter kit that I initially purchased for for producing water
for my fishtank. It can produce 25 litres in around 6 hours that I now
use for cleaning windows etc.

I use a brush or fluffy bar to initially remove any grime (perhaps with
some detergent applied directly to the brush/bar if the windows have
stubborn dirt). A large garden sprayer that only ever used for filtered
water is then used to thoroughly rinse down the windows. The windows are
then just left. Internal glass has a light spray with the filtered
water and then dried with a paper kitchen towel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/20 09:56, Jon Fairbairn wrote:

We certainly do. But if rubbing alcohol is surgical spirit, it
contains something intended to taste nasty (most drinking
alcohol wont be strong enough), so I wonder whether American
surgical spirit doesnt?

I've always assumed rubbing alcohol was iso-propyl alcohol but I could
be wrong. By pure chance I bought a litre last year and us it as hand
sanitiser.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to techie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 May 2020 13:00:54 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:

tim... has brought this to us :
Citric acid has long been on my list of items that I want in my
cupboard as cheap generic scale remover, because I don't like the smell
of vinegar

but I have never (since about 1970) seen anywhere openly selling it,

so no, I don't have some in my cupboards (I just suffer the smell of
the vinegar)

Homebrew home wine shops stock it.

I buy it at the chemist.

Although one chemist (I was in a different part of town and it was the
most convenient) was very iffy about selling it to me. I think he thought
it was for drug-related activities.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2020 11:56, tim... wrote:

[...]

I get 5kg tubs of dishwasher powder from CPC. I don't get the 10kg ones
because they don't fit in the cupboard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
Citric acid has long been on my list of items that I want in my cupboard
as cheap generic scale remover, because I don't like the smell of
vinegar

but I have never (since about 1970) seen anywhere openly selling it,

I recently bought it from Ebay in powder form for the purpose of cleaning
out the heater matrix on the old car, having been told it's the safest way.

Not sure it is food grade, though.

--
*I went to school to become a wit, only got halfway through.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2020 11:56, tim... wrote:

I am out of rinse aid (and am disinclined to make a special trip to
the supermarket to buy some)

can I make some more by watering down washing up liquid, or will that
not work?

Get some genuine stuff. Amazon's best seller:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Finish-Rins.../dp/B0080OXKXM

2 x 800ml Finish rinse aid, choice of Original or Lemon, free delivery.

Get some dishwasher powder/tabs while you're at it...

Or just use all-in-1 tablets - removes the need for salt and rinse aid.
Haven't put either in my dishwasher for a long time . . .

Even with 3-in-1, our salt does get used ... slowly.

the salt dispensing mechanic won't know that you have 3-in-1 tab

it will dispense whatever amount of salt you have programmed regardless
what's in the soap tray

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2020 11:56, tim... wrote:

I am out of rinse aid (and am disinclined to make a special trip to the
supermarket to buy some)

can I make some more by watering down washing up liquid, or will that
not work?

Get some genuine stuff. Amazon's best seller:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Finish-Rins.../dp/B0080OXKXM

2 x 800ml Finish rinse aid, choice of Original or Lemon, free delivery.

Get some dishwasher powder/tabs while you're at it...

Or just use all-in-1 tablets - removes the need for salt and rinse aid.

All in 1 tablets dont remove the need for rinse aid.

There is no way for anything in the tablet to still be in the
dishwasher in the final rinse phase. Its not physically possible.

Haven't put either in my dishwasher for a long time . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 6 May 2020 05:46:59 +1000, Joshua Snow, better known as cantankerous

John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2020 11:56, tim... wrote:

I am out of rinse aid (and am disinclined to make a special trip to
the supermarket to buy some)

can I make some more by watering down washing up liquid, or will that
not work?

Get some genuine stuff. Amazon's best seller:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Finish-Rins.../dp/B0080OXKXM

2 x 800ml Finish rinse aid, choice of Original or Lemon, free delivery.

Get some dishwasher powder/tabs while you're at it...

Or just use all-in-1 tablets - removes the need for salt and rinse aid.
Haven't put either in my dishwasher for a long time . . .

Even with 3-in-1, our salt does get used ... slowly.

the salt dispensing mechanic won't know that you have 3-in-1 tab

it will dispense whatever amount of salt you have programmed regardless
what's in the soap tray

And there is no way that any tablet can have anything still in the
dishwasher in the final rinse cycle to eliminate the need for a rinse aid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 07:53 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER THREE HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Wed, 6 May 2020 07:26:43 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

07:53 already??? LMAO STILL no intention of going back to bed, you sleepless
trolling senile asshole? LOL

being widely accepted."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 5 May 2020 12:05:30 UTC+1, tim... wrote:

Citric acid has long been on my list of items that I want in my cupboard as
cheap generic scale remover, because I don't like the smell of vinegar

but I have never (since about 1970) seen anywhere openly selling it,

so no, I don't have some in my cupboards (I just suffer the smell of the
vinegar)

Chemists, online or shops that sell big bags of spices. AIUI it's mainly bought by drug injectors, so funny attitudes are always possible.

Rinse-aid is hardly essential.

NT